Those free internet university degree courses?

villaguy

I studied economics at university a few years ago without showing much commitment and never completed my degree. It's something which I regret deeply, and finding well paid work seems to be quite a big challenge. Anyway these online university courses were on the news sites yesterday morning, not many courses are available at the minute and it's being run as a trial to start with. The US did this starting last year and they are continuing with it. That's all I know about the courses at the moment, has anyone looked into these and have much detailed information? I'd like to get a degree but costs are a big issue for me personally

Look like short taster courses only at the minute, a good few of them look worth doing. Hopefully next year they'll have full blown degrees where you only have to pay for the qualification if/when the course is passed

Its a good idea. 

the idea of going to a university for 3-4 years for certain subjects is probably going to be out-dated. 

Only the practical courses are going to need facetime.

welcome to the future.

Employers are growing more and more dissatisfied with graduates from what you read on the news, it would be far more practical for the employer and employee to mix and match modules for the specific career path or interests you have/need. This looks like the future for higher level education.

Im doing a couple of courses on edx.org. They are provided by universities like MIT, Harvard,etc and seem to be really good. They're not full degree courses tho.

Yeah, it's really in the experimental stage. Eventually that's the plan though I believe, I read a year or so ago that the person who freshens the higher education sector up to suit the workplace better will become minted, think it was on the Forbes site. This looks like the first stages of that plan

They are gonna kill the value of a degree aren't they?

Well they aren't worth much these days anyway.

This is putting it mildly.

Candidate: "Hi I'd like to apply for the job you've got advertised.

Employer: "do you have a degree?"

Candidate: "No"

Employer: "Sorry, you can't apply"

Thats how it works at the place where I work, so from my experience they are worth having.

If the market becomes flooded with 'Mickey Mouse' degree's then I guess they will have to find another way of filtering the candidates at the application stage.

Thats how it works at the place where I work, so from my experience they are worth having.

If the market becomes flooded with 'Mickey Mouse' degree's then I guess they will have to find another way of filtering the candidates at the application stage.

They will eventually in the near future be built up to a degree, they will be more customisable as well as being more convenient to study. That's the whole idea of them. It's like a huge extension to the Open University with much more choice

govt dept.:  we want to put this piece of work out to consultancy tender

private practise: we'd like to bid for this

govt dept.: it's strictly lowest bid wins

praivate practise: we can still bid for this

govt dept.: oh, as well as being proven to be the lowest price (obviously by paying your staff the minimum) you also have to prove ALL the staff working on this project in ANY capacity have a RELEVANT DEGREE

the idea of going to a university for 3-4 years for certain subjects is probably going to be out-dated. 

Only the practical courses are going to need facetime.

If people see going to university (or higher education) simply as acquiring a degree (for the prime purpose of obtaining a job), sure.

Let's hope it is viewed as much more than that for a good while yet.

• Like 4

There have been online universities in the US for years, but most have the reputation for being little better than scam operations. If a agree from an established university with a good reputation can't land you a decent job, a degree from "University of Phoenix" definitely will not.

That said, there are some legitimate schools that offer online courses- Harvard Extension School, Penn, and I think one of the U of California schools.

Some background behind the idea here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-24152698

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23127327

There has been the online 'Open University' in the UK for years also but this MOOCS type course is a different type, with contributions and course material from the usual established universities

Edited by villaguy

govt dept.:  we want to put this piece of work out to consultancy tender

private practise: we'd like to bid for this

govt dept.: it's strictly lowest bid wins

praivate practise: we can still bid for this

govt dept.: oh, as well as being proven to be the lowest price (obviously by paying your staff the minimum) you also have to prove ALL the staff working on this project in ANY capacity have a RELEVANT DEGREE

What's wrong with that?

Government has specified that it wants the cheapest 'supplier' who have the credentials to do the job well to get the contract?

Â