Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe people are saying that we don't need another striker. I think Gabby is going to have serious second-season burnout next season - particularly as he will be playing in the u21 championships in the summer as well - so we can't rely on him to the level we have this season. We absolutely need at least 1 more striker. And for me it needs to be a goalscorer. Bellamy isn't really that to the level of a Defoe or Bent.

I'm torn tbh on whether we need it or not.

We have 3 out and out strikers in Moore, Carew and Gabby. Hopefully Moore will see more game time this year but you can never rule out injuries.

Ideally you'd look for an additional striker to make it 4. However things get complicated as we have Maloney and Young who can also play as forwards. The issue of formation also starts to crop up. People talk of Bellamy, Bent and Defoe but dont we have those types of player already, is a back up to Carew that we actually need?

Then throw in the issue of Gabby and Moore needing as many games as possible to prove whether we do need that proven goalscorer or if they are already in the squad. And also how many other positions also need new players and how much we''ll have to spend.

I dont think it's a straightforward issue at all.

we definatly need a 4th striker IMO, maloney and young aren't strikers and i think we would jeopardise our chances of winning games by playing them upfront

a 4th striker should and will be a priority by the sounds of it, if only to keep the strikers on their toes

we could do with an experienced striker to partner carew and i agree with the people who say we should bring in bent, as he can play both striker roles

but i'd be happy with any of keane, defoe, bellamy etc

its not just about scoring goals its about overall play as well, and i think bringing in someone like bellamy will improve our overall play because hes a much smarter striker than the youngsters

I can't believe people are saying that we don't need another striker. I think Gabby is going to have serious second-season burnout next season - particularly as he will be playing in the u21 championships in the summer as well - so we can't rely on him to the level we have this season. We absolutely need at least 1 more striker. And for me it needs to be a goalscorer. Bellamy isn't really that to the level of a Defoe or Bent.

I'm torn tbh on whether we need it or not.

We have 3 out and out strikers in Moore, Carew and Gabby. Hopefully Moore will see more game time this year but you can never rule out injuries.

Ideally you'd look for an additional striker to make it 4. However things get complicated as we have Maloney and Young who can also play as forwards. The issue of formation also starts to crop up. People talk of Bellamy, Bent and Defoe but dont we have those types of player already, is a back up to Carew that we actually need?

Then throw in the issue of Gabby and Moore needing as many games as possible to prove whether we do need that proven goalscorer or if they are already in the squad. And also how many other positions also need new players and how much we''ll have to spend.

I dont think it's a straightforward issue at all.

It is a straightforward issue, what happens if Moore or Carew get a bad injury like this season, it is very likely to happen over a long season. Young should be just on the wing.

I think Bastian Schweinsteiger will stay at FC Bayern his entire career, much like Scholes at United and Del Piero at Juventus.

Miroslav Klose is worth a shot again, he hasn't set the world on fire this season and rumors have faded a bit. I know Bayern are

supposed to be interested, and he would go there, but if not then toss a bit of money on the table and we're alright.

Robbie Keane has showed that he is a good player this season, but him together with Carew is a little dangerous as both are players

known for not scoring enough goals. I don't want Craig Bellamy. Every player is a 50/50, either they work out or they don't. With

him there is an equal percentage of falling out with someone inside the club. That is a risk I don't want to take. The first priority should

be Darren Bent no doubt about it. He is a great player and he can easily score 15-20 goals every season. And, he is English. Competition

will be fierce if Charlton relegate, but if he is not a priority then I really want some answers.

It is a straightforward issue, what happens if Moore or Carew get a bad injury like this season, it is very likely to happen over a long season. Young should be just on the wing.

And if we predominantly play 4-3-3 next season?

Would we be better of with another out and out striker or a player like Pedersen?

Or if Carew was heading that 3, do we need cover for him meaning all the talk of Bellamy, Defoe and Bent is rubbish?

both are players known for not scoring enough goals

true but maybe he's now reaching his peak?

21 goals this season, in a team where he has only in recent months started getting regular football

on top of that he brings a hell of a lot more than just goals, great little player IMO, much much better than defoe

geremi is the answer to all our problems, is awesome at right back and in the middle..

Geremi, Boruc, Bellamy and a midfielder and maybe Distin and we will be going places...

Geremi is a quality player but not as a right back. Distin makes more mistakes than Ridgewell. Boruc and Bellamy - yes but would love to see Barton sign up for us

I think Bastian Schweinsteiger will stay at FC Bayern his entire career, much like Scholes at United and Del Piero at Juventus.

Miroslav Klose is worth a shot again, he hasn't set the world on fire this season and rumors have faded a bit. I know Bayern are

supposed to be interested, and he would go there, but if not then toss a bit of money on the table and we're alright.

Robbie Keane has showed that he is a good player this season, but him together with Carew is a little dangerous as both are players

known for not scoring enough goals. I don't want Craig Bellamy. Every player is a 50/50, either they work out or they don't. With

him there is an equal percentage of falling out with someone inside the club. That is a risk I don't want to take. The first priority should

be Darren Bent no doubt about it. He is a great player and he can easily score 15-20 goals every season. And, he is English. Competition

will be fierce if Charlton relegate, but if he is not a priority then I really want some answers.

I read somewhere that Klose has had talks with Bayern but i've also heard they've already signed Luca Toni so they might not sign him. 99% certain he wouldn't join but it's worth a try.....with a huge money carrot dangled infront of his nose.

Bayern had also "signed" John Carew in January too hadn't they? Turns out they were counting the chickens a little early in the end.

If we can land a few big fishies early in the transfer period who knows, maybe some even bigger fishies will start sniffing around...

Anelka anyone?!

Big Sam gone now, looks like a few of his stars might leave.

he is a quality player, who'd offer something different from what we've got but they'd be looking to recoup their money and his attitude is not exactly great, so i'd rather not.

i'm pretty certain ashton will stay at west ham. he owes them now after being out for a season. plus, i wouldn't want to risk spending loads on him until he's shown he has recovered.

someone mentioned viduka and i'd be happy to see him in on a free. one of the best finishers in the business, when on form. he'd be a excellent player to have in the squad.

others i'd like to moot:

manuel fernandes - and not just because he scored a stunner yesterday. he's on loan at everton and they probably have first option to buy, but we could try and hi-jack that. i think he'd be great alongside petrov. intelligent central midfielder who can pass, tackle and shoot. what's not to like?

lucas neill - if west ham go down, he'd be great option as first choice rb. he's been class for them in recent games. he can also play cb, hence if we kept delaney and brought in neill plus a left back, we'd have a very strong defence with enough cover:

neill-mellberg-laursen-bouma

delaney-cahill-ridge-lb

jussi jaaskaleinen - as mentioned for anelka, with big sam gone he may be available. best keeper outside the top 4, in my opinion.