World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

As someone who has lived in Qatar on and off for the best part of 30 years, some of the uninformed bollox I read from sites like the Daily Mail, which obviously filters through to the British Public, and VT is bloody hilarious.

A British woman confidently responded to my comment on a Daily Mail post the other day telling me that you'd be arrested as a female for showing a strand of hair 😂 ( I wonder if anyone has passed on the memo to the many Instagram Influencers by the pool or on the beach in thongs and bikinis here? )

Do you lot think Qatar is North Korea? LMAO

Anyway on another note. I'm renting out Accommodation and Transportation packages for anyone who is interested in coming over for the World Cup.

- Yes.. you can be gay, 99 percent of people don't care.

- Yes you can drink, there are hundreds of bars and nightclubs here.

The things you are most likely to get arrested for here, would be things you would likely get arrested for in other parts of the world.

I'm sure they will also be very loose and liberal during the World Cup as well, for obvious reasons.

If anyone has any questions feel free to send me a PM or tag me in the thread.

* NOTE: There is no task force running about the place hunting for people having unmarried sex or being gay or drunk ffs. They've got better things to do.

If half the things you read online were true, myself and the millions of other expats who have lived here would probably all be in jail ffs.

For the most part, it's common sense to culture rule, like you wouldn't do certain things, in certain places, or in front of local families etc for example, but alot of that should just be cultural common sense and respect.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

On 14/10/2022 at 13:53, The_Steve said:

It’s utterly irresponsible of Gary Linekar to say he personally knows two gay Premier League players and hopes they “come out” during the World Cup. Do you want them imprisoned you crisp-shilling pillock? 

Unless they will be announcing their " coming out " by stripping down to thongs in public, twerking and giving BJ's in the centre circle of the pitch, they won't ****  care.

" Ok you're gay, good for you, what do you now want us to do with this information? "

Especially not during the World Cup. There is no shoot on site policy 🤣

Mate there are loads of gay people in the country already ffs. It's not like people don't know, as long as you aren't going out of your way to be disrespectful it doesn't matter.

9 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Southgate running out of right backs for the World Cup!

Reece James out of the WC following a knee op and Kyle Walker a doubt.

TAA to do a Phil Neville vs Romania

He'll also do something daft like call up Joe Gomez

• Like 1

12 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Southgate running out of right backs for the World Cup!

Reece James out of the WC following a knee op and Kyle Walker a doubt.

Tomori would be my pick to replace Walker. How he keeps getting overlooked is mental

2 hours ago, sne said:

Nya bilder från luften visar containerliknande baracker tätt intill varandra i ”Fans Village”.

Looks sweet :D Who wouldn't want to stay in a container in the middle of the desert. Only £183 per night.

My first reaction to the picture was they look quite nice. But to be honest I thought they were chocolates/biscuits before I read what you wrote underneath. 

• Haha 1

👍

Another charming article. Great bunch of lads.

Qatar: Security Forces Arrest, Abuse LGBT People

Discrimination, Ill-Treatment in Detention, Privacy Violations, Conversion Practices

Qatar Preventive Security Department forces have arbitrarily arrested lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people and subjected them to ill-treatment in detention, Human Rights Watch said today. LGBT people interviewed said that their mistreatment took place as recently as September 2022, as Qatar prepared to host the 2022 FIFA Men’s World Cup in November and even as the government came under intense scrutiny for its treatment of LGBT people.

Human Rights Watch documented six cases of severe and repeated beatings and five cases of sexual harassment in police custody between 2019 and 2022. Security forces arrested people in public places based solely on their gender expression and unlawfully searched their phones. As a requirement for their release, security forces mandated that transgender women detainees attend conversion therapy sessions at a government-sponsored “behavioral healthcare” center.

“While Qatar prepares to host the World Cup, security forces are detaining and abusing LGBT people simply for who they are, apparently confident that the security force abuses will go unreported and unchecked,” said Rasha Younes, LGBT rights researcher at Human Rights Watch. “Qatari authorities need to end impunity for violence against LGBT people. The world is watching.”...

https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/10/24/qatar-security-forces-arrest-abuse-lgbt-people

Full article in link.

