Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[And there it is again, the use of the word "trendy". It is you mentioning it every time, nobody else is. There is a reason he is linked with Reading and Wigan and not Spurs/United, because he is an unproven Championship player. He was up here in the Prem and he didn't make it, so didn't his team and they relegated. Sure he could cut it here, but I don't think he will at our level, at least the level we are trying to reach.

Well he is linked with Everton and we are aiming where they are and Reading finished above us from what i can remember. People need to stop thinking above our station because we are not there yet and we need players to get us there, Koumas being a type of player to do that.

Sneijder is not being linked with Spurs/Chelsea/Liverplop does that mean he is not all that?

How about Van der Vaart, he has not been linked with Utd or whoever, should we not go for him? I wonder why them 2 players are allowed to be talked about but a less fashionable player is not?

I dont care if players are linked with Real Madrid or Scunthorpe i care about whether MON wants them.

Your arguments are worthless you know, you are making up facts to justify your owns claims and it's getting ridiculous. Sorry to say. I agree with you that we need players to push for where we want to be, we are not there yet. NOBODY is saying those players are van der Vaart or Sneijder, they have been suggested by a few but we all know there is a minimal chance of that happening. If it happens then cudos to MON, if not then I guess he has other targets. Does that automatically mean that he has to go for mediocre players in the Championship such as McShane, who isn't even sure if he's a RB or a CB? Jason Koumas is a decent enough player, I have seen him many times and he would probably end up as a squad player (tops) here at Villa. He is 26, it's not like he is 19 and has all the time in the world in front of him to develop. If he was THAT good as you claim he would have been snatched by a Premiership team a long time ago, that's how it works. We have those players already, we have McCann/Davis/Osbourne/Gardner/Berger. We need the extra bit of quality to challenge Spurs and those teams who finish above us. I don't have the answer but I hope MON does. You seem to be angry when someone talks about your suggestions and claim they aren't what we need. And when someone else suggests something it's become either a "trend-thing", "you play too much FM" or "this is rubbish", well, just because they aren't agreeing with you.

I am not writing off Jason Koumas, not at all, I am just saying he has been in the Prem without doing well, he has relegated and not managed to get back up even though the team is far better than anyone else down there and he has never shown anything at the top level. Sure he has some good internationals under his belt but that's not enough for me, I want proven quality on top of the fillers we already got and don't tell me it isn't going to happen, Koumas is not proven.We are the 4th most successful club in this country and we have money to challenge the big guns. If West Ham can get Tevez, if Boro can get Ravanelli and Juninho and Spurs can get all sorts of great players then why couldn't we?

And the price mentioned, it's 6M or something. For an unproven 26 year old, forget it!

I am not writing off Jason Koumas, not at all, I am just saying he has been in the Prem without doing well, he has relegated and not managed to get back up even though the team is far better than anyone else down there and he has never shown anything at the top level

But you're not willing to listen to any arguments that may shed some light on those 'facts'?

If he was THAT good as you claim he would have been snatched by a Premiership team a long time ago, that's how it works.

Like Tim Cahill, who was snatched up at the ripe old age of 24 after 7 years at Milwall.

If West Ham can get Tevez, if Boro can get Ravanelli and Juninho and Spurs can get all sorts of great players then why couldn't we?

If Koumas was our ONLY singing this summer then I'd agree. But that's not what is being suggested. He'd come here as a squad player fighting for a spot.

Competition for places. I know it's a novel idea at a club that in the past couldn't afford to take risks, but it's something we need if we're going to take the next step. He might turn out to be cack, but from watching him play I seriously doubt it.

I am not writing off Jason Koumas, not at all, I am just saying he has been in the Prem without doing well, he has relegated and not managed to get back up even though the team is far better than anyone else down there and he has never shown anything at the top level

But you're not willing to listen to any arguments that may shed some light on those 'facts'?

If he was THAT good as you claim he would have been snatched by a Premiership team a long time ago, that's how it works.

Like Tim Cahill, who was snatched up at the ripe old age of 24 after 7 years at Milwall.

