No Noise From The Holte End Boys?

villa-revolution

I have been watching Villa since 1968. Although the memory obviously plays tricks, yesterday against West Ham is the first time that I can ever remember the Holte End not raising one single chant or song throughout the entire 90 minutes of the game.

Who owns the ultimate responsibility for this? Do the fans need to motivate the players no matter how we are performing or do the players need to motivate & inspire the fans first?

How can anyone possibly begin to explain yesterday's abysmal & dismal atmosphere from  home supporters drowning in misery?

Bottom Line:

" Sing when we're losing, we need to sing when we're losing."

Erm, yes we did.

Numerous times.

It wasn't as passionate or ferocious as the Baggies game, but that was a derby.

This is a silly thread.

Yeah I agree there were chants, mainly aimed at west ham having one song, then of course the obligatory Paul McGrath my lord, cockney scum, same old cockneys always cheating, super Marc etc

It's been getting gradually quieter for a few years now. Even when we do sing it's normally something embarrassing like "empty seats my lord" toward the away fans, despite us having massive areas of empty seats. 

I really cringe when that gets song, and the s#it support my lord. especially when the away team have rammed there end out.

• Like 1

This lack of atmosphere at times isn't unique to us. I have been to plenty of away games and the home crowd are often subdued and waiting for something on the pitch to kick them into action and get them going.

Ever since I have been going to VP, which is over 30 years, aside from the big games/derby games/games where there is a lot riding on the result it has always in the main been the case that the crowd will be triggered by what is being served up on the pitch. Our crowd in terms of noise and atmosphere though stands up very well against most other clubs.

Given our atrocious home record over the last few years I really don't know what more people expect.

• Like 1

It was flat yesterday but I just put it down to the fact the wind was ripping everyone's faces off. Yesterday I had 2 t shirts on 2 hoodie and a coat and scarf and I was still freezing.

Ah! This was you then?

a_560x375.jpg

• Like 1

If you've been coming down to Villa Park since 1968 then surely you'd be aware that since the introduction of all-seater stadia, and the pricing out of many of the working class fraternity due to extortionate ticket prices, most home areas of support in grounds up and down the country are quiet for the vast majority of the time.

It is no coincidence that away days, when everybody is pissed up and stands all game, are when you get any sort of atmosphere nowadays. The exception to the rule being derby games, the odd dramatic/exciting game and European nights (like Ajax a few years ago).

There are a small but dedicated bunch at the back of the Holte End who sing and try to create an atmosphere every single game. And a similarly small but dedicated bunch in the lower North who do the same. Yes, I agree, some of the chants which are sung are pretty cringeworthy but that is besides the point really. Unfortunately, and sadly, the vast majority of supporters prefer to sit in silence for 90 minutes in the modern game, clearly encapsulated by our one-touch, dynamic football. Jesting aside, the fact we have (probably?) the worst home record of any Football League club over the past 3/4 seasons probably has something to do with the number of 'loud' chants which catch on around the ground.

But to try and claim nobody was singing yesterday is just plain wrong. For it to come from somebody who has been coming down Villa Park for so long is pretty bizarre. I can only assume you were singing so loud yourself in the lower North that you didn't notice...

• Like 1

You either weren't listening or you were just submerged too far into the North Stand to hear because there was quite a few chants yesterday?

"What the ****, what the ****, what the ******* hell was that" was probably the loudest chant I can remember - which speaks for itself.

If you've been coming down to Villa Park since 1968 then surely you'd be aware that since the introduction of all-seater stadia, and the pricing out of many of the working class fraternity due to extortionate ticket prices, most home areas of support in grounds up and down the country are quiet for the vast majority of the time.

It is no coincidence that away days, when everybody is pissed up and stands all game, are when you get any sort of atmosphere nowadays. The exception to the rule being derby games, the odd dramatic/exciting game and European nights (like Ajax a few years ago).

There are a small but dedicated bunch at the back of the Holte End who sing and try to create an atmosphere every single game. And a similarly small but dedicated bunch in the lower North who do the same. Yes, I agree, some of the chants which are sung are pretty cringeworthy but that is besides the point really. Unfortunately, and sadly, the vast majority of supporters prefer to sit in silence for 90 minutes in the modern game, clearly encapsulated by our one-touch, dynamic football. Jesting aside, the fact we have (probably?) the worst home record of any Football League club over the past 3/4 seasons probably has something to do with the number of 'loud' chants which catch on around the ground.

But to try and claim nobody was singing yesterday is just plain wrong. For it to come from somebody who has been coming down Villa Park for so long is pretty bizarre. I can only assume you were singing so loud yourself in the lower North that you didn't notice...

I was in my usual seat in the North Stand yesterday & it was not just me who commented on how quiet the Holte End were for the entire game. I am not having a go either because conversely at times last season in similar adverse circumstances the home crowd have been simply magnificent.

Also, I am fully aware of the Villa fans that sing in the lower left hand side of the North Stand, so credit to them & yes I did hear them singing too yesterday. However & paradoxically, the loudest chant I heard at Villa Park was "It's so quiet, it's so quiet, it's so quiet at Villa Park, " sung ironically by the Wet Spam fans.

I think the biggest cheer was for the girl who nearly won the half time competition.

Has anyone actually won anything yet? Every attempt I've seen is further off target than a Tonev shot!

I'm gonna start sitting in the Holte End from now on. Sat in the North Stand twice this season - it's not great.

I prefer the North stand, purely because whenever I go in the Holte end I end up next to some scumbag chav screaming utter shite for the whole game...... think my favourite ever was some guy acting like a hard man the whole game shouting "we'll see what you got after the game you c***s" etc etc then mid way through the second half a bee flew near him and he screamed like a girl and was like "wtf was that!?" to which I replied ".... a bee." :D

We were losing by 1 goal and he left after about 75 mins so needless too say, the away fans didn't get to "see what he's got" after the game lol.

• Like 1

I think the biggest cheer was for the girl who nearly won the half time competition.

Has anyone actually won anything yet? Every attempt I've seen is further off target than a Tonev shot!

The girl on Saturday was agonisingly close, she got a massive cheer because we all thought she'd done, then it just flopped off at the end.

As for noise in the Holte, the Brigada sang throughout the game, shame there's only about 20 of them.  They come armed with all the Ultras flags and stuff.  I do cringe at the amount of Blues songs they sing though, especially 'Karen Brady is a beeping slaaaaaaaaaaaag'.  I mean really?

Â