Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

I'd sign Viduka on a free as cover for Carew as well as Bent/Defoe if I could.

viduka on a free wouldn't be a bad shout.

I'm not sure we need a striker to come straight into the team at the moment as i believe gabby or luke could score the goals that bellamy or even defoe would upfront with carew.

We also have maloney and young as cover if we need them.

The one thing we don't have is someone to do what carew does if he is injured and i think MON will try to bring someone in who can do that role.

I think distin and viduka on free signings would be great additions.

4 strikers of carew/viduka/moore/gabby

4 defenders of mellberg/laursen/cahill/distin (i'm assuming ridge is off)

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trouble with viduka would be his wages they would be extortionate. I know we don't have the transfer fee but he's just so lazy at times, i personally wouldn't like to see viduka at the villa. Bent on the other hand is my personal no1 target for us, as is a new GK. A keeper that is confident in the air is a must.

Not good enough for Spuds, definitely not good enough for Villa!!

he is good enough for spurs, hence him being linked with Man United

but fortunatly for Spurs they happen to have two other top class strikers as well, so he can't always play

he's not my first choice for the summer as i think he's quite lazy and has games where he just doesn't get involved enough, saying that though i would still be delighted if we signed him

as hes the sort of player i can never see us signing under the old regime

i'd much prefer robbie keane but he's out of reach now, but defoe is a lot better than bellamy IMO

i don't know about bent, defoe's probably more clinical but the fact bent can play both forward roles attracts me more to him.

Trouble with viduka would be his wages they would be extortionate. I know we don't have the transfer fee but he's just so lazy at times, i personally wouldn't like to see viduka at the villa. Bent on the other hand is my personal no1 target for us, as is a new GK. A keeper that is confident in the air is a must.

if we could get bent then i'd be over the moon.

Viduka has scored 12 prem goals in 21 starts, lazy or not that is impressive and on a free would be a decent addition to our squad.

I would only want gabby or luke not to be regulars next season if we brought in real true quality. I rate defoe but id rather see gabby have a whole season upfront.

I could see both luke and gabby scoring goals for us next season. Gabby has 9 this season from playing most of it as a right winger.

I think he could get 15 next season as a striker next to carew and i think if luke played most of the season he could get around that number also.

We have gabby and luke who can alternate during the season so we need someone who can do the same with carew to keep a balanced partnership.

If we do sign a defender in the summer how about Ezeiquiel Garay? From Sky sports stat centre (plays for Santander) He looks quite good IMO. Has anyone seen much of him?

he's amazing on the last 2 FM's

so must be good eh?

Jermain Defoe is 24-25 years old:

02-03 West Ham 8 Goals, 38 Games

03-04 Tottenham 7 Goals, 15 Games

03-04(jan) West Ham 11 Goals, 19 Games

04-05 Tottenham 13 Goals, 35 Games

05-06 Tottenham 9 Goals, 36 Games

06-07 Tottenham 8 Goals, 31 Games

Darren Bent is 22-23 years old:

01-02 Ipswich Town 1 Goals, 5 Games 1 Games (UEFA Cup)

02-03 Ipswich Town 12 Goals, 35 Games

03-04 Ipswich Town 16 Goals, 37 Games

04-05 Ipswich Town 20 Goals, 47 Games

05-06 Charlton 18 Goals, 36 Games

06-07 Charlton 13 Goals, 31 Games

I know pretty well who I would want...

Jermain Defoe is 24-25 years old:

02-03 West Ham 8 Goals, 38 Games

03-04 Tottenham 7 Goals, 15 Games

03-04(jan) West Ham 11 Goals, 19 Games

04-05 Tottenham 13 Goals, 35 Games

05-06 Tottenham 9 Goals, 36 Games

06-07 Tottenham 8 Goals, 31 Games

Darren Bent is 22-23 years old:

01-02 Ipswich Town 1 Goals, 5 Games 1 Games (UEFA Cup)

02-03 Ipswich Town 12 Goals, 35 Games

03-04 Ipswich Town 16 Goals, 37 Games

04-05 Ipswich Town 20 Goals, 47 Games

05-06 Charlton 18 Goals, 36 Games

06-07 Charlton 13 Goals, 31 Games

I know pretty well who I would want...

Bent is 23, Defoe is 24. I'd say Bent is the better out and out goal scorer of the two, and as such, I think he'd make the biggest difference to our team. Defoe's a good player, but not sure he's much of an improvement on either Gaby or Young.

I will concede, Defoe scored a cracker tonight!!

The one that took a deflection and looped over the goalie :winkold:

Did it take a deflection?? Well then he his just lucky and retract my statement :wink:

.... Also, if Darren Bent went to Spurs, would he be THIRD choice?! Will he not be in the same position Defoe currently finds himself.

No, because he could effectively partner Keane or Berbatov, whereas Keane and Defoe are relatively ineffective together.

With Spurs in the UEFA Cup again next season, that may well mean another season of close to 60 games. Figure in injuries, the need to rest players, suspensions or just rotations due to loss of form, and Bent would get plenty of starts .. maybe even more than he gets in a normal Charlton season.

Bent is 23, Defoe is 24. I'd say Bent is the better out and out goal scorer of the two, and as such, I think he'd make the biggest difference to our team. Defoe's a good player, but not sure he's much of an improvement on either Gaby or Young.

They're both great players, both great goal scorers and either would be an improvement on what we already have - Gabby, Young and even Moore all have fabulous potential but Defoe and Bent have proved their ability over several seasons. They're the real deal.

Personally I'd prefer Defoe... :D

17 for the season....................

Cant see Defoe leaving Spurs tbh... seems fairly happy down there even though his being rotated and cant see him moving away from London IMO

I do like Defoe but Bent has a better record whilst playing for a poorer team.

I think villa should go for Bent and Luke Young in the summer.