So because Tim Cahill became a great player then Koumas is bound to be one too? Why?

24 is not 26 is it?

I am willing to listen to any argument, I am not against signing Koumas (well, maybe at that price of course which is ridiculous) I am just sick and tired of Jez' drive on here about people only wanting "trendy" players and signing people because they are good on FM. He doesn't know anything about other posters knowledge so he sticks to the abusive line to make his own points look better.

Good rant Rocafella, none of it true about me mind, too long to go through every point.

I never said we should go for mediocre players i was just saying that Koumas would be a good shout.

But for 6mill no chance the mighty Rocafella has spoken, you should really re-word some stuff as it just sounds like that is that you are the final say!

Its that easy to get the likes of Ravanelli and Juninho. Yes Boro beat of a host of top european clubs to sign them didn't they!

Oh and this bit made me laugh though ;)

I am not writing off Jason Koumas, not at all

he has been in the Prem without doing well, he has relegated and not managed to get back up

If Koumas was our ONLY singing this summer then I'd agree. But that's not what is being suggested. He'd come here as a squad player fighting for a spot.

Competition for places. I know it's a novel idea at a club that in the past couldn't afford to take risks, but it's something we need if we're going to take the next step. He might turn out to be cack, but from watching him play I seriously doubt it.

Fair enough - but do we need another benchwarmer when we already have Berger in that perfect role? We have Gardner as well, a player I rate in the EXACT same bracket as Jason Koumas. Then there's Davis who isn't sold yet. Osbourne is a central midfielder who played a bit this season, Sean Maloney can take the attacking midfielder role if he isn't played anywhere else. Point is; we have too much of the competitive players already, but none of them are really good enough for bringing us to the next level. I think bringing in Koumas would be a great chance, firstly because of the price mentioned, and secondly because I don't think he is better than Berger/Davis (on form) so they would just be pissed off with someone similar coming in.

people only wanting "trendy" players and signing people because they are good on FM. He doesn't know anything about other posters knowledge so he sticks to the abusive line to make his own points look better.

Why is it abusive? Its not abusive at all, all i hear about on here is 'fashionable' high profile signings (whatever word i am allowed to use) rarely a solid players discussed ironically the one's i think MON will most likely go after.

van der Vaart van der Vaart van der Vaart van der Vaart oh Matt Taylor, not as exciting, not as good, not as interested..

Oh and this bit made me laugh though Wink

Rocafella wrote:

Rocafella wrote:

he has been in the Prem without doing well, he has relegated and not managed to get back up

1. I am not writing him off because I don't know him 100% as well as I know Barry, Angel, Carew and Mellberg. He could be the next Gerrard, even though the odds are against him.

2. My point is that we can't afford to take such a chance. Why should we? There are better prospects out there and I guess you agree on that as well. If MON has other targets and he doesn't get them then fine, we have to sign him and take a chance on him. I wouldn't complaint at all, I would just realize we didn't have the power of signing players as I thought.

Well we can all relax. Bramble's signed for Wigan. It just gets worse for them. Oh dear!
Just ruined my week, my summer, my life. I was hoping he'd go to the sty. :cry:

If its any consolation old fart we should think he rejected the blowse for a bigger club :D

So because Tim Cahill became a great player then Koumas is bound to be one too? Why?

I never said that. They were both at the time the best midfielders at that level before they moved up (assuming Koumas does move up) and neither player could be classed as a 'youngster'.

You seem to have skipped over my point about Koumas's premiership experience under Robson. You seem to insinuate that he is medicocre, with little evidence to prove your point. That's why I say you don't seem open to discussion. I don't mean that in an offensive way, I just have this feeling you are against any signing that comes from a lower level.

FWIW, which is probably nothing, I can't see a great deal of difference between the quality of leagues like Holland and the Scandanavian leagues and that of the Championship. Yet you seem quite open to suggestions of players from those leagues.

Charlton are reportedly unhappy with Tottenham's £8m bid for Bent. An opportunity for us get back into the race ?

Were we ever even in the race? MON wants Defoe.

Oh and this bit made me laugh though ;)

That's not writing him off that's fact.