The R word

villanwesty88

Still can't believe people thought we weren't in this battle

We're in it more now, as we've picked up one point in five games. Five games ago, I think the people who were fairly confident that we wouldn't go down were right to think that.

I can't believe that a relegation thread gets made every season now, usually before Christmas, just because we're hanging around the 14th/ 15th position, in what we know is an extremely tight league.

The signs were always there though. No matter how tight the league might be, there were always signs were could go on a terrible run. This is the second time we have lost four and drawn one. We are not good enough

The signs have been there pretty much all season. The squad has lacked strength in depth which is why action desperately needed to be taken in January. Add to that the fact the football we have produced for most of the season has been poor then many could see that we were always likely to catch a cold.

It is understandable that many of us fans couldn't see what was coming. It is however unforgivable that the manager seemed totally oblivious to it.

Since we beat Chelsea we have played like a team with nothing to play for. Even yesterday for the first 30 minutes you'd have thought it was us and not Southampton who had little really to play for.

It is that lack of being switched on and giving our all in the last few weeks that worries me. Against Stoke we were bullied all over the park. Against Fulham they arguably had better players but bottom line is they wanted it more, against Palace a team also not blessed with quality they won simply because they wanted it way more. Whilst we were content to see out the game and go through the motions they kept driving at us. Then yesterday when you think we'd come out 100mph closing down Southampton battling for every ball really giving it a go we started like it was a pre season friendly.

If we are to survive off our own doing then we immediately need to start giving our all and playing like a team that knows the severity of the situation it is in.

Agree with this.

The signs have been there for the majority of the season. There were some who ignored what was happening and pointed to us being 10th or 11th but most could clearly see the shocking performances and awful results.

Yup, i have times to times pointed out the importance of looking behind a result, It's easy to ignore it if you win, but its still important.

Yup, i have times to times pointed out the importance of looking behind a result, It's easy to ignore it if you win, but its still important.

Our problem at the moment is that we are not playing as well as we were when we got these so-called "lucky" wins. If we were we'd be a lot better off.

Our problem at the moment is that we are not playing as well as we were when we got these so-called "lucky" wins. If we were we'd be a lot better off.

I don't agree. Take the Southampton away game as an example. Do you seriously think that having 22% of the ball and lose the shot stats 21 to 8, is "playing well"? Thats actually ridicilous to say, I'm sorry but that's just not true. We can ride out our luck in a couple of matches, but not throughout a season.

Not needed, no. But fair if you want to be pessimistic.

I don't believe in suffocating discussion. And if the most miserable ones have their own thread, maybe they'll leave the other threads alone. Maybe...

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a thread, I was simply saying I can't believe relegation threads were created, back when 1/3 of the season has passed (usually after a defeat). I'm all for discussion.

I was just responding to BJ10, who said he couldn't believe that people thought we weren't in the battle.

Sorry Rob for my bad wording. Didn't mean to accuse you of anything, hope you didn't take it that way.

• Like 1

I don't agree. Take the Southampton away game as an example. Do you seriously think that having 22% of the ball and lose the shot stats 21 to 8, is "playing well"? Thats actually ridicilous to say, I'm sorry but that's just not true. We can ride out our luck in a couple of matches, but not throughout a season.

What a lot of people don't seem to understand that in that particular game that was pretty much the entire plan - let them have the ball and hit them on the break. Our problem right now is that we're simply not performing well enough and can't score.

Poor as we are, I reckon Spurs away is the only game we have no chance of getting points in. We have a shocking record against them in the past 4 or 5 seasons. Man City on the other hand may find they have nothing to play for by then and give us enough opportunity to take it to them.

What a lot of people don't seem to understand that in that particular game that was pretty much the entire plan - let them have the ball and hit them on the break. Our problem right now is that we're simply not performing well enough and can't score.

Was it also the plan to let them have 21 shots, and 9 on target? well thats a fail project then

Edited by villalad21

Was it also the plan to let them have 21 shots, and 9 on target? well thats a fail project then

I think the plan was to win, which we did.

Yes, and it's great to win. But it seems to me that you aren't even the slight critical of the performance that day, which is my worry for certain fans.

The only statistic that matters is the scoreline at the end of the match, all the rest is incidental. 

And the scoreline wont be good regarding us most games if we keep playing one dimentional football.

Worked under MON. 

The only statistic that matters is the scoreline at the end of the match, all the rest is incidental.

For that individual match. But while you and others were dismissing concerns because of it some of us could see that results against city and Southampton, while excellent, came down to moments of individual brilliance rather than a good plan or tactics. And that there was no way we would consistently produce those moments of individual brilliance.

Yes, and it's great to win. But it seems to me that you aren't even the slight critical of the performance that day, which is my worry for certain fans.

Not really, becuase we had a plan to win which worked. It's in many of the other games this season where we've gone wrong, not games like City or Southampton.

SkyBet Relegation Odds

Cardiff 1/6, Norwich 1/3, Fulham 4/9, Sunderland 8/11, West Brom 15/2, Aston Villa 14/1

Which only shows how usurious SkyBet are.

If it were legal for me to be the bookmaker (damned US federal laws), I'd pretty gladly take action at 50/1 (max. win of 1 bitcoin).

Not really, becuase we had a plan to win which worked. It's in many of the other games this season where we've gone wrong, not games like City or Southampton.

Again I don't agree. As Poccetino rightfully said, if the game were played 10 times, they would win 9 out of 10. If we played the excact same game and played just as we did and lost 4-2 or something you would probably have said the gameplan were horrible.. the fact is everything that could go for our gain did on that certain game.

• Like 1

Again I don't agree. As Poccetino rightfully said, if the game were played 10 times, they would win 9 out of 10. If we played the excact same game and played just as we did and lost 4-2 or something you would probably have said the gameplan were horrible.. the fact is everything that could go for our gain did on that certain game.

Yeah well it's not played 10 times it's played once.

I'm not disputing that we need to learn to use the ball better (especially against weaker teams at home) but setting up to counter attack away from home against much better opposition is the right approach and is something many of the top teams do if they're playing even better teams away. As I said, our problems lie elsewhere this season.

Southampton didn't beat us yesterday either so is it 2 attempts out of 10 now?

I have no qualms with how we played at Southampton, they have a better team than us and it's not like many others have won down there this season so it was a very good victory and sometimes you have to scrap your way to wins especially away from home.

No my problem is the ridiculous ways we get dominated in home games, once again yesterday you have the away team with over 60% of the ball, these are hardly European giants we are playing. Swansea also had 70% of the ball when they came to VP and they've had a poor season.