Rocket League

hogso

10 hours ago, DK82 said:

I just purchased this. What should I do when I first boot it up? How often do you all play?

Do the tutorials, play some 'seasons' (offline games vs. AI), try all the match sizes - 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4. You may eventially find that your style of play will differ quite a lot depending on how many players there are, at least until you get the hang of simply hitting the ball. Leave the mutators alone, at least for the time being. If you feel like you're getting the hang of it, try some online play, that's where you'll learn more about how to play well.

Biggest tips I could offer are - speed, you'll need a lot of it. You can do a front flip to gain momentum, 3 of them make you 'supersonic' (which means you can blow up other cars on impact), but generally try and get boost canisters and use your boost whenever you are going for the ball. Try jumping and boosting to 'fly'. Try to judge where the ball is going to go, anticipation is sometimes more important than speed, ie. you may beat a fast opponent on the ground to the ball if you can anticipate where the ball is going to be in the air and jump for it instead.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hogso said:

Do the tutorials, play some 'seasons' (offline games vs. AI), try all the match sizes - 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4. You may eventially find that your style of play will differ quite a lot depending on how many players there are, at least until you get the hang of simply hitting the ball. Leave the mutators alone, at least for the time being. If you feel like you're getting the hang of it, try some online play, that's where you'll learn more about how to play well.

Biggest tips I could offer are - speed, you'll need a lot of it. You can do a front flip to gain momentum, 3 of them make you 'supersonic' (which means you can blow up other cars on impact), but generally try and get boost canisters and use your boost whenever you are going for the ball. Try jumping and boosting to 'fly'. Try to judge where the ball is going to go, anticipation is sometimes more important than speed, ie. you may beat a fast opponent on the ground to the ball if you can anticipate where the ball is going to be in the air and jump for it instead.

Great advice. Cheers mate. PS4 arrives today, so hoping I'll have time after work to set it up.

• Like 1

THERE'S A VAULT BOY ANTENNA TOPPER

Didn't see it in the updates

Plus 'Snow Day', the ice hockey game, is actually pretty good, more so than a lot of the other mutator match types. 

Edited by hogso

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That couldn't be further from the truth.

If that isn't the case, then once you've completed a jump once or twice, you should be able to do it over and over again, but from the videos posted, that couldn't be further from the truth.

Come on, 500 fails to do one jump? I can't get my head around it, and I play BF4 every **** night :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

If that isn't the case, then once you've completed a jump once or twice, you should be able to do it over and over again, but from the videos posted, that couldn't be further from the truth.

Well for most jumps, that's true. You can do it over and over again.

But for the really hard ones they do still take several attempts. But what kind of logic is that that you've used?

Do darts players hit T20 every time once they've done it once? Do golfers get hole in ones every time once they've done it once? Do Rocket leaguers score spectacular aerials every time once they've pulled it off once? Do Battlefield 4 players hit 360 headshots every time once they've pulled it off once? (is that a thing?)

I really don't think that logic holds up at all.

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Well for most jumps, that's true. You can do it over and over again.

But for the really hard ones they do still take several attempts. But what kind of logic is that that you've used?

Do darts players hit T20 every time once they've done it once? Do golfers get hole in ones every time once they've done it once? Do Rocket leaguers score spectacular aerials every time once they've pulled it off once? Do Battlefield 4 players hit 360 headshots every time once they've pulled it off once? (is that a thing?)

I really don't think that logic holds up at all.

The logic (I guess) is that 500 times to do anything, is more luck than judgement. 

For Rocket League, for me to hit an aerial would be luck/and educated guess, for Hogso, he'd hit an aerial 30%+ of the time, Golf's different because of the scale, darts players will hit T20 ~20%+ of the time.

So, I think for a success rate of 0.002% to do anything, is more luck than skill.

Obviously there is a more broad skill involved, you have to be able to time the jump, angle the bike, be going the correct speed etc, but for the hard tracks I've seen, even the best players take hundreds of attempts to do it.

I just think the end result of a gold trophy, for the time consumed isn't worth it, but that's my opinion, and doesn't mean anything.  If you enjoy it fair enough, but I don't think that negates my initial point.

• Like 1

It takes 500 times the first time you do it. It doesn't take 500 attempts every single time you do it. That would be crazy.

Pretty much every track we play on would be completed by a very good player with no faults.

• Like 1

Just now, lapal_fan said:

Well that's what I didn't expect.

From the videos posted, it just seems like people who are very familiar with the game are just failing 500 times.

Unless it is an insanely difficult track, or they're making it insanely difficult by using a joke bike, then no. The good players just smash everything.

• Like 2

There is a lot of skill involved on Trials, probably more so than any game I've played except maybe Counter Strike. 

I couldn't even do a hard track a few months ago but now I can no fault a lot of them and I've pretty much done every extreme track. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Ice Hockey mode is much more my style, not as much jumping, I occasionally hit the bloody thing.

It's good fun isn't it, as you say jumping and rolling in to the puck isn't very effective, you just have to drive in to it head-on as hard as possible. I had some really gg's on it yesterday, particular highlights were when the puck has been absolutely ragged and deflected in to an unsuspecting player, which results in the puck going straight in to the goal completely unintended. Unfortunately for me this happened and it went in to my own goal, but I also saw it happen a few times for my team. Wing play is a nightmare to defend though, cos the puck is so heavy, it's hard to get any distance on it when you make a, or try to, wall hit.

They should glaze over the wasteland pitch, re-skin it and call it glacier or something, you could probably ping the puck from your own half in to the corner and it'd come straight back :lol:

Edited by hogso

Â