Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Did anyone just catch SSN transfer centre bulletin. Think he said we were linked with a move for a Ukrainian who scored v England at wembley. Did i hear right?

AT LAST.

Being 1/4 Ukrainian has some form of relevance to my life! 

crazy-dance.gif

Keane did a job, Holt and Bertrand could do a job and Sylla was decent back end of last season. Whilst there's nothing there to inspire, that's probably because January is a crap month for transfers on the whole. See; Darren Bent.

Who single handedly kept us up, Ashley Young, John Carew ... all completely crap January acquisitions

Ashley Young and John Carew were basically the exception to the rule as Lerner only took over the club in September (I think?) 2006 meaning we didn't have a proper transfer window to splash that initial cash (Carew was a swap deal for Baros anyway, wasn't he?).

Darren Bent was instrumental in both keeping us up and dumping us in the financial pile of doo doo that have since transpired to be in. Are you honestly saying £18m and rising for Darren Bent is a good January acquisition and something to base future signings on?

We also signed Bent having spent no money the previous summer.

The serial moaners do seem to be those with the most warped expectations. January is famously difficult. Anyway, there's still a week to go. And Lambert, who is always coy about these things, has said he's still looking. Or is it the 30th already? In which case I should do my tax return :P

'Serial moaners' or just putting forward their opinion like you.
I'd go with serial moaners.

Fair enough putting forward an opinion, constantly reiterating it for no gain equals whingeing in my book

No different to the same people who criticise posters opinions over and over again or tell us to have faith in 'the plan'

Let's be honest both sides continue to repeat the same arguments and have done for years.

Did anyone just catch SSN transfer centre bulletin. Think he said we were linked with a move for a Ukrainian who scored v England at wembley. Did i hear right?

AT LAST.

Being 1/4 Ukrainian has some form of relevance to my life! 

crazy-dance.gif

Hate to burst your bubble but...

ErNrOEY.jpg

Edited by packoman

Samba Diakite may be available I think on a free (correct me if im wrong) due to QPR letting him go. Central defender would be a great addition.[/quote

Are you for real ? Done nothing at QPR apart from going home suffering with depression.....wait until he lines up with Baker one side of him and Luna on the other, he'll be depressed then.....are we just plucking names out of a hat now ?

• Like 2

Regardless of whether someone is happy with PL, RL, or anything else, I do find it odd how much in a flap people get about January Window buys or non-buys.

Surely every fan who knows anything at all about the game will see it is a near impossible time to do much, except in rare circumstances, which are usually either - finding a dissatisfied player, spending way over the odds for someone, getting a player on huge wages for a last hurrah, gambling on an exotic sounding foreign player,or getting somoen who can't get in their own side.

Then from that small pool the player has to be the type of character you need, the position, and want to come to your Club.

Even then, unless you are a top 4 or thereabouts side you will still struggle to attract. 

Add to that every Manager says the same thing.

Add to that the player that is available could be wanted by another 6-8 Clubs in a similar position.

Just seems really needless to get so upset by a lack of signings.

The serial moaners do seem to be those with the most warped expectations.

Wow. Some have lowered their expectations so much that to not be happy with fighting relegation for consecutive years and signing average players is now considered to be warped expectations.

Lerner must be pleased.

Big J what I dont understand is how come you haven't lowered your expectations ?

If I get you right your view is, at least partly, that the actions of the owner have led you to think he won't fund the type of buys you would like to see - the type of buys we would need to be a force/threat.

Well, I agree.  I may -  or may not - disagree over whether his actions are warranted or not, but definitely agree with your conclusion.

As such, I have lowered my expectations - which may not have been as high as yours anyway, I dont think we have been a real force since before the War, with a couple of seasins excepted - and because I have lowered my expectations I am easier to please than you - and by definition easier pleased than you.

Many fans, of many Clubs, have to accept where they are today while hoping (or actively working for) a better future.  By definition, if Walsall fans have expectations of Premier League players, they will be continually unhappy and frustrated. 

It is as if you see changing expectaions as a bad thing.   When Man City got rich owners their expectations went up - rightly. If (when) those owners leave, those fans will have to lower those expectaions.  It isn't something to feel bad about.

• Like 1

Managers say it's difficult in January but I can't think of many teams that have bought as piss poor as us in Jan, especially when you consider how desperate we've been for new players.

Well I think most Jan signing I have seen are not up to much, year after year.  And whilst I accept you may think we are desparate for people, we don't know the Manager thinks so do we ?  I hope he doesn't feel desparate, that would show something amiss with his summer as he had all pre-season to buy people.fair enough if he needed a bit more, but I wouldn't want to think he was desparate.

I don't know how you can lower your expectations that low by choice. I could tell myself all day that we're an average club and it still wouldn't make me pleased with signing grant holt.

I have to ask did you take the same approach under Doug and was therefore happy all the time with the business we did?

Managers say it's difficult in January but I can't think of many teams that have bought as piss poor as us in Jan, especially when you consider how desperate we've been for new players.

Well I think most Jan signing I have seen are not up to much, year after year. And whilst I accept you may think we are desparate for people, we don't know the Manager thinks so do we ? I hope he doesn't feel desparate, that would show something amiss with his summer as he had all pre-season to buy people.fair enough if he needed a bit more, but I wouldn't want to think he was desparate.

I don't think we're as desperate this year but we were last year and the season before and the owner provided piss poor backing.

I don't know how you can lower your expectations that low by choice. I could tell myself all day that we're an average club and it still wouldn't make me pleased with signing grant holt.

I have to ask did you take the same approach under Doug and was therefore happy all the time with the business we did?

Well I think most Jan signing I have seen are not up to much, year after year. And whilst I accept you may think we are desparate for people, we don't know the Manager thinks so do we ? I hope he doesn't feel desparate, that would show something amiss with his summer as he had all pre-season to buy people.fair enough if he needed a bit more, but I wouldn't want to think he was desparate.

I don't think we're as desperate this year but we were last year and the season before and the owner provided piss poor backing.

Yes I did pretty much take that approach with Doug.

As I said I have never considered us as 'big' as some.  Our success in the Seventies was entirely down to the Manager, like wise our little flurries under GT Mk1, Big Ron, Brian Little, Gregory, and MON - in each case good Managers getting the most out of the transfer market and/or man management skills lifted our Club towards the top, and to the very top once.  These though are less than a dozen seasons of acheivement, and onlty a couple of high acheivement.

Before that it was relegation to the third Division, and before that decades of mediocrity.

Now, I dont doubt that IF someone really tried for it, we are fantastically placed, in all respects, to become a more stable/regular top 6 side - but I let the evidence speak for itself which is we aren't.

I dont want to get into specifics like Holt, ok it's not for you - I think it is ok for a January striker cover signing, but each to their own.  But in general, yes, I have lowered my expectaions (from RL's early days when they WERE raised much higher).

• Like 2

Bent wasn't a good signing. For that price multiple quality players could've been brought in that would've both helped the club stay up and helped in the long term. He was a waste of money.

He wasn't a waste of money though because without him we likely would've lost far more with relegation.

• Like 1

Bent wasn't a good signing. For that price multiple quality players could've been brought in that would've both helped the club stay up and helped in the long term. He was a waste of money.

Yep, I agree. £24m for a player with no resale value is criminal for a club in our position. We could have bought 3 good young players who would still be with us today for that money, we probably would not have faced relegation the last couple of seasons as well.  

• Like 3

Â