Rocket League

hogso

It seems giving the game away for free is probably the smartest thing Psyonix could have done, the game has made $50m so far

Rocket League is a bona fide hit for indie developer Psyonix, which has raked in nearly $50 million in revenue from the soc-car game, reports the Wall Street Journal.

Psyonix developed Rocket League over a two-year period for under $2 million, said Dave Hagewood, the studio's founder and CEO, in an interview with the Wall Street Journal. The company kept the lights on by doing contract work for games like Mass Effect 3.

Since the launch of Rocket League in July on PlayStation 4 — where it was available free for the month to PlayStation Plus subscribers — and Windows PC, Psyonix has counted more than 8 million registered players. The studio announced during The Game Awards 2015 that it is bringingRocket League to Xbox One in February; at the awards show, the game won trophies in the Best Independent Game and Best Sports/Racing Game categories.

I've not been following the game too closely, but will they figure out the cross platform stuff on Xbox One?   PS4 players can play against PC players and it seems the only reason that they couldn't all play against Xbox One players is because Microsoft don't want them too ("it's policy") but seriously, it would be great for everybody if we get cross platform play on a wide scale in this generation, right? 

• Like 1

Yeah it is a shame, it means the PC/PS4 leaderboards aren't the definitive global rankings anymore, which is my main gripe. They did some exclusive cars on XBONE, but I think it's more likely they come to PC/PS4 than cross play starting up.

I'm really pleased for Psyonix, they're a great little dev team, people on the old SARP boards got ARC Squadron (their starfox clone on mobile) and purchased in-game stuff to help try and keep them going. We were all desperate for SARP 2 for a long time, suggested a kickstarter but it was never really seriously considered. In hind sight it's clear they didn't think they needed that, the alpha of RL is almost exactly the same as the current game, and it surely impressed Sony. I guess they were involved in PS4 development of the new game from a very early stage too, as I can recall their name coming up when the PS4 was announced as one of the indie devs being supported. And they certainly were!

They have a free-to-play third person online PVP vampires (melee) v humans (guns) on the way, which oddly is kind of a sequel to Legacy of Kain, of all things. I know it was/is in open beta, and that feedback was pretty negative as it differs so much from a Legacy of Kain game. Doesn't hold any interest for me.

• Like 1

Took a break from RL due to shitty ISP and router, impossible to play with 500ms lagg spikes.
My internet seems to be running smoother now though, so I'll try to pick it up again.
Haven't played since we tried to get the VT league up and going though.

Just had one of my best games, we won 5-4, I scored all 5 goals, and made 3 saves, the rest of my team hardly touched the ball, I felt unstoppable. Lost the next game 6-0. :( This game sure knows how to humble me.

Â