Villa latest accounts

andykeenan

That's why I somewhat agree with rules about clubs not being aloud to lose money, but I don't agree with them not being able to increase their wage bill if they can keep the books balanced. For instance, if Villa had a flukey good year and made the champions league, they might want to bring it better, more expensive players to consolidate their position, not to mention expanding the squad. However, even though they'd be getting like £15m from the UCL and a considerable amount extra in premier league prize money, they could only raise the wage bill £5m, meaning they'd be very unlikely to qualify and the big clubs could regain their position.

Clubs can increase their overall wage bill by more than those annual caps if the extra comes from matchday/commercial revenue, I believe.

Oh well that's better at least. I still hate the idea that it's aloud in the rules for Man U or arsenal or Chelsea to spend a certain amount of money, but villa or Newcastle aren't allowed to spend that amount of money.

Oh well that's better at least. I still hate the idea that it's aloud in the rules for Man U or arsenal or Chelsea to spend a certain amount of money, but villa or Newcastle aren't allowed to spend that amount of money.

We 'could' if we were clever, I'm not sure we are though. Nice old Villa, stick right down the middle.

Hold on: nobody knows whether those deals mentioned (such as the Man City's ladies team) are allowed or not. These type of deals/arrangements will be put under the microscope in the next few months by the panel tasked to review them. Let's wait and see*.

(*Not like I expect anything to be done, but still).

Hold on: nobody knows whether those deals mentioned (such as the Man City's ladies team) are allowed or not. These type of deals/arrangements will be put under the microscope in the next few months by the panel tasked to review them. Let's wait and see*.

Apparently they're against the spirit of the rule, but UEFA didn't define it, only that they'd investigate deals where they felt the company paying was too closely linked to the club, by not defining what "too closely" meant, they've opened themselves to court cases that they won't win, so they'll most likely turn a blind eye.

Apparently they're against the spirit of the rule, but UEFA didn't define it, only that they'd investigate deals where they felt the company paying was too closely linked to the club, by not defining what "too closely" meant, they've opened themselves to court cases that they won't win, so they'll most likely turn a blind eye.

That's not quite true mate. UEFA set up an entirely independent panel so that they could remove themselves from legal action. The only recourse clubs will have is one of appeal; these will be looked at by the Court of Arbitration in Sport. UEFA set the rules; the panel interpret and apply them. Clubs will have no facility to go through the civil courts of their own country either.

That's not quite true mate. UEFA set up an entirely independent panel so that they could remove themselves from legal action. The only recourse clubs will have is one of appeal; these will be looked at by the Court of Arbitration in Sport. UEFA set the rules; the panel interpret and apply them. Clubs will have no facility to go through the civil courts of their own country either.

That might be considered an illegal restraint of trade though, especially where these rules have been brought in after the fact. You might get both clubs and players suing EUFA in that case.

I still hate the idea that it's aloud in the rules for Man U or arsenal or Chelsea to spend a certain amount of money, but villa or Newcastle aren't allowed to spend that amount of money.

I'd imagine they'd be trying to keep it quiet.

• Like 4

Not many people buy football clubs for the profit either?

Lerner's own valuation of the club will not have changed whether the money he has put in is a loan or to buy shares?

Would Lerner get any personal tax breaks if he changes the money from being a loan to shares? ie could he write off the money against he own tax bill for a £90m loss? Remember the Lerner trust has just received a large amount of money from the sale of the Browns?

I am not a US tax accountant, but:

Lerner could pay close to 50% of the interest annually in taxes between the feds and New York.

He converts it to equity, the tax becomes about 20% on the capital gain (difference between Villa's selling price and what he paid for it).

For every year he holds on to the Villa it's about 3 million pounds in tax savings.

Â