And more

The alarm: Qatar wants to silence World Cup journalists

The accreditation rules for the soccer World Cup in Qatar are deliberately tight-lipped to discourage journalists from reporting on, for example, the conditions of migrant workers in the country, Reporters Without Borders, RSF, claims.

"The authorities in Qatar are abusing the accreditation system for journalists by banning them from covering and writing about certain topics," says Secretary General Christophe Deloire.

According to RSF, the host country Qatar has slipped rules and conditions into the accreditation application to discourage the journalists from reporting on, for example, the working conditions of the migrant workers in the country.

"Journalists will not be allowed to film or photograph in "residential properties, private businesses and industrial zones". The latter clearly alludes to the areas where journalists have covered and reported on violations of migrant workers' rights," the organization writes.

"Not safe enough"

Whoever submits their application also undertakes to comply with certain conditions which, according to RSF, are formulated in an unclear manner to make journalists unsure of what actually applies and thus discourage them from reporting on various topics.

Filming a migrant worker in his home is an example of what RSF claims can be prohibited.

Permission to film on privately owned land or on, for example, construction sites is difficult to obtain, filming without permission is prohibited.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/a/xgg2xn/larmet-qatar-vill-tysta-vm-journalister

Full article in link, google translate ftw.

Bit of a longshot, but is anyone going to a World Cup match?

I'm transiting through Qatar on 18th Nov and would like to visit the city otherwise I'll be stuck in the airport for 20 hours, but normal entry is not allowed for the whole two months until the end of Dec unless you have a ticket or an invite off someone with one - namely a Hayya With Me voucher.

Please let me know if you have 2 spare invites (i.e. if not already inviting more than other person without a ticket). Thanks! 

11 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Bit of a longshot, but is anyone going to a World Cup match?

I'm transiting through Qatar on 18th Nov and would like to visit the city otherwise I'll be stuck in the airport for 20 hours, but normal entry is not allowed for the whole two months until the end of Dec unless you have a ticket or an invite off someone with one - namely a Hayya With Me voucher.

Please let me know if you have 2 spare invites (i.e. if not already inviting more than other person without a ticket). Thanks! 

Don't you know that's a thing?

No one could visit Paris or Berlin or Madrid when World Cups were played there unless they had a ticket. The cities were closed for 2 months. 

What a joke. 

Edited by Mic09
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Don't you know that's a thing?

No one could visit Paris or Berlin or Madrid when World Cups were played there unless they had a ticket. The cities were closed for 2 months. 

What a joke. 

Yeah it's absurd. Ridiculous place, but I'd still rather see some of it than the inside of an airport if possible!

• Like 1

germany have put together a 55 man shortlist for the WC and submitted it to FIFA

thats a new one

edit - england have done the same, its not published, the players and the clubs are not told, thats crazy, seeing as its for Qatar i will lazily assume its for background checks and approval but if thats the case id have thought the players should know

Edited by villa4europe

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

germany have put together a 55 man shortlist for the WC and submitted it to FIFA

thats a new one

edit - england have done the same, its not published, the players and the clubs are not told, thats crazy, seeing as its for Qatar i will lazily assume its for background checks and approval but if thats the case id have thought the players should know

Better than what Poland did - an official conference with all 55 names ready out and questions answered. I didn't even know Poland had 55 footballers and some rather exotic call ups. 

What's the point - the managers know their 25 people already, it's just a few 'maybes' at this point. 

Just now, Mic09 said:

Better than what Poland did - an official conference with all 55 names ready out and questions answered. I didn't even know Poland had 55 footballers and some rather exotic call ups. 

What's the point - the managers know their 25 people already, it's just a few 'maybes' at this point. 

like i said other than the qatari authorities doing background checks on them i dont know what its for, never seen it before, would expect say a 30 man training squad thats then trimmed but never a 55 man list

7 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Wait until the shock when Lewandowski gets cut as not good enough😛

Â