Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

:lol:

And "FILM?"

:suspect: Usually I know where these are going but ... nope, I'm fairly sure we (I) say film correctly. Ah hold on, I think I have it. There are certain Dublin accents that pronounce it 'fillim'.

:D

Its the "FILUM" one that gets me. :angry:

Mind you I'm not one to talk about accents, it took me 10 years to lose the Northamptonshire accent that had me marked as "posh" in Kent.

Posh? Really? Stupid chavy mockney wannabe's.

It's an English assumption that ALL Irish people (north and south) say "FILLUM" (two syllables).

I blame the yanks portraying us as leprechauns for years :) Begorrah.

Trying to get funding for a course I want to do, what a pain in the arse! Last September I was made redundant from an Admin role I done for 6 years, i'm qualified to buggary in administration but no fecker will take me on, i've had 2 interviews in what is coming up to 8 months.

I decided a couple of months ago I wanted to re train to become an nvq assessor, the course to do this is £400, i've asked the job centre 4 times, local grant related companies and a few national ones for help with funding, none of them will help me, so i'm having to save up £400 pissing dole money for it.

I'm not a lazy sod, I genuinely am crying out for work, I was on £16k in my last job, i'm now applying for minimum wage temporary jobs that I dont wanna even do!

And a lot of English don't say "three" they say "free" which is just as wrong as "tree" :) I say three :nod:

And a lot of English don't say "three" they say "free" which is just as wrong as "tree" :) I say three :nod:
That's true. Estuary speakers, mainly.

Me too. Chavs and Mockney wannabes.

:rant:

Trying to get funding for a course I want to do, what a pain in the arse! Last September I was made redundant from an Admin role I done for 6 years, i'm qualified to buggary in administration but no fecker will take me on, i've had 2 interviews in what is coming up to 8 months.

I decided a couple of months ago I wanted to re train to become an nvq assessor, the course to do this is £400, i've asked the job centre 4 times, local grant related companies and a few national ones for help with funding, none of them will help me, so i'm having to save up £400 pissing dole money for it.

I'm not a lazy sod, I genuinely am crying out for work, I was on £16k in my last job, i'm now applying for minimum wage temporary jobs that I dont wanna even do!

Problem is admin is the soft target that ever sod is cutting. I work for a LA and we've not cut "front line" staff, just the admin who allow the front line to do their jobs. :angry: So we've now got "front line" staff doing the admin. Yes their jobs have been protected, but we're now paying them to sit on their arses typing rather than doing the work they are supposed to.

Just plain management short sightedness.

my mom pronounces all "Th"s as "T" and vice versa (she's Irishm obviously)

When we were in the US, she couldn't understand why no-one understood her when she asked for "thrash" bags in Walmart.

I am guilty for often adopting a "stereotypical Irish accent". I can't help it, I love the Irish accent, its fantastic.

To be fair BOF, you could well not say 'fillum' but from my experience with Ireland (5 years at UCD and countless Holidays) and Irish People (any and all my relatives, all my college friends and family friends) i have noticed that most Irish people dont even know they say 'fillum' instead of film and often when you ask them to say that specific word on its own, they say film yet in a sentence, not thinking about it specifically, they will say 'fillum'

The best part about it is I have never met someone who says 'clingfillum' rather than clingfing.

So i guess this fairly annoys me as i just dont understand why both would be pronounced differently

To be fair BOF, you could well not say 'fillum' but from my experience with Ireland (5 years at UCD and countless Holidays) and Irish People (any and all my relatives, all my college friends and family friends) i have noticed that most Irish people dont even know they say 'fillum' instead of film and often when you ask them to say that specific word on its own, they say film yet in a sentence, not thinking about it specifically, they will say 'fillum'
Yeah I get that and I'm sure it applies to a lot of people. But if you've read enough of my posts on here you'll know I'm quite pedantic and make a point of spelling - and by extension pronouncing - things properly. Bit of a freak y'see :D

rather than clingfing

Where's that said then?

I would like to say my brain is frazzled from work today but truth is iv done absolutly nothing today so.........

Â