Wes Hoolahan

LockStockVilla

Hahaha you can't question a Lambert signing unless you have extensive knowledge of players and fees across world football?

Who said that? If you want to pipe up and criticize in a very derogatory way Lambert's intention to sign Hoolahan and come across very much like you think it's a piece of piss to find a number 10 on a budget. If they are 10 a penny, or a dime a dozen, then surely someone will have heard of one of them?

No?

But no one knows how much clubs would be willing to sell for or what wages players are on at other teams.

I don't think its that far fetched to believe Hoolahan, a 31 year old sitting on the bench at Norwich, is the only option we could sign in world football.

Right, I don't think anyone is suggesting he is. Here's another one at the end of their career though who I think would be better than Hoolahan, Andrea Cossu :) We could offer him a nice bumper deal to finish his career off and he might go for it. Cagliari would liek some cash too...

Smithy07 - you seem to be completely ignoring the fact that Hoolahan has handed in two transfer requests, one of which he has made public.

Player is unhappy. You've your manager to thank for that of course, but what's done is done. He's mentally already out the door.

Not ignoring it. He probably does fancy the move to Villa for a longer contract on good wages and to play for a more attacking manager but it makes no difference really unless someone offers a fee that we accept. he signed a contract extension last season so he has to abide by that unless the club says otherwise. That is the fundamental point. Many players have handed in transfer requests before and stayed at their clubs. Indeed the suggestion from Dennis appears to be that he handed in the request after having a request for a contract extension turned down by Mcnally (i.e. we would not match the length of contract you appear to be offering). 

As an aside, by the way, all of this "bad blood" is a shame.  I've always quite liked Norwich and they're not really an offensive club (unlike, for example, Sunderland and West Ham who I actively want to be relegated).

I'm just hoping that the persuit of Wes is over if Norwich don't want to sell.  There's only a week left and we really do need a creative midfielder so let's just look elsewhere and leave him with them.

• Like 1

They've always been a nothing club to me.  Nothing changes that.

Never disliked them though until the way they performed when Lambert left them to join a bigger and better club.  The way they have behaved this month merely exacerbates that.

I like how the Norwich fans ignore that the reporter actually bought Grant Holt into the story and then say their club is behaving correctly. Trying to make accusations that he was on a list of players PL wanted rid of, any reason to break that story now, oh yes he has just joined Villa.

They really are being stupid. Why ruin potential deals in the future? Maybe one day we'll have a player that would improve their team.

This.

No matter how sour the Lambert deal turned, you never burn your bridges like this. In any form of business never mind a landscape as constantly changing and evolving as football.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

They've always been a nothing club to me.  Nothing changes that.

Never disliked them though until the way they performed when Lambert left them to join a bigger and better club.  The way they have behaved this month merely exacerbates that.

I've nothing against Villa other than fans who display this sort of smug and pompous attitude. Lived in Brum for a while and you are a bit of a moaney old bunch but at least Villa and WBA fans don;t generally have the aggressive streak you get in Blues or Wolves fans.

Particularly ironic when only 1 point separates us in the league and you are desperate to sign a player who does not regularly get in our side!  

We were entitled to compensation for our manager (which you tried to deny us) and we are entitled to whatever fees we deem fit for our contracted players. The fact that you have tried to get both on the cheap suggests that it's you who are showing the small club mentality not us. A "bigger and better" club should really show more class in the way it goes about things.

I like this using of class, you do not know the reasons PL left Norwich and still don't. The only version you have is of motormouth McAnally. As for us being a point ahead, considering we have played two of the top 4 twice, wouldn't get so excited about that just yet. It's also ironic how you are on a Villa site.

• Like 1

I suspect Lambert's spoken to the player, promising him first team football. The player has then slapped in a transfer request, leaving us obliged to sign the player. As someone who knows him personally, I can't imagine Lambert will want to disrupt the player then leave him high and dry at Norwich.

• Like 1

There is a difference between the size of a club and the quality of a club's team. I think you're getting the two confused, Nottingham Forest is a bigger club than Norwich, I'd go as far as saying Leicester City is too. Both are playing in the Championship and both are pretty big clubs, but are their teams better than the Norwich team? Its debatable but based on league standings you would have to say no.

Aston Villa is easily a bigger club than Norwich, it isn't debatable.

• Like 1

I suspect Lambert's spoken to the player, promising him first team football. The player has then slapped in a transfer request, leaving us obliged to sign the player. As someone who knows him personally, I can't imagine Lambert will want to disrupt the player then leave him high and dry at Norwich.

You know Paul Lambert?  Ask him why he left this forum.

Well normally i'd be gutted and annoyed if we failed to land a target

But i'm really not bothered if we fail to get Hoolahan i don't know how many others feel this way but the best way i can describe the whole fiasco is "meh"

I don't know if its his ability as a footballer or the fact he comes from a smaller club but as much as i try i really cannot get excited with the prospect of him being a villa player

I think i was more excited by the signing of Bertrand even though he isnt even our player

Edited by AshVilla

Â