Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

As far as Koumas goes imo he would be relatively cheap and was probably the best player in the championship last season.

However, I see him as the kind of signing to be made in the Ellis era, not the Lerner one. In this era we should not be going for players who could do a job for us, we should be looking at players who can push us onto the next level, which I for one do not think Koumas is.

And just because I am criticising the link to him it does not mean I wouldn't support him/trust MON's judgment should he sign.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we would have to be linked and try and get 10 players of that type, then 1 of them could come.

Why would we? That isn't how statistical odds work. Besides which, the 1 in 10 claim is tosh, every players situation is different. If we take Sneijder as an example, from what we can gather he wants out from Ajax and wants a fresh challenge in a top league. We're in a top league, have great facillities a decent manager and lots of hard cash. Plenty of potential and ambition to boot.

Now unfortunately none of us know him personaly, so who are we to say we aren't the type of club he's looking for? Maybe in Sneijders case the chances are 1 in 5 rather than 1 in 10? How have you come up with that random number?

Well as i'm sure you aware its more of a saying than a statistical analysis.

All the above it true, but if we sign a big name dream player who wants european football i will eat me own head!

We're just not in that position imo, unless they are not even playing for their clubs they're only going to move for something better or on par.

Once again this is not putting Villa down or being negative before someone decides to have a go for no reason!

Jez - It also depends on who you concider to be a 'dream player'. Players like Sneijder are worth discussing because they are within our reach, even if the are on the outskirts. What I'm trying to say is we don't need to be bought down to earth everytime players such as that are mentioned, most of us are already fairly realistic in our ambition.

306 - Koumas would be a solid signing under any regime IMO. There's absolutely no question he's premiership quality. If he went somewhere like Everton or Newcastle we'd all be wondering why we didn't take the risk, I guarantee it. Another Tim Cahill in the making.

Once again this is not putting Villa down or being negative before someone decides to have a go for no reason!

Why not just set that as your signature Jez? Save you saying it at the end of every post.

Why not just set that as your signature Jez? Save you saying it at the end of every post.

Yeah good idea, hopefully will stop people kicking off whenever i say i dont think we will sign so and so!

306 - Koumas would be a solid signing under any regime IMO. There's absolutely no question he's premiership quality. If he went somewhere like Everton or Newcastle we'd all be wondering why we didn't take the risk, I guarantee it. Another Tim Cahill in the making.

How old is he though? For some reason I hve the idea he is 30, in which case I stand by my diagnosis but if he is younger and has the potential to improve I think he could become Premiership quality.

Well the Sunday Express yesterday put Sneijder on Man U's list as a long term replacement for Scholes who could also play off the front man, plus they reckon Man U are also looking at that Alves fella from Heerenvem.

So if Fergie is looking at Sneijder, I'd say there is more chance of me popping my wet in Scarlett Johanssen than him signing for us.

Jez - It also depends on who you concider to be a 'dream player'. Players like Sneijder are worth discussing because they are within our reach, even if the are on the outskirts. What I'm trying to say is we don't need to be bought down to earth everytime players such as that are mentioned, most of us are already fairly realistic in our ambition.

Yeah, i agree with both of them actually :D

Prepare for a backlash about Koumas though, dunno what it is perhaps not trendy enough, but Koumas is a cracking player.

How old is he though? For some reason I hve the idea he is 30, in which case I stand by my diagnosis but if he is younger and has the potential to improve I think he could become Premiership quality.

He's 26.

Why buy potential when the quality is available? We're oozing potential IMO, we need ready made premiership footballers.

Yeah, i agree with both of them actually :D

Prepare for a backlash about Koumas though, dunno what it is perhaps not trendy enough, but Koumas is a cracking player.

And there it is again, the use of the word "trendy". It is you mentioning it every time, nobody else is. There is a reason he is linked with Reading and Wigan and not Spurs/United, because he is an unproven Championship player. He was up here in the Prem and he didn't make it, so didn't his team and they relegated. Sure he could cut it here, but I don't think he will at our level, at least the level we are trying to reach.

It is not only a trend thing.....we also need to sell tickets...and fact is...you can be top 4-6...time and time again...just like Bolton...but have your stadium half empty...i am tired of us being a boring club of no namers...sure we need potential..and shrewd..solid signings....which might not have exotic or popular names...but we also need the "Star" Players...which will sell tickets..and in turn attract even better players to join...!!!

He's 26.

Why buy potential when the quality is available? We're oozing potential IMO, we need ready made premiership footballers.

26 years old and the standout player in West Brom's promotion push. Probably worth a punt then imo.

[And there it is again, the use of the word "trendy". It is you mentioning it every time, nobody else is. There is a reason he is linked with Reading and Wigan and not Spurs/United, because he is an unproven Championship player. He was up here in the Prem and he didn't make it, so didn't his team and they relegated. Sure he could cut it here, but I don't think he will at our level, at least the level we are trying to reach.

Well he is linked with Everton and we are aiming where they are and Reading finished above us from what i can remember. People need to stop thinking above our station because we are not there yet and we need players to get us there, Koumas being a type of player to do that.

Sneijder is not being linked with Spurs/Chelsea/Liverplop does that mean he is not all that?

How about Van der Vaart, he has not been linked with Utd or whoever, should we not go for him? I wonder why them 2 players are allowed to be talked about but a less fashionable player is not?

I dont care if players are linked with Real Madrid or Scunthorpe i care about whether MON wants them.

There is a reason he is linked with Reading and Wigan and not Spurs/United, because he is an unproven Championship player. He was up here in the Prem and he didn't make it, so didn't his team and they relegated.

First part I agree with. He'd be a gamble. Thing is I keep being told we can't compete with the likes of Spurs, so any players they're linked with is surely out of our range? Can't have it both ways.

Second part I'm not so sure. He had a torrid time under Robson, he spent most of that season on the transfer list, he only took part in 10 games. So either Koumas isn't cut out for the premier league or Bryan Robson is a shite football manager. Or maybe a little bit of both.

He's won Championship player of the year twice by the way, there's no question in my mind he's earned a real chance at this level.

Sunday Express yesterday put Sneijder on Man U's list as a long term replacement for Scholes

Sunday Express are idiots. Anderson is the long-term replacent for Scholes, Nani is the long-term replacement for Giggs.

Exactly. United have spent, what, £51m in a few days on 3 midfielders. Doubt they'll spend about £10m on a fourth midfielder. Don't know if we're in for him but I highly doubt that United are.

If we wign Koumas I will cheer him and trust MON but I won't hold my breath. I'd like to see better signings. More proven signings.