Best formation to play at home

Avflife

After another defeat and poor performance at home today, what formation would you play at VP?? 4-3-3 is all well and good away from home when teams sit back and we do them on the counter, but at top it simply doesn't work; its now 5 wins in the last 21 games  :unsure:

Personally, I would play 4-3-3: Guzan, Lowton, Baker, Okore, Luna, Westwood, Delph, Sylla, Tonev, Benteke and Gabby against Man City in two weeks time.

its all about players..442 433 etc.. the boy luna did not show the player to go on the outside,,hence the second goal//no matter how you paint it the full backs were not at it today, 

the manager likes a high tempo team which is young..thats good but you need a bit of quality in the mix paul

the manager should have moved ANDY W in to midfield as we were getting over run..he didnt & thats that

the manager should have brought back barry (best player v chelsea v everton today) why of clucking why did PL not do it??? ffs!!!

We're too reliant on our fullbacks to provide width. It's no coincidence that when Luna and Lowton have poor games we struggle. It's also why we dont keep clean sheets as they're expected to bomb on, and cover which is why we get exposed,

I'd go 4-4-2 with Tonev and Gabby wide. I'd then have Benteke and Helenius/Kozak up top. Weimann needs to be taken out for me. He hasn't been "on it" for a while.

4-2-3-1. Last season when we played it, we looked a little unbalanced and exposed at the back but if we can have Sylla holding, then that will hopefully make it work. I'd go:

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Okore Luna

Sylla Delph

Tonev KEA Agbonlahor

Benteke

• Like 1

4-2-2-2

Guzan

Lowton  Vlaar  Okore  Luna

Delph     Westwood

Tonev                        Gabby

Benteke         Helenius / Kozak / Weimann

This would enable us to cover opposition wingers when they're attacking, and then have much more variety moving forwards.

The link between the midfield and forwards just isn't there.. And the forwards don't make many runs, which is an issue when the midfield is sitting fairly deep.

..........................Guzan.........................

Lowton......Okore.....Vlaar.....Luna

....................Westy....Sylla.................

......Bacuna........Delph.......Tonev......

........................Benteke.....................

It seems wrong to drop Weimann and Gabby, but at home their danger is being nullified. I'm not too sure about Tonev, quite liked the look of Bacuna, so far. Delph can move further forward.

Honestly at home. I'd play a variation of a 3-4-3. Give us more options in midfield and a lions share of possession.

Out of interest, what would the variation be?

3-4-3 seems a very straightforward, if potentially disastrous, formation. Not sure how a "variation" wouldn't just be a different formation?

4-1-3-2

Guzan

Lowton-Okore-Clark/Vlaar-Luna

Sylla

Tonev-Delph-Gabby

Kozak / Benteke

Would like to see how that would go at home, would certainly be interesting. If it would work is another question.

That midfield could do wonders or crash hard. 

I do think that Weimann should be dropped now, I feel he has underperformed all season and it`s appropriate that he gets some time on the bench so he can prove himself again. Gabby was weak last match but was excellent in the start. He can easily be a vital player if he gets enough space. Still not sure about Kozak up front with benteke as I really want to see more of helenius and how he will be used.

One thing for certain is that there are small things that makes a difference, and as someone pointed out in another thread is that often our downfall is that there is always players that are not performing and it costs us dearly every single time.

KEA was excellent at the beginning and then he has another shocking game in my opinion. Really weird and it makes predictions hard as he is still adapting. I hate it. It`s really hard to understand how that team was the same that faced Arsenal and Chelsea....

3 at the back? NO.

The opposition (generally) will want to sit and counter. Having only 3 cover that much ground is asking for a walloping.

4-2-3-1 with Syllla/KEA and Delph making the '2' and Tonev, Helenius and Agbonlahor making up the '3'

3 at the back? NO.

The opposition (generally) will want to sit and counter. Having only 3 cover that much ground is asking for a walloping.

4-2-3-1 with Syllla/KEA and Delph making the '2' and Tonev, Helenius and Agbonlahor making up the '3'

well, it wouldn't quite be 3 at the back. it'd have luna and lowton as slightly advanced defenders, with gabby and tonev slighly receded wingers, so there'd potentially be 6 midfielders when we have the ball, and 5 defenders when we dont

i dont think we'd go for it tbh, but i think itd have more a chance of working than the 3-5-2 from last year, that fell down because the midfield was simply waltzed through. but this kinda addresses that - on paper anyway

4-2-3-1. Last season when we played it, we looked a little unbalanced and exposed at the back but if we can have Sylla holding, then that will hopefully make it work. I'd go:

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Okore Luna

Sylla Delph

Tonev KEA Agbonlahor

Benteke

Personally out of all the suggested formations on the thread I like this one best. Like another post mentioned about if it was good enough for Dortmund, it was good enough for us, I would agree it would be ;) If we were to play 4-2-3-1 though would be Westwood in for KEA for me, Delph playing more advanced and Westy slotting back into the vacant CM position alongside Sylla.

4-1-3-2

Guzan

Lowton-Okore-Clark/Vlaar-Luna

Sylla

Tonev-Delph-Gabby

Kozak / Benteke

Would like to see how that would go at home, would certainly be interesting. If it would work is another question.

That midfield could do wonders or crash hard. 

I do think that Weimann should be dropped now, I feel he has underperformed all season and it`s appropriate that he gets some time on the bench so he can prove himself again. Gabby was weak last match but was excellent in the start. He can easily be a vital player if he gets enough space. Still not sure about Kozak up front with benteke as I really want to see more of helenius and how he will be used.

One thing for certain is that there are small things that makes a difference, and as someone pointed out in another thread is that often our downfall is that there is always players that are not performing and it costs us dearly every single time.

KEA was excellent at the beginning and then he has another shocking game in my opinion. Really weird and it makes predictions hard as he is still adapting. I hate it. It`s really hard to understand how that team was the same that faced Arsenal and Chelsea....

Think I'd go with 4-1-3-2 as well. Same personnel as you suggest, or possibly:

------Guzan------

Lowton Vlaar Okore Luna

-----Westwood-----

Gabby Sylla Delph

Benteke Kozak/Weimann

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Okore Luna

Sylla Delph

Tonev KEA Agbonlahor

Benteke

Personally out of all the suggested formations on the thread I like this one best. Like another post mentioned about if it was good enough for Dortmund, it was good enough for us, I would agree it would be ;) If we were to play 4-2-3-1 though would be Westwood in for KEA for me, Delph playing more advanced and Westy slotting back into the vacant CM position alongside Sylla.
I think Delph plays best as a box-to-box midfielder given the high energy, non-stop nature of his performances. Also, although he is playing well, he still isn't displaying enough quality in the final-third to make me think he could play the AM role. Edited by Isa

Â