Villa latest accounts

andykeenan

I need certain figures explained in detail if I am to carry on supporting 'the plan' as on the face of it which I am pretty sure is much worse than it actually is costs have been driven down but costs are still way too high to spend 20m a year on smaller amounts of new players who will command bigger wages even with a new TV deal.

I'm not waiting another year for that either whilst being a supporter of what is going on at the club it is too much to ask.

I really do think its survive on the cheap until a buyer is found.

QPR would appear to be in the stinky stuff.  They've just posted a £65m loss, which is a smidge over the Championship maximum allowance of er, £4m.

The sanctions for non-compliance are:

For teams promoted to the Premier League:

A transfer embargo that stays in place until they are compliant, and

A fine based on how much over the Fair Play threshold.  It starts with 1% if a team is £1 to £100,000 over, eg a maximun £1K.  For teams more than £10m over, it's 100% of the excess over £10m, which if I'm understanding it right would mean that QPR would be fined over £50m.  This is clearly desgined to say to teams that if they overspend by £50m to get out of the Premier League, they might make that back from the Prem TV money, but we'll have most of it back in the form of a fine, thank you very much.

Clubs remaining in the Championship would 'only' face the transfer embargo.  QPR won't face any sanctions this season as it's their first in the Championship, but if they don't go up they're going to find it very expensive.

Whichever way those of us who are not investing our personal fortunes want to look at it, it is very very clear that hundreds of millions of pounds are required year on year to remain near the top of the League - and that huge increases are needed for each additional place. Even just the last couple of pages about us, Liverpool, United and City, and QPR, must be enough to scare any fan to death !!

I just dont see that we - or almost any other Club - would really want to take that risk.  It can only be a matter of time before the whole thing destroys itself.

The sooner the ridiculously rich 2 or 3 clear off and form a Super League the better.

Until then if it is shown that we can only afford 10th, 15th, 18th, or Championship, I will prefer that to the short term 'bubble' approach.  It would be interesting to know whether there are any fans who would rather we 'risked it' anymore.  I know of none personally.

What I would criticise the Club for would be not being totally clear about the real position, one way or the other, with the fans.  With the best will in the world, whether it is good news or bad, I want that from the Club rather than fans.

• Like 2

Our days of top 4 challenges are done. What I think we could be is a top 6 challenger. We were 9th in terms of revenue (that could lower due to the way Lerner has run things) so you'd expect us to be spending the money that gets us a top half finish. Then with a decent manager, some smart signings and a mix of highly rated youth players I'd hope we could be a team that usually finishes 6-9 and on the odd year with a bit of luck challenge for that 6th place. If Everton can be that sort of club why can't we?

It is only 4 years since we had the 6th highest revenue in the league.

There is no reason without some relative success, which would be challenging for top 6 finishes, being competitive in the cups perhaps reaching the odd final, playing in the Europa league, that we couldn't get back to having the 6th highest income.

It will though obviously take a very good manager being backed well, but sensibly, by a good owner to get us there.

Edited by markavfc40

QPR would appear to be in the stinky stuff. They've just posted a £65m loss, which is a smidge over the Championship maximum allowance of er, £4m.

The sanctions for non-compliance are:

For teams promoted to the Premier League:

A transfer embargo that stays in place until they are compliant, and

A fine based on how much over the Fair Play threshold. It starts with 1% if a team is £1 to £100,000 over, eg a maximun £1K. For teams more than £10m over, it's 100% of the excess over £10m, which if I'm understanding it right would mean that QPR would be fined over £50m. This is clearly desgined to say to teams that if they overspend by £50m to get out of the Premier League, they might make that back from the Prem TV money, but we'll have most of it back in the form of a fine, thank you very much.

Clubs remaining in the Championship would 'only' face the transfer embargo. QPR won't face any sanctions this season as it's their first in the Championship, but if they don't go up they're going to find it very expensive.

Wasn't the £65m loss for last season when they were in the prem? So maybe more now?

Were over the hill with the finances, our losses will only fall from here. I think there are a few clubs who are still going up the hill in terms of losses and a small hitch with the TV revenue will hit them well before it hits us.

