Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

Had the England game on the tv whilst I had the Villa game on my laptop today. Thought England were poor today and really took the foot of the gas in the second half. The all blacks will hammer us next week if we play like that.

Maybe we can give them food poisoning again, worked last year

Agree. Think we're in line for a pasting sadly.

I know he scored a try (which he did his best to mess up) but Ashton was crap again. Who's love child is he?

Agree, Ashton seems to get in the side no matter what which is quite worrying.

New Zealend are beating the French at the moment aswell, have a feeling they are going to run riot against England next week.

Agree. Think we're in line for a pasting sadly.

I know he scored a try (which he did his best to mess up) but Ashton was crap again. Who's love child is he?

I guess he only played this week because Yarde and Wade were both unable to. Not sure why you think he had that bad a game (okay he failed to touch down when he stepped in but credit ought to go to their left winger).

Second half England weren't good but first half they were and Billy Trees was pretty decent.

My main problem with him is that he is lazy. I was at the Australia game and the amount of times he couldn't be bothered to chase things down was ridiculous. I also think he's a bit of a donkey. It seems like every game he does something to fluff a simple try-scoring opportunity, for himself or others. I also doubt his testicular fortitude. Doesn't seem to have much of a stomach for a fight.

I wouldn't be so hard on him if he seemed like a good lad but, for some of the reasons listed above, he comes across as a bit of word removed.

Edited by JB

My main problem with him is that he is lazy. I was at the Australia game and the amount of times he couldn't be bothered to chase things down was ridiculous. I also think he's a bit of a donkey. It seems like every game he does something to fluff a simple try-scoring opportunity, for himself or others. I also doubt his testicular fortitude. Doesn't seem to have much of a stomach for a fight.

I wouldn't be so hard on him if he seemed like a good lad but, for some of the reasons listed above, he comes across as a bit of word removed.

My problem with Ashton is that he doesn't seem to be running the lines that he did when he burst on to the scene (i.e. always on the shoulder of the ball carrier).

I can't believe that's just because he has decided not to so I'd suggest it's down to training. I think it means his effectiveness is severely limited and the likes of Yarde and Wade will carry much more threat but a further worry about them is that their effectiveness may be trained out of them like Ashton.

I like Lancaster and his team but the 'development' of Ashton is one area where I worry about them.

Doesn't seem to have much of a stomach for a fight.

I wonder why...

ManuTuilagi_2597003.jpg?20110515111302

:D

(I know that you didn't mean it like that, but I love that picture.)

I think England's main worry for NZ is that they will miss Baritt and Tuilagi.

I like Twelvetrees, I think he's a great player and it's a shame he had to leave Tigers for first team games, but he's a 10 playing 12, I don't think he will be able to intimidate their centres or carry like we did last year. He's brilliant if you want that second kicking option and try exploit weaknesses in the back three, or if you want a more passing game and get it wide quickly. He doesn't have quite the same presence as the other two. I'm probably talking out my arse here, I just prefer to see Twelvetrees at 10 especially ahead of Farrell (god I hate him). To be fair though, I wouldn't mind seeing a Twelvetrees/Tuilagi partnership.

As for Tomkins, whenever I've seen him for Saracens he's not really had much impact on games and seems to be a poor man's version of Tuilagi/Baritt. Having said that I didn't watch today's game and didn't notice him last week (good or bad?) so can't really say if he's been good recently.

Tuilagi was superb last year, as was Baritt, and really drove us forward. That centre partnership probably won us the game last year as they capitalised on the superb platform given to them by the pack and ran rings around NZ, I don't think Twelvetrees/Tomkins will do that.

It looks like the same team will line up aside from that though, with Lawes in for Parling too, so I wouldn't put us completely out of it. As long as our pack turn up, we'll have a chance.

NZ will be hurt after last season and will look to rectify it. We had the benefit of playing NZ when Carter had a bad game, which usually means NZ play badly, but that won't happen this year, a bad game for Carter is extremely rare and the chances of him going missing in the same game, in the same stadium, two years in a row must be close to 0.

It'll be close and it could go either way I reckon.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

Haha yeah I knew I loved Manu as soon as I saw that video! To be fair though, my hatred for Ashton hadn't really developed by that point and a I'm actually pretty impressed that he stayed on his feet!

Agree that we'll really miss Manu. I didn't notice Tomkins at all against Australia and didn't hear his name mentioned once by the commentators yesterday. Might not be completely his fault but I'm not sure I can recall two more anonymous performances. I certainly don't think we've got enough of an xfactor in attack to score more points than the kiwis.

I dont get the dislike for Farrell ^^^^^^, He is young and learning and seems to have ice cold veins and will be England no.10 for next 10 years or so.

Is it because his dad is on the panel?

Personally it's because I don't think he's a very good 10. Other than his kicking he doesn't seem to offer much that puts him ahead of the 10's England available. I rate players like Flood, Burns and even Twelvetrees ahead of him, plus Ford with his recent form, and just don't think he should start for England. He also seems to be a cocky arsehole who thinks he's better than everyone else (which to be fair is sometimes good in a 10), and when things don't go his way he acts like a petulant little baby.

His dad being a coach has nothing to do with it, it's just a convenient point to lash out at when he's playing poorly, or should I say kicking poorly.

He is very limited, but he could still do a job if England found the right balance in midfield (see South Africa: Steyn isn't a 'playmaker', but does the simple things very well and gets the ball quickly to De Villiers, Habana etc.)

Despite being a good team, I don't think England have found the right balance just yet. In my mind Twelvetrees/Manu seems a good balance, but Lancaster is a very conservative coach and he'll stick with big beefy chaps to bash the opposition into submission, and stick with Farrell at 10 to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

Well, Ireland did indeed receive a buggering. Too many injured players, and BOD is just being wheeled out for ticket sales to be honest. NZ could win by 70+ points easily next week.

If Engerland had a little more invention they could have taken the All Blacks, although you could argue such invention would come at the cost of their 'pummell 'em' approach that worked well enough yesterday. I did fear the worst for Engerland after the initial 20 minutes, but they did pull themselves together, unlike Ireland.

South Africa look v. impressive from what I've seen so far this year, I think they could be favourites for the WC, especially as the spine of the NZ team will be at the end of their careers.

Â