2014 FIFA World Cup

BOF

I was one of the people who wanted it to go to Brazil because of their love of the game. But I have never known a sporting event, not just world cup with more hiccups, from strikes, to a record number of deaths, to protests, to 3 stadiums not being ready 1 month before it starts etc. It just goes on and on. lets hope the tournament is amazing to make up for it.

Athens Olympics, the commonwealth games in India a few years back, Sochi...

The press love it, the shock that things won't be ready, the reality is it's really common

As for the deaths, stadiums seem notorious for it, even wembley... The London Olympic stadium had a celebration and won awards because no one died building it...

I was one of the people who wanted it to go to Brazil because of their love of the game. But I have never known a sporting event, not just world cup with more hiccups, from strikes, to a record number of deaths, to protests, to 3 stadiums not being ready 1 month before it starts etc. It just goes on and on. lets hope the tournament is amazing to make up for it.

Athens Olympics, the commonwealth games in India a few years back, Sochi...

The press love it, the shock that things won't be ready, the reality is it's really common

As for the deaths, stadiums seem notorious for it, even wembley... The London Olympic stadium had a celebration and won awards because no one died building it...

This is worse then all of those examples IMO. I wasn't aware of the major disruptions prior to Socchi, but then I didn't follow the news for that. I remember the Athens swimming venue wasn't finished in 2004, but overall this is really bad.

How on earth is Shola Ameobi going to the World Cup? He's robbed a living as a footballer.

I have no knowledge of the Nigerian team, but I think he will be on the bench. The reason why I thought he was English was because he played 20 times for the England U21's. That's where the confusion comes from. When I saw he was in the Nigeria squad I was like WTF.

Bosnia have named their squad, and the coach has picked his nephew who is uncapped. Nepotism indeed.

Villaajax come back and give us the lowdown on the Dutch. Strengths, weaknesses expectations etc

I agree with VillaChris to a degree... yes, a lot of key players are now in their 30s and it is the last chance at the World Cup before they are past it for a few of them. I can see most playing on for Euro 2016 but maybe declining. Robben is fantastic but made of glass, he is absolutely the first name on the team sheet for me. Sneijder hasn't been as good as he was back in 2010, how he wasn't awarded World Player of the Year, I do not know. Van Persie is an odd one, he seems to bottle the big occasions internationally... or at least not play like we know he can. Van Der Vaart has been pretty much a squad player.

This team has a lot of youth coming in, I think I read that Van Gaal has handed caps to no less than 25 uncapped platers. Good players with lots of potential playing in the Eredivisie but do not have the vital international experience needed.

I'm getting excited about watching this team, though my expectations for Euro 2016 will be higher. That said, I'm not entirely sure of my expectations, I'd be very disappointed to go out in the group stages but wouldn't be shocked. Apparently the KNVB has set a target of the semi finals.

Strengths

Strengths are definitely attack, young creative players as well as some brilliant experienced players. On paper, Van Persie, Huntelaar, Sneijder, Robben, Lens sounds great for any team. Midfield is pretty solid I'd say, though losing Strootman is a big blow.

Another strength is Van Gaal. No player is bigger than the team and he is a tactical genius. Van Gaal will pick the players on merit, not on club or name and is highly respected not just by the team but every other team as well.

Weaknesses

At the back is a worry, it's weak. Vlaar, Heitinga and Van Der Wiel are the key defenders. Stekelenburg is not the goalkeeper he once was so I think Krul or Vorm may be starting in that position.

Experience. I think I've covered this. Plus, with all the new players in, the team perhaps isn't that 'clockwork orange' it once was as they haven't played together so many times.

My expectations... round 2 / quarter finals, I think we can get that far at least.

Beyond that, I hope the new players can pick up a lot of experience from this as Hiddink takes charge again after the World Cup. Hopefully mount a real challenge for Euro 2016, even if that is a little ambitious.

• Like 2

I think a 2nd round round exit to Brazil. It just seems unfair that they always get tough groups.

I know, what is it with the Group of Death? I don't think there is one stand out group of death this tournament, there are a few pretty tough ones, Holland's group included. Spain, Chile and Australia can spring a surprise when you don't want them to. We've had the group of death for as long as I can remember. In fact I've just had a look and I'd say the last time we had a... comfortable group was in 1998!

Will LVG play Blind at LB? or in midfield?

He plays him at LB.

I think my starting 11 would be something like

Krul

Van Der Wiel - Vlaar - Heitinga - Blind

Sneijder - Schaars - (Siem) De Jong

Robben - Van Persie - Lens

He's Nigerian.

Well he is both but I'd say he is English of Nigerian descent considering that he speaks in a Geordie accent.

He only plays for Nigeria because he isn't good enough for England - same as Victor Moses, Victor Anichebe, Sone Aluko etc.

Half the Jamaica squad is English as well.

I think a 2nd round round exit to Brazil. It just seems unfair that they always get tough groups.

I know, what is it with the Group of Death? I don't think there is one stand out group of death this tournament, there are a few pretty tough ones, Holland's group included. Spain, Chile and Australia can spring a surprise when you don't want them to. We've had the group of death for as long as I can remember. In fact I've just had a look and I'd say the last time we had a... comfortable group was in 1998!

Not this year. Our two most talented players are Cahill and Bresciano who are both 34.

Our best player is probably Robbie Kruse from Bayer Leverkusen but he did his knee in January and will miss the World Cup.

Our next best is Mile Jedinak from Crystal Palace, but unlike previous World Cups, the vast majority of our squad will play in minor European leagues, Asia, or worst of all the A League.

If anything, Australia being weak makes it even tougher on holland chile and Spain. I think they're all top 10 sides in the world, and if Australia loses all 3, chile Spain and holland only have 2 games to differentiate themselves.

How on earth is Shola Ameobi going to the World Cup? He's robbed a living as a footballer.

He's not unlike Gabby, produces precious little most of the time but will look like great player on rare occasions. Regularly scores goals in derby games to keep the fans on his side. 

Will LVG play Blind at LB? or in midfield?

He plays him at LB.

I think my starting 11 would be something like

Krul

Van Der Wiel - Vlaar - Heitinga - Blind

Sneijder - Schaars - (Siem) De Jong

Robben - Van Persie - Lens

didn't Martins Indi and Van Rhijn start more of the qualifiers, midfield needs Nigel De Jong in there

Australia will be this world cup's whipping boys. 0 points and a horrendous goal difference. 

did you say the same about New Zealand in 2010?

• Like 1

No I didn't. In 2010 I and many others predicted North Korea to be the whipping boys. 

This is the poorest squad they have sent to a world cup and they have to play Spain, Netherlands and Chile. I'm gonna say 0 points with a minus 5 goal difference.