What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

after watching rick stein in shanghai* i tried cooking chairman mao's favourite dish, red braised pork, basically tried to make it like chinese pulled pork rather than using pork belly, sugar, soy sauce, cinnamon, ginger, star anise... was good, not sure if id be better off going to wing yip and just getting a jar of char sui paste (great stuff btw) served it with some potato straws and spring onion

will try it again with a couple of tweaks, definitely a good meal in there somewhere

* i like rick steins BBC travel programmes, watched his india show this morning too, strange considering i think of him as a fish chef that i have little interest in his restaurant because im not a massive fish eater but he's going to interesting places and seems a sound enough bloke to make it a good watch

Can imagine any left over pork would be good wrapped in those Chinese pancakes or in a lettuce wrap.  Few deep fried crispy noodles/cucumber for texture, you can thank me later ;)

Gone off the American pulled pork, much prefer the English way.  Salt, Pepper, Cracking, apple sauce and/or mustard!

• Like 1

yeah that'd be a great way of doing it but you misjudged me with the "leftovers" ;)

american pulled pork is becoming the same as every other food in england, we discover it, like it, find the way of mass producing it as cheaply as possible in effect destroying it, i still dont mind ordering it but half the time it seems to be on the side of something else which will more than likely be half a spoonful of pointless rubbish on top of a burger

im working at warwick uni, they have an unbelievable shop on the campus, both in terms of it catering to lots of different nationalities and the price... they have a new york deli sandwich, pastrami, gherkin, mustard etc the usual...but its on pretzel bread...its stunning, ive never had the urge to make my own bread before but its an utter revelation 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yeah that'd be a great way of doing it but you misjudged me with the "leftovers" ;)

american pulled pork is becoming the same as every other food in england, we discover it, like it, find the way of mass producing it as cheaply as possible in effect destroying it, i still dont mind ordering it but half the time it seems to be on the side of something else which will more than likely be half a spoonful of pointless rubbish on top of a burger

haha don't get me started on burgers.  salt and pepper that's it.  No breadcrumbs, no egg, no onions.  Just meat.  Add the other things after!

• Like 1

i love burgers, love hand made burger company, i try and keep it simple, dont make my own, my latest thing is playing with different types of relish, simmer down some red onions and bang different herbs and spices in there, made a great tomato paste, chilli, brown sugar and some other shit i cant even remember in the week (garam masala sounds about right)

went to this awesome cafe in lovely rednal and they do cracking food. i had the super breakfest of 4 sausages,4 bacon,3 eggs,2 black pudding,2 hash browns,beans,mushrooms,2 fried bread and 5 rounds of toast. nailed all of it apart from 1 round of toast,and its fair to say i was stuffed. no dinner for me tonight.

On 13/02/2016 at 19:02, lloydxmas said:

haha don't get me started on burgers.  salt and pepper that's it.  No breadcrumbs, no egg, no onions.  Just meat.  Add the other things after!

100% this. 

In other news, these are like heroin.

border__72491_zoom.jpg

• Like 1

Went to Hestons at the Mandarian Oriental today as it was my mums birthday treat 

I'm usually a whack it in a sandwich man but the food today was top notch I even ate the Spinach that came with my Turbot it was that good ... My body has probably gone into shock though not having seen anything green before

The whole menu was excellent maybe it will encourage me to be a bit more adventurous with food for a while 

the cocktails were a bit meh , the peanut butter , rum , beer and condensed milk cocktail needs a bit of work  imo

• Like 1

Thought you were going somewhere else with that there.

I said that at work "I've knocked coke on the head for my resolution" was surprised with the reaction "well you did seem to be doing a lot of it..."! Don't touch the stuff, obviously need to reign my alcohol consumption in too

Â