Formation, System & Tactics

dakid007

Really surprised he hasn't brought out the Norwich 41212 yet. With how attacking villas fullbacks are and how poor the wide forwards have been, it would fit at villa possibly more than any other formation.

Who would play where?

I was on my phone when I said that earlier so it was hard to write out a team sheet. I was thinking something like

Guzan

Lowton     Vlaar         Clark     Luna

Sylla

Bacuna        Delph

Tonev/Gabby/Helenius

Helenis/Andi/Kozak     Benteke

The staple of Lamberts 41212 was players drifting wide, so even if there were no wingers, players would drift wide and crosses would come in. If Helenius was the strike partner with Benteke or even Andi they could do so. Tonev/Gabby or whoever played in the hole would also do so, and with Sylla hanging back to protect the defense, the fullbacks could play very attacking like both of them want to do anyway.

Just an idea, I'm sure you guys can poke holes (or chasms) and I actually want to hear them.

Edited by Rovers13

He played that formation last year and it was awful.

We had no width at all and the fullbacks were constantly exposed.

I remember him playing it away to Fulham last season and Fulham figured it out instantly and joe bennet was attacked 2 on 1 nearly everytime. For some reason lambert either didn't notice it or didn't think it was a problem.

If i were the manager i would go for the 4-2-3-1  formation. What do you lads think about this?

--------------Guzan-------------

Bacuna--Vlaar---Baker----Luna

------------Sylla----Delph---------

Weimann---Tonev-------Gabby

---------------The Beast------------

Thoughts?

Edited by villalad21

I wish we'd play a 4-2-3-1.

-----------------------------Guzan----------------------------------

Lowton-------Vlaar-----------------------Clark---------------Luna

---------------------Westwood-----Delph-------------------------

Agbonlahor-----------------Bacuna------------------------Grealish

-------------------------------Benteke------------------------------

At least we might be able to retain possession if we play our more technically gifted players.

At the moment we just rely on hopeless hoofs for either Benteke or Kozak to make something of. It's boring and ugly to watch. Hoof... Try and get a free kick or a flick on for Agbonlahor or Weimann to chase... Rinse and repeat. Our midfield's sole purpose seems to be to harry the opposition into a mistake? I may be over-exaggerating after the turgid Hull and West Ham games but I can't recall us having a meaningful spell of 10 minutes possession/pressure outside the oppositions box all season.

Ultimately we don't have the squad to challenge the top 8/9 teams in the division (consistently, anyway, there will always be freak results like City). That's quite depressing as our budget suggests that's unlikely to change for the considerable future.

I like Lambert but I've lost faith with the 'project'. I don't see how we can progress in this division with our plan. At the end of the season we are going to lose our best player and we aren't going to invest heavily in players to improve our shit squad. We aren't going to finish in the top 10 unless we improve beyond all recognition. All I really want to see is some decent, attacking football - and not just a quick counter-attack but some possession too, please. 

• Like 1

problem with any system or selection is that this squad of players just isnt very good at all. we have a great goalkeeper a good central midfielder and a great centre forward. the rest are very sub standard with the exception of gabby/wiemann/nzogbia who are very inconsistent 

• Like 2

Does anybody know what Tonev and for that matter Bacuna's favourite position is? Is Tonev a winger(as listed on Wikipedia) or  ACM?

Tonev is naturally a winger and Bacuna has generally been used as a RB/RM throughout his career but considers his best position to be CM.

I wish we'd play a 4-2-3-1.

-----------------------------Guzan----------------------------------

Lowton-------Vlaar-----------------------Clark---------------Luna

---------------------Westwood-----Delph-------------------------

Agbonlahor-----------------Bacuna------------------------Grealish

-------------------------------Benteke------------------------------

At least we might be able to retain possession if we play our more technically gifted players.

At the moment we just rely on hopeless hoofs for either Benteke or Kozak to make something of. It's boring and ugly to watch. Hoof... Try and get a free kick or a flick on for Agbonlahor or Weimann to chase... Rinse and repeat. Our midfield's sole purpose seems to be to harry the opposition into a mistake? I may be over-exaggerating after the turgid Hull and West Ham games but I can't recall us having a meaningful spell of 10 minutes possession/pressure outside the oppositions box all season.

Ultimately we don't have the squad to challenge the top 8/9 teams in the division (consistently, anyway, there will always be freak results like City). That's quite depressing as our budget suggests that's unlikely to change for the considerable future.

I like Lambert but I've lost faith with the 'project'. I don't see how we can progress in this division with our plan. At the end of the season we are going to lose our best player and we aren't going to invest heavily in players to improve our shit squad. We aren't going to finish in the top 10 unless we improve beyond all recognition. All I really want to see is some decent, attacking football - and not just a quick counter-attack but some possession too, please.

If i were the manager i would go for the 4-2-3-1  formation. What do you lads think about this?

Thoughts?

Swap Clark for baker & weiman & Tonev around I think that is our most balanced team

• Like 1

I don't get the Sylla love. I know villa don't have great options in midfield, but he's simply not a very good footballer. Especially for the premier league level. He helped some last year and was worth the money, but I can't see him playing a major role.

Thoughts?

Tonev? I had high hopes for Tonev but he looks like he's come from no-mark league like Polish league. Would probably carve it up in the A-League with the likes of Paul Ifill.

4-3-3 obviously away from home, but at home thinking either 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1. Currently 4-2-3-1 would be the best formation to play at home (Guzan, Bacuna, Vlaar, Baker, Luna, Westwood, Sylla, Bacuna, Delph, Gabby and Benteke) but if we were to bring in a number 10 e.g. Kiyotake or Ince, I would be tempted to play 4-3-1-2 (Guzan, Bacuna, Vlaar, Baker, Luna, Westwood, Sylla, Delph, ?, Gabby and Benteke).

Edited by Avflife

I don't get the Sylla love. I know villa don't have great options in midfield, but he's simply not a very good footballer. Especially for the premier league level. He helped some last year and was worth the money, but I can't see him playing a major role.

Thing is theres not much to pick between any of our CMs except Delph. However, Sylla is the only DM with any bite and a physical presence about him, he gets in the opponents faces. He was also in the team for our good run at the end of last season.

I'd play either a 4-3-3 or the narrow 41212, but with the same personnel.

Guzan

Lowton   Vlaar       Clark      Luna

Westwood

Bacuna    Delph

Tonev/Weimann/helenius     gabby

Benteke

Guzan

Lowton  Vlaar    Clark   Luna

Westwood

Bacuna    Delph

tonev/helenius/gabby

Benteke    Kozak/Weimann/gabby

Though in hindsight that 41212 might be a disaster.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it is difficult to stick with a fixed formation unless you have a formidable first team, that very few can near to...like Bayern.

you have to tweak to suit the opposition.

Its like writing one CV to all the job applications, instead of tailoring it to whom you are applying.

Â