Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

33 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I know England went there and won a few months before the World Cup in 2003 but i can’t recall was it a one off test or a series. 

Yeah, that was a one off in prep for the WC, so wouldn't really count as a series. I looked it up, and the last team to do it was France in 1994 :o I was 6 months old...

Ireland and France are favourites for the WC for me, although SA will be strong too. Sadly for England I think the winner comes from that side of the draw.

Just now, Johnnyp said:

They did that year. England played them i think in june in a one off test and then the World Cup was in Australia in September. 

which is not a series 😉

The danger with winning this series is that the bear has well and truly been poked. The All Blacks are very likely to sack their coaching ticket now and get themselves back in order for the WC next year. Rassie Erasmus showed at the last World Cup that it's not about the 4 year cycle anymore.

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Yep we are shaping up nicely for our usual QF defeat to Argentina 😂

The way the fixtures are we are actually lined up to play either New Zealand or the host nation France in the QF. Yay! Depending of course on who finishes top or second in the respective groups.

Oh, and Scotland are also in our group.

1 minute ago, sparrow1988 said:

The danger with winning this series is that the bear has well and truly been poked. The All Blacks are very likely to sack their coaching ticket now and get themselves back in order for the WC next year. Rassie Erasmus showed at the last World Cup that it's not about the 4 year cycle anymore.

Think Foster’s time is up. Historically New Zealand don’t tend to change coaches much but this is a bad moment for them. Scott Robertson gets the gig and not before time. They could be a different beast under him. 

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Think Foster’s time is up. Historically New Zealand don’t tend to change coaches much but this is a bad moment for them. Scott Robertson gets the gig and not before time. They could be a different beast under him. 

If he lasts until Monday morning I will be very surprised.

I can’t remember the last time I was able to concentrate fully on an England rugby match. They’re just so, so boring to watch. Got some really decent individuals and fleeting moments of quality but it’s mostly just disjointed, clunky and dull. 

Pretty much rugby Bruce-ball.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

It seems so strange to have July has a winter month. 

Imagine what those in the Southern hemisphere think of having July as a summer month, but yeah you're right it's all a bit upside down.

Â