Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

If he were to leave in January then no billy bob bullshit, we need cash, minimum 30+ and all off that reinvested in the squad. Maybe not in the same window but at least by the summer. I expect an AM, another midfielder and a striker in January. If that is not gonna happen, then I am starting to doubt this project as well. I jus`t dont see how they can expect Lambert to find gems on a yearly basis with such limited funds in this league. I always thought the wages and such was only to balance up the squad and get some of the high earners out. I would say Lambert has done a damn good job so far in that department, he deserves more.

Problem is on current form he's not worth anywhere near £30m. 

He's been found out big time IMO. Should have cashed in in the summer. If nothing else he should be pulling up trees for his WC place and even that doesn't seem to appear to motivate him. He will be Villa player this time next year. No doubts. 

That’s one way of looking at it.

Another is that WE have been found out. Every team we play now sets up to deal specifically with our counter attacking approach. They sit deeper and force our front three to play in front of their defences.

Their midfields are dropping back to deal with Gabby and Weimann. The long balls we were hitting on the break last year and now at best finding Bentekes head for a knock down to no one!, last year they were going in behind the oppositions back four with our front three competing for them.

Benteke is an outrageously talented footballer. He will score so long as we play to his strengths. He needs to be able to exploit his pace and power. We are not doing this at the moment.

• Like 2

So you're not happy with him being here and you mock others that feel the same.

Wow, some classic posts there.

Some of which you are responsible for.

Seriously, look back at the last couple of pages of bullshit that even I would struggle to come out with. Lets keep it on the Transfer Speculation so that people like me who don't want to have to read the witterings of someone bored at work rather than discussion on transfer speculation don't have to read it.

So you're not happy with him being here and you mock others that feel the same.

Wow, some classic posts there.

I never said I was unhappy either, and although I think a lot of the criticisms are valid I also think some people can go way over the top.

I could say the same thing to you about mocking people who aren't vehemently anti-Lerner.

Does anybody really believe we will get the creative/attacking midfielder we are lacking in January? I hate being negative but I feel it is going to be similar to the last winter window. I hope Jack Grealish and Samir Carruthers are both recalled in case we are unable to sign a creative/attacking player. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Why people are crying out for a creative midfielder is beyond me. It'll change absolutely nothing because the problem at villa is off the ball movement, not creativity. you can have zero creativity in your side but if your OTB movement is good you'll tear teams apart

• Like 2

Why people are crying out for a creative midfielder is beyond me. It'll change absolutely nothing because the problem at villa is off the ball movement, not creativity. you can have zero creativity in your side but if your OTB movement is good you'll tear teams apart

Think it isn't just somebody who is creative, but somebody who is attack-minded. Somebody who will take the ball from midfield to the final third as such.

• Like 1

Think it isn't just somebody who is creative, but somebody who is attack-minded. Somebody who will take the ball from midfield to the final third as such.

Unless they're going to do the whole thing themselves it won't make a difference though. They still need to pass the ball to someone occasionally, and our players tend to stand around rather than move

Having a creative force to run the midfield could help other players as well though.

It could, yes. But what'll actually happen? We'll get someone creative in, they'll become our only threat and get marked out of the game immediately. Back to square one and everyone complains that the great white hope we signed is shit, lambert is shit, randy is shit and we're the worst team ever built. as usual

Well I think it's two fold. We need players that can move better off the ball but I don't think that's just on the manager. Gabby has never been a player with good movement. People laud about Weimann's intelligent runs but I think he just runs a lot. It isn't the same as making good runs. We need attacking midfielders of both kinds though. Wide midfielders that can make diagonals across the back four and can pick up the ball and run with it and a central attacking one that can pick up the ball and dictate things in the final third

Well I think it's two fold. We need players that can move better off the ball but I don't think that's just on the manager. Gabby has never been a player with good movement. People laud about Weimann's intelligent runs but I think he just runs a lot. It isn't the same as making good runs. We need attacking midfielders of both kinds though. Wide midfielders that can make diagonals across the back four and can pick up the ball and run with it and a central attacking one that can pick up the ball and dictate things in the final third

It's been a problem long, long, long before Lambert took the job, so I'm definitely not blaming him for it. What needs to happen at Villa is the one thing that'll never be let happen by the fans - we need to completely reset everything from the kids up to play proper movement based football. it's a 5-10 year job though, so there's no chance there's anything close to the patience required for it to happen, because what you'll get in the early days is shit football, young players signed for small fees and... oh... wait

• Like 2

It's been a problem long, long, long before Lambert took the job, so I'm definitely not blaming him for it. What needs to happen at Villa is the one thing that'll never be let happen by the fans - we need to completely reset everything from the kids up to play proper movement based football. it's a 5-10 year job though, so there's no chance there's anything close to the patience required for it to happen, because what you'll get in the early days is shit football, young players signed for small fees and... oh... wait

I don't quite follow. If we signed some quality why would it take them 5-10 years to be any good?

Has it taken martinez that long to change the way everton play?

I agree. I know this sounds crazy but I actually think relegation would help the club in terms of creating a better style of football and a winning mentality.

I agree. I know this sounds crazy but I actually think relegation would help the club in terms of creating a better style of football and a winning mentality.

Surely its not rocket science playing better football. You have a manager who wants to play a certain way and he signs players to play that style and who are good enough to play that style.

I don't really see how relegation would solve anything.

Agree 100%

How on earth would it help?

I don't quite follow. If we signed some quality why would it take them 5-10 years to be any good?

Has it taken martinez that long to change the way everton play?

you make it sound as though martinez didnt take over what was an established club that had been consistently performing or something. a more accurate comparison would be swansea. started by martinez, continued by rodgers and now under laudrup

• Like 1

Â