Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

When players are signed in January it generally means that the club has failed to plan what they will need the season. Transfer budgets should be spent in the summer window.  Only very occasionally does it mean that a target of the club that they have had their eye on for sometime  has suddenly become available.

• Like 2

Going back to Zaha one second, it's come out Cardiff are paying United £1.5m to loan him until the summer. There's no way we're going to try anything like that.

Crazy, no wonder Lambert is falling off his chair at clubs look this for their players on loan

i guess it doesn't help when our own players such as Given and Bent are probably nowhere near having their wages covered by their loan clubs, Hutton is still at the club and we now have Zog, Kozak and Okore all being paid but injured - not saying it's their fault. We had Dunne last season with his phantom injury that i'm not convinced was as bad as it was made out. So we're still blasting wages up the wall.

When players are signed in January it generally means that the club has failed to plan what they will need the season. Transfer budgets should be spent in the summer window. Only very occasionally does it mean that a target of the club that they have had their eye on for sometime has suddenly become available.

Or maybe after a few months the loss of form of certain players or injuries to the squad have meant reinforcements are needed.

And Lambert was unable to bring in a 'number 10' in the summer so it seems we did fail in our plan during the summer and its why Lambert has now said he wants experience in the squad.

Well they're hardly going to loan him out for nothing are they ?

This is the real world. It's about time Aston Villa woke up and realised it.

1.5 million fee to get a player for 4 months, and one that has played barely any first team football this season. Forgive me for doubting that's how it should work...

• Like 1

Well they're hardly going to loan him out for nothing are they ?

This is the real world. It's about time Aston Villa woke up and realised it.

If "waking up" involves spending a ridiculous amount of money to loan in Zaha for a few months I'd rather we stayed asleep.

• Like 3

Man U have just spent 37m on a player.

While I do not expect us to spend on that level there have been one or two players available on loan which could have improved us further if the right level of finance had been made available.

Man Utd have panic bought a player that (whilst world class) isn't the solution to their problems.

Unless you're saying you want us to do just that?

Complete rubbish as usual.

Man U are rebuilding and consequently need players. Are you going to aim that accusation at every signing they make especially as you say, world class signings.

The answer to your second question was already stated in my post (which i've highlighted) but anything to have a dig eh.  :rolleyes:

Man U have just spent 37m on a player.

While I do not expect us to spend on that level there have been one or two players available on loan which could have improved us further if the right level of finance had been made available.

Man Utd have panic bought a player that (whilst world class) isn't the solution to their problems.

Unless you're saying you want us to do just that?

Complete rubbish as usual.

Man U are rebuilding and consequently need players. Are you going to aim that accusation at every signing they make especially as you say, world class signings.

The answer to your second question was already stated in my post (which i've highlighted) but anything to have a dig eh.  :rolleyes:

Man Utd need a central midfielder (maybe even 2) that are going to compete in the middle of the park so teams stop overrunning them - as well as probably another strong centre back to take the pressure off Ferdinand (lost it) and Vidic (losing it).  Tom Cleverley, Darren Fletcher (having had his medical concerns) and Phil Jones are not the answer to the midfield problem.  Juan Mata, on the other hand, is a fantastic player when he plays in that "number 10" position - just behind the striker.  A position that is currently occupied by Wayne Rooney with Shinji Kagawa as backup.  Now, either Rooney or Mata are going to be played out of position (once RvP is back) and, in my opinion, that simply isn't how you handle players that really are "that good".  Juan Mata is, thus, a world class signing but one that Man Utd do not need to resolve their issues.

