Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

Basically sums up what I feel

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10263071/midseason-premier-league-report-card

Goodman: Christian Benteke, after a phenomenal breakout year, has fallen off the face of the earth, negatively affecting both Villa's offensive output

Probably not helping him when we spend more time in our own half than any other team................

Finally I don't have a doomed assessment of our club. I have however right from the start of Lambert's tenure voiced my concerns that he would make us into another Norwich. A team full of gusto and spirit but lacking in any real quality. I feel that original opinion to date has been vilified.

Don't you mean vindicated rather than vilified?

Actually I would say that Lambert has disappointed me by not even turning us into another Norwich. I thought Norwich under Lambert played decent football even though some of the players were a bit lacking in quality. They were certainly better to watch in their first season after promotion than Villa have been (mostly) since he took over.

My hope was that he would bring to Villa the same ability (as I saw it) to get the most out of players, with maybe some additional investment in players to take us to a higher level than what we saw with him at Norwich. So far we seem to be struggling to even reach that level.

Yes mate that's the word and many thanks for the correction. Post now corrected.

I seriously doubt Lambert told the players to not worry about the result

You actually don't get what I'm saying. That's OK.

Well explain what you're saying then? No need to talk like that.

Edited by Mantis

The Guardian has an interesting write-up showing key stats for all PL teams at the halfway stage for the season.

WhoScored-Villa-001.jpg

Clearly the most worrying stats there are possession and passing accuracy (which are obviously linked -- teams that can pass better are able to keep the ball better). 14th for shots per game and conversion rate need to be worked on also, that's due to the counter-attacking game we play, current poor finishing from our attackers, and our above-noted inability to pass/keep the ball.

Our positive stats seem to balance out the poor ones, leaving us with an overall rating of 10th in the league. My feeling is that if Lambert gets one or two guys in this transfer window who can boost those passing and possession stats, we'll at least solidify our current mid-table standing and likely improve on it.

If that doesn't scream 'WE NEED A NEW MIDFIELD!' I don't know what will.

Have to admit, I think dismissing Lambert is such a bad idea that I find the thread title offensive and annoying. I just realized I've been avoiding the thread hoping it would drop off the first page. Can we not rename it something less inflammatory?

• Like 1

It's not immediately clear why all those low rankings from WhoScored.com would average out as 10th. I can't find anything on their site that explains it.

I believe that's on a scale of where other teams rank according to the stats. Our defensive stats (which have taken a tumble during Vlaar's absence) appear to be balancing out our attacking stats. I'm not sure the graphic shows all of the stats that are in consideration, either - they are gathered from Whoscored.com, so maybe other stats not shown here are figured in -- blocks, saves, etc? Just a guess.

I don't think it's fair to assume that they weren't going to get scolded for losing. It's not like an inept home defeat has been anything unusual or uncommon over the past couple of years.

And I think you underestimate the comments of a manager on his players. Otherwise we could all do it. I think it's very fair to make the assumption and it played out in front of our eyes.

We have no way of knowing though. I seriously doubt Lambert told the players to not worry about the result and I don't have a hard time believing that he was pretty pissed off after we lost.

And if Paul wasn't pissed off, all the more reason why we should be, and are...

But for now, bring on the Gunners. I'm desperate for a win... a point... some spirit please.

FOOTBALL 365 have the debate for us!

http://www.football365.com/faves/9108140/Debate365

The last line in "the defence" on that article is so true.

It’s the best article I read on Villa in a long time. It pretty much echoes the argument going on in my head.

For what’s its worth the end sums it up for me and I think PL should be given the time to implement his plan.

However Daniel Storey hits the nail on the head for me too in this paragraph

"The sad conclusion is that Fabian Delph is the only player in Aston Villa's first team squad that has improved on last season. One or two and you could blame the troops, 10-15 and you question their leader. Surely the point of managing younger players is that you improve them? Without that, he has nothing, and standing still is rarely good enough."

I agree with both sides of the argument and I think, if this were a normal managerial role, he'd be under more pressure from more sides right now.  However, it's a fairly unique job given the nature of cost cutting that has been evidently needed.  Standing still is indeed rarely good enough, but I think we'd all take standing still for 2 seasons right now if it means that we can add quality in the long run (i.e: the summer onwards).

I'd also say that Ciaran Clark has improved by the way, and arguably Baker too (although I still think he's far too rash at times).