Those free internet university degree courses?

villaguy

the idea of going to a university for 3-4 years for certain subjects is probably going to be out-dated. 

Only the practical courses are going to need facetime.

If people see going to university (or higher education) simply as acquiring a degree (for the prime purpose of obtaining a job), sure.

Let's hope it is viewed as much more than that for a good while yet.

Yes.  The purpose of education is not to produce fodder for firms, ready to do their bidding.  It's a little broader than that, thankfully.

the idea of going to a university for 3-4 years for certain subjects is probably going to be out-dated. 

If people see going to university (or higher education) simply as acquiring a degree (for the prime purpose of obtaining a job), sure.

Yes.  The purpose of education is not to produce fodder for firms, ready to do their bidding.  It's a little broader than that, thankfully.

But going to university isn't necessarily the only way to develop social skills and everything else that is essential and desirable to have for life. This idea to me is a good one, it won't be for everyone but it's a fresh twist on doing things

but some degrees lead down a specific career path, and don't really need facetime to study. 

things like Law or Accountancy could quite easily be done online.

6 week causes of war course.  So do I just sign up and they'll send me the stuff.  Obviously it's going to be something I'll use but would be fun to study if it's for free.  Is there a catch, as I'm at work and don't have time to properly research.

• 2 weeks later...
Â