Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that Keith Richards has one of his guitar roadies deliberately bash and scratch his all new guitars so that they look "weathered" before he uses them.

People who give you their mobile number but give it to you at such speed that you cannot write it down or remember it.

Arrogant pricks!

Are you one of those mouth-breathers who has to write each individual number down before you get the next one? :lol: On that note, people who can't remember a few numbers, seconds after being given them :P

Seven, yeah

Four, yeah

Three yeah

etc etc ...

People who give you their mobile number but give it to you at such speed that you cannot write it down or remember it.

Arrogant pricks!

Are you one of those mouth-breathers who has to write each individual number down before you get the next one? :lol: On that note, people who can't remember a few numbers, seconds after being given them :P

Seven, yeah

Four, yeah

Three yeah

etc etc ...

Not that bad. I can manage 4 at a time :winkold:

All I ask for is a second gap between the 5th and 6th digit in the way any normal person would say it!!

YEah the other annoying thing is, and this happened to me the other day when I was getting my new phone, when they read you your number back in a different way.

So I gave the bloke my number 07632-248-992 (that's not my number by the way ;) )

and he read it back something like 07-63-22-489-92

So when he asked me if it was correct I was just like

:|

I do it out of mischief with my credit card. Most people give it in blocks of 2 or 4 but mine has a 'treble zero' in it which really makes a balls of the other person's little system :D

YEah the other annoying thing is, and this happened to me the other day when I was getting my new phone, when they read you your number back in a different way.

So I gave the bloke my number 07632-248-992 (that's not my number by the way ;) )

We've been here before. The French (and I believe, Germans and several other countries) do phone numbers in pairs.

Me, I'm a 5-3-3 for mobiles, and 4-3-4 for land lines.

must remember to say that next time im asked for a number

"Yes of course you may have my card number;

it's four quadrillion four hundred and forty four trillion, five hundred and fifty five billion five hundred and sixty six million six hundred and sixty seven thousand sevend hundred and seventy seven."

*click*

We've been here before. The French (and I believe, Germans and several other countries) do phone numbers in pairs.

Me, I'm a 5-3-3 for mobiles, and 4-3-4 for land lines.

I'm the same, I'd say most people are.

I occassionally split the first 5 of a mobile into 2-3 if I sense that the person I'm talking to is a particular kind of idiot.

I do it out of mischief with my credit card. Most people give it in blocks of 2 or 4 but mine has a 'treble zero' in it which really makes a balls of the other person's little system :D

I am having trouble understanding what you mean BOF...you think you could explain it better while including your full credit card numbers...it would really help me out :)

The fact countries have differing amounts of numbers to each other means their systems will be different. Our mobile numbers have a 3-7 or a 3-3-4 format usually starting with 086 or 087 whereas you guys have an 0777 type prefix.

3-3-4 is the one true telephone numbering system.

(it is an annoyance of that damned foreign GSM standard that the first 3 always have to be dialed...)

It used to be so here, back in the days when numbers were shorter.

My parents' first phone was when we still had alphanumeric dials, and the number was MAY (for Maypole exchange) 3704. Then it went all-numeric, and became 474 3704. Birmingham area code at that time was 021, so the full number (when dialling in the UK, but from outside Brum) was 021 474 3704. So yes, 3-3-4.

Most area codes nowadays are 4 or 5 digits long.

(it is an annoyance of that damned foreign GSM standard that the first 3 always have to be dialed...)

My parents' first phone was when we still had alphanumeric dials, and the number was MAY (for Maypole exchange) 3704. Then it went all-numeric, and became 474 3704. Birmingham area code at that time was 021, so the full number (when dialling in the UK, but from outside Brum) was 021 474 3704. So yes, 3-3-4.

I can't help thinking of Grandpa Simpson

"Not many people know this, but I owned the first radio in Springfield. Not much on the air then, just Edison reciting the alphabet over and over. 'A' he'd say, then 'B. 'C' would usually follow..."

How the **** could the UK have exhausted their 10-digit phone number space when NANP (US and its territories, Canada, Bermuda, and most of the Caribbean) isn't likely to face expansion by 1 or 2 digits for another 30 years?

Or is the 0 in 021 just a trunk code, in which case the number is just 21 474 3704 (thus 2-3-4)?

Actually doing some further research, you lot decided to put mobiles in separate area codes; I'm not sure what that actually gains anybody (unless there hasn't been the trend of mobile-only-no-landline in the UK?), as it unnecessarily lengthens the numbers.

Western Mass (the 413) hasn't grown anywhere near enough since the 40s to require a split or overlay (only about half the possible exchanges are even allocated and most of the exchanges will never fill up). Further east, there's been a succession of splits and overlays:

1947-1988

400px-Massachusetts_Area_Code_Map_47-88.png

1988-1997

400px-Massachusetts_Area_Code_Map_88-97.png

1997-2001

400px-Massachusetts_Area_Code_Map_97-01.png

2001 onwards

400px-Massachusetts_Area_Code_Map.png

(774, 351, 339, and 857 are all mostly mobile-only, though there's nothing stopping someone from porting a number in those area codes to a landline (or porting a landline in, say, 508 to 774, to say nothing of the thousands of mobile numbers that already existed in 508, 978, 781, or 617... there's no reliable way to tell if a US number you're calling is a mobile or a landline).

People dont actually dial numbers these days though do they? Even on landlines its usually a case of selecting a contact from a list and pressing call.

Â