The thing is if the "big clubs" do pull away and make their own league who's going to watch them? I wouldn't and I don't think many neutrals will either, its a big risk for them. What the others clubs should make perfectly clear is that once they have made the move there will not be an easy way back in for them when the "super duper league" goes tits up.

When Lerner took over his club he KNEW he wasn't going to make money. He said himself if that was the aim he wouldn't have bought a football club.

He made the decisions to spend, spend, spend - which I supported as I believed he had enough sense to actually know what he was doing - my mistake!

Yes, Cittee have come on since then but nothing else has really changed.

This is a knee jerk reaction by a man who is playing with the family jewels (no pun intended) at the risk to the club and the fans.

He is a passing ship in the night, AVFC will be here long after the fool goes like it was here long before he popped along.

Show us you are a man of truth by accepting you have failed and get another 'Custodian' in to try and move us forward as wit hyou we are going backwards.

Progress? What progress???

• Like 2

Our days of top 4 challenges are done. What I think we could be is a top 6 challenger. We were 9th in terms of revenue (that could lower due to the way Lerner has run things) so you'd expect us to be spending the money that gets us a top half finish. Then with a decent manager, some smart signings and a mix of highly rated youth players I'd hope we could be a team that usually finishes 6-9 and on the odd year with a bit of luck challenge for that 6th place. If Everton can be that sort of club why can't we?

Our days of consistently challenging for the top 4 ended in about 1933. Villa have only come in the top 4 5 times in the last 80 years and won one  FA Cup and League title. Perhaps we are not as big as some fans think we are?! Top 8 and a good cup run is the best we can hope for for the foreseeable future.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

Our days of consistently challenging for the top 4 ended in about 1933. Villa have only come in the top 4 5 times in the last 80 years and won one FA Cup and League title. Perhaps we are not as big as some fans think we are?! Top 8 and a good cup run is the best we can hope for for the foreseeable future.

What success did Man City have before their more recent takeover? What have Spurs won? Newcastle?

• Like 1

Our days of consistently challenging for the top 4 ended in about 1933. Villa have only come in the top 4 5 times in the last 80 years and won one FA Cup and League title. Perhaps we are not as big as some fans think we are?! Top 8 and a good cup run is the best we can hope for for the foreseeable future.

What success did Man City have before their more recent takeover? What have Spurs won? Newcastle?

Man City are based in every one's favourite second city (well in the media's eyes), Newcastle have the whole of a large city supporting them and Spurs are in London. Unless we are deemed hip enough like City to be bought by a multi billionaire sugar daddy, we will be at best a top 8 side. Villa are not a London club (money) but often like the provincial  pride of a northern side (mass support/lack of nearby rivals). The worst of both worlds.

Edited by The Fun Factory

City's purchase had nothing to do with their Manchester location it was a case of circumstance and a chance meeting. The rest much like United's dominance is history.

Partly to do with the fact they have a new stadium which they got due to the Commonwealth games in Manchester?

You've changed your view if you meant stadiums and city size then...

"Our days of consistently challenging for the top 4 ended in about 1933. Villa have only come in the top 4 5 times in the last 80 years and won one FA Cup and League title. Perhaps we are not as big as some fans think we are?! Top 8 and a good cup run is the best we can hope for for the foreseeable future."

Edited by dodgyknees

You've changed your view if you meant stadiums and city size then...

"Our days of consistently challenging for the top 4 ended in about 1933. Villa have only come in the top 4 5 times in the last 80 years and won one FA Cup and League title. Perhaps we are not as big as some fans think we are?! Top 8 and a good cup run is the best we can hope for for the foreseeable future."

Oh no I have added to my views. I didn't know it was a zero sum game. What I am saying is that without a rich zillionaire owner like Manchester City we will struggle to compete at the very top. This is due a lot of reasons but some of this is due to the fact we are not in London nor a one city club like Newcastle, or being owned by someone with more money than sense. We are not as big as some fans think as our records coming in the top 4  and attendance levels, suggest since the 1930's. Cheez.

Â