Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

the word "monetize". If I have to hear another talking head ponder the future of the internet and how facebook and google are going to "monetize" the eyeballs I might through things through the television.

Monetise ;)

I guess it depends whether you see it coming from the French or the Latin. ;-)

the word "monetize". If I have to hear another talking head ponder the future of the internet and how facebook and google are going to "monetize" the eyeballs I might through things through the television.

Monetise ;)

I guess it depends whether you see it coming from the French or the Latin. ;-)

:suspect: Confused, you mean the British and American spellings have different origins?

:suspect: Confused, you mean the British and American spellings have different origins?

'-ize' does not automatically mean the US spelling (though the US spelling, I suppose, would always be '-ize'). If you get what I mean.

This is some bod's attempt at an explanation.

Wow, didn't know that :shock:

Nevertheless, "-ise" is still acceptable and will continue to be the one I use regularly as I'm already used to it anyway. Also, regardless of which form came first, "-ise" seems to prevail in Britain these days while "-ize" is favoured among Americans, so I think calling one "British spelling" and another one American seems justified to me.

Edit: Apparently the French-derived suffix was more common before and during the 16th century, after which the Greek version took hold.

Thanks for the info anyhow, really enlightening.

'-ize' does not automatically mean the US spelling (though the US spelling, I suppose, would always be '-ize'). If you get what I mean.

It usually does, doesn't it? Regardless of etymological origins.

It usually does, doesn't it? Regardless of etymological origins.

Usually (in that the common use nowadays would be '-ize' in US and '-ise' in UK), yes, but as I said not necessarily.

Edit: Apparently the French-derived suffix was more common before and during the 16th century, after which the Greek version took hold.

Ah, interesting.

It does agree that the correct spelling is the Greek one, though.

Thanks for the info anyhow, really enlightening

Same to you with that above.

No it doesn't ;) language changes all the time. What's correct now will probably not be in 200 years' time. Similarly, what was correct 300 years ago has no bearing on what is correct now.

Both spellings are grammatically correct.

No it doesn't ;) language changes all the time. What's correct now will probably not be in 200 years' time. Similarly, what was correct 300 years ago has no bearing on what is correct now.

Well, I should have used was (i.e. when it partially reverted) rather than is. :)

As to the rest, whilst I agree that language does evolve over time, I think there is an argument to be had about whether common usage in language makes something correct (or rather makes the correct usage incorrect).

Thinking about it more, I don't accept either of the two highlighted statements even if they are specific to the ize/ise question though as they come after your point about language I infer that it's a more general comment (stand to be corrected here, though).

I don't necessarily agree that language changes all the time (which is sometimes used as an excuse for poor, or incorrect, usage), I would suggest that it evolves (unfortunately quite often through incorrect usage).

Same thing, and yes often due to incorrect usage.

But if communication isn't impeded, why bother? That's my take on language anyway.

I don't necessarily agree that language changes all the time (which is sometimes used as an excuse for poor, or incorrect, usage), I would suggest that it evolves (unfortunately quite often through incorrect usage).

Same thing, and yes often due to incorrect usage.

But if communication isn't impeded, why bother? That's my take on language anyway.

Ah, sorry. I edited my post as I thought it was rather clumsily worded.

I don't think they do suggest the same thing. The evolution of language suggests to me that it's a development of what went before whereas language changes all the time suggests a transformation from one thing in to another.

Whilst at a micro level the latter may happen to constituent parts, at a macro level the former must in order not to impede communication, surely?

The evolution of language suggests to me that it's a development of what went before whereas language changes all the time suggests a transformation from one thing in to another.

Again, don't see a difference between the two.

Whilst at a micro level the latter may happen to constituent parts, at a macro level the former must in order not to impede communication, surely?

Huh? Befuddled.

The evolution of language suggests to me that it's a development of what went before whereas language changes all the time suggests a transformation from one thing in to another.

Again, don't see a difference between the two.

Huh? Befuddled.

Me too.

People who take football far too seriously. Chill out people... its just a game you have no control over!

Movie previews in the cinema that say "THIS YEAR..."

This year what? You'll go and see this movie this year? Um, yeah, okay. Looks a bit shit so I might go home and download it actually...

Having a shirt and tie on while I have a sunburnt neck.

I decided to don just the shirt today. Rolled up the sleeves opened the top two buttons (I'm a maverick). Glorious sunshine this morning until I get to work and the heavens literally opened and tunder and loitning came.

Now i'll have to look like a prized nobber with my bag over my head.

Having a shirt and tie on while I have a sunburnt neck.

I decided to don just the shirt today. Rolled up the sleeves opened the top two buttons (I'm a maverick). Glorious sunshine this morning until I get to work and the heavens literally opened and tunder and loitning came.

Now i'll have to look like a prized nobber with my bag over my head.

haha wet shirt look? The ladies love it!

Â