Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I genuinely can't understand how you can think it's a good argument that "there's no sexism anymore. If you think there is give examples. Apart from social media which is obviously really bad and never going to change". 

I mean, the ad you're referencing, and the "back in the kitchen" message you are complaining about was explicitly on social media. "That thing you're complaining about doesn't happen anywhere, except for the place you showed it happening". that's what you sound like. It's ridiculous.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I genuinely can't understand how you can think it's a good argument that "there's no sexism anymore. If you think there is give examples. Apart from social media which is obviously really bad and never going to change". 

I mean, the ad you're referencing, and the "back in the kitchen" message you are complaining about was explicitly on social media. "That thing you're complaining about doesn't happen anywhere, except for the place you showed it happening". that's what you sound like. It's ridiculous.

Okay, so are we gonna campaign for every individual issue of hate on social media now, rather than actually campaign for the issue being social media.

13 hours ago, rjw63 said:

My stepson lives in Bilston.

He says it's worse than Chelmsley, and he was born in Chelmsley.

Won't leave Bilston though as his missus' family all live there, and he's also hugely pussywhipped.

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Plus Majors fish and chips is in Bilston. I’d move there just for that. 

The best thing about Bilston used to be The Olde White Rose pub.  I always used to meet my Wolves supporting mate in there before Wolves away when it was still possible to get away tickets. 

I think it changed hands and isn't as good now though, used to have a great range of real ales. Not been for years. 

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Okay, so are we gonna campaign for every individual issue of hate on social media now, rather than actually campaign for the issue being social media.

I mean, I'm not going to, no, but if people who are the targets of this stuff think it's a big enough problem to do so, that's their business.

I don't agree social media is the problem, people's attitudes are the problem, social media is just a "safe" outlet for these scumbags. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

Look at it like social media is a wall. Along comes someone and writes something on the wall. And then someone else and so on. Some of what the people write is nasty. We need to campaign against people being nasty, not campaign about walls.

It would be easier to knock down the wall, or at least paint it every time some writes hate on it. There's always gonna be hate.

The best campaign would be to change peoples mindset on social media of not taking the hate serious. Most of it's bots, ****s, kids, just people who have nothing better to do and people worry about this?

Great idea, lets start a campaign to eradicate sexism on social media, using a bunch of footballers. Not working, no one cares.

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It would be easier to knock down the wall, or at least paint it every time some writes hate on it. There's always gonna be hate.

Yet things are better than they were 20 years ago, and back then was much better than 20 years before that. Why is this the point that we should give up and stop progress? If everyone had your attitude we'd probably still have the black and white minstrel show broadcasting.

The best campaign would be to change peoples mindset on social media of not taking the hate serious. Most of it's bots, ****s, kids, just people who have nothing better to do and people worry about this?

Really easy to have this opinion when you're not regularly subject to targeted personal abuse and threats.

Not working, no one cares.

How do you know this?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

it’s funny because I think you *think* you are the one who leads a normal life while everyone else on here is glued to their computer screen all day. But some of the stuff you write shows such a complete lack of awareness of what’s actually happening in the “real world”. On what planet is sexism a social media phenomenon 

Possibly, I'm not on social though because maybe I'm sensible. Not showing random people where I have been on holiday or what I have had to eat, or who I am dating lately don't really make me feel I am missing out.

As I have said, a campaign to change peoples mindset of social media would save lives, not just the issue of being told to stay in the kitchen.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Yet things are better than they were 20 years ago, and back then was much better than 20 years before that. Why is this the point that we should give up and stop progress? If everyone had your attitude we'd probably still have the black and white minstrel show broadcasting.

Really easy to have this opinion when you're not regularly subject to targeted personal abuse and threats.

How do you know this?

You are bringing in the race issue, which always raises is ugly head on here, but unfortunately it was not the original question, so no I wouldn't still have the black and white minstrels broadcasting, just if you want that answered.

The question was sexism. Does it justify a campaign, an for what reason, give examples, cause people are spouting a lot random stuff but not really answering the op.

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

As I have said, a campaign to change peoples mindset of social media would save lives, not just the issue of being told to stay in the kitchen.

You're really hung up on this "stay in the kitchen" thing, which is quite likely far from the worst thing that any woman has had said to her online or in person, and was just something that they could use to illustrate the kind of messages, while being allowed to broadcast it.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

You are bringing in the race issue, which always raises is ugly head on here, but unfortunately it was not the original question, so no I wouldn't still have the black and white minstrels broadcasting, just if you want that answered.

The question was sexism. Does it justify a campaign, an for what reason, give examples, cause people are spouting a lot random stuff but not really answering the op.

Enemies of social progress don't tend to isolate themselves to one issue.

But you've used it nicely to dodge the question. There's less sexism now than there has been in the past. Who are you to decide "sexism levels are fine now, stop banging on about it". 

You might find it more valuable discussing it with some women than a bunch of blokes on a football forum.

Just now, Davkaus said:

You're really hung up on this "stay in the kitchen" thing, which is quite likely far from the worst thing that any woman has had said to her online or in person, and was just something that they could use to illustrate the kind of messages, while being allowed to broadcast it.

I'm not hung up on it at all, although it was a really poor example of sexism.

I asked one question and again it has not been answered.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Enemies of social progress don't tend to isolate themselves to one issue.

But you've used it nicely to dodge the question. There's less sexism now than there has been in the past. Who are you to decide "sexism levels are fine now, stop banging on about it". 

You might find it more valuable discussing it with some women than a bunch of blokes on a football forum.

What feminist women, just to make sure we get the right answers.

Edited by foreveryoung

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yes quite often we all know what you mean, you never actually say what we think you mean but we know

I'll spell it out for you then. Instagram, Facebook, Ticktok, Twitter.

Meta (Facebook), just to make sure you don't jump on me for that!

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

What feminist women, just to make sure we get the right answers.

Just, you know, any women.

It's a common trend on these kind of topics on VT. A certain set of straight, white blokes, talking about how discrimination isn't a problem.

My partner has a SM presence related to her profession. She makes posts purely on topic regarding her role of safeguarding in the NHS. I've not been keeping count, but she's easily in the double figures for rape threats via DM, she's not the anomaly.

EE probably didn't think that Ofcom would let them get away with showing "Shut your mouth or I'll **** rape and kill you, you *****"

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

Â