It's much like us looking for yet another forward now instead of going for a creative midfielder.  But yes, "complete rubbish" of course :D

Who are these players that we should've brought in on loan by the way?  Do you have some sort of in depth knowledge of available players given "the right level of finance"?  Genuinely curious.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

It's so clever when people use the word panic about signing Juan Mata, then go on to say he is world-class. I agree about the latter, he is world-class and will create a lot of chances for the other players. It will let Januzaj roam more freely, and also put him on the bench when he needs a rest. More importantly, it will raise the obvious lack of spirit at Old Trafford. The same goes for us; we need a few new faces to raise spirits for the fans and the players. Do you not think Rooney and Van Persie like the fact that they will be supplied by Juan Mata and then score lots more goals and win more games? How does that not solve a problem? What about Benteke, he would love to get some supply from a new midfielder now that we have seen that Tonev et al struggle to even pass the ball to one of our players. It raises our spirits, as fans will always have high hopes for a new player, a bit like that feeling after Luna scored against Arsenal. We all thought we had a star signing on our hands, although it turned out he was lacking most basic ability to be a dependent defender.

I don't know if we will bring in Hoolahan or someone else who can string a few passes together, but it would be very nice to get that hope up.

• Like 2

Mata is a great player but can't see how he will fit in there. For that sort of money, they could have got someone like Vidal who would be exactly the kinda player they need.

On Zaha, £1.5m for 4/5 months for a talented yet inconsistent winger who has played about 4 games in the top flight isn't really good business IMO

Edited by Biskitt

Interesting to see that you've asked me 'do you have some sort of in depth knowledge of available players given the right level of finance' when you seemingly have the same type of knowledge to know exactly how Man U are going to play under Moyes.

Mata can play out wide by the way but hell lets just forget that. 

I'm not going to get bogged down in this as this is a Villa thread, but I have no idea why you think signing a world class attacking midfielder for a club record fee of £37.5m and then shoving him out wide is a good idea.  Barmy.

I'm not going to get bogged down in this as this is a Villa thread, but I have no idea why you think signing a world class attacking midfielder for a club record fee of £37.5m and then shoving him out wide is a good idea. Barmy.

What makes you think they'll "shove him out wide"?

I'm not going to get bogged down in this as this is a Villa thread, but I have no idea why you think signing a world class attacking midfielder for a club record fee of £37.5m and then shoving him out wide is a good idea. Barmy.

I don't.  Morpheus stated;

"you seemingly have the same type of knowledge to know exactly how Man U are going to play under Moyes.  Mata can play out wide by the way but hell lets just forget that."

We need to get off the Man Utd chat though :D

I'm not going to get bogged down in this as this is a Villa thread, but I have no idea why you think signing a world class attacking midfielder for a club record fee of £37.5m and then shoving him out wide is a good idea.  Barmy.

Maybe due to the fact that Mata has excelled playing in a wide position before?

Would you class Weimann or Gabby as wide players yet thats where they benefit our team the most at the moment.

I don't.  Morpheus stated;

"you seemingly have the same type of knowledge to know exactly how Man U are going to play under Moyes.  Mata can play out wide by the way but hell lets just forget that."

We need to get off the Man Utd chat though :D

I stated that in answering your previous question about Mata being a 'panic buy.' Mata can and has excelled playing out wide. He might be a Rooney replacement but rumours in the press are stating that Rooney may be signing a new deal. Either way Mata is an excellent signing and one that certainly isn't a panic buy which was your original point. 

I stated that in answering your previous question about Mata being a 'panic buy.' Mata can and has excelled playing out wide. He might be a Rooney replacement but rumours in the press are stating that Rooney may be signing a new deal. Either way Mata is an excellent signing and one that certainly isn't a panic buy which was your original point. 

He "can play" out wide, but that isn't where his strongest position is.  That's why it's more of a panic buy (unless they already know Rooney is leaving in the summer or something).  Maybe I'm not getting what I'm trying to say across clearly enough.  See these articles for what I mean;

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/29326/9126174/juan-mata-to-manchester-united-gary-neville-not-sure-he-fits-philosophy

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jan/21/juan-mata-manchester-united-chelsea

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/columnists/paul-merson/362253/Manchester-United-are-making-a-big-mistake-signing-Juan-Mata

And also where he generally scores from in this;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25871279

Anyway... enough Man Utd! :(

(Although we should definitely make a cheeky loan offer for Kagawa now - back on topic :D)

Â