Christian Benteke

Kwan

you were lucky I didn't get out the Bannan gif.

Liverpool fans still hurting after Benteke's performance last year. can he do something similar this weekend? will Agbonlahor (who didn't play that game) help?

76xfyCw.gif

Ahh, right ok, it just didn't really click when you put it as you only put the gif :)

Hopefully he can do the same, but we don't tend to do too well at Anfield :(

From another angle. What a ball from Lowton.

Benteke1b.gif

The only thing that slightly made me uneasy after this goal was that (now i may be wrong here) but i think only Vlaar and Bacuna congratulated him on scoring the goal. I know yes it was 1-2 and we probably wanted to restart quickly but you'd have thought more people would have congratulated him. Secondly you can see as he scores the goal in the gif none of the players throw their hands in the air to celebrate the goal like they were doing last season.

I may be reading way to much into this but it almost feels as if the team are emotionally distanced from Benteke, giving us a further clue he'll be off in the summer. 

Yes

Yes you are. It's nonsense (no offence)

I honestly thought more players would have congratulated Benteke after scoring as its been quite a while since he scored. But as i said, it was 1-2 and they may have just been wanting to restart the game quickly. 

I honestly thought more players would have congratulated Benteke after scoring as its been quite a while since he scored. But as i said, it was 1-2 and they may have just been wanting to restart the game quickly.

That's the conclusion I swiftly arrived at while others scratched around for some sort of conspiracy or sub-plot.

I know one thing Mr Parton, if Ray Graydon was crossing the ball Benteke would have an absolute goal feast & both he & Ray would be performing cartwheels celebrating in front of a joyous Holte End.

I still say Graydon was our best crosser of a ball even to this day. He was one of the main reasons why Andy Gray scored 29 goals in 1977 & why Brian Little & John Deehan regularly found the net too.

ps - Both you & I would be doing cartwheels in the Holte End too, even in an all seater stadium :)

• Like 1

I know one thing Mr Parton, if Ray Graydon was crossing the ball Benteke would have an absolute goal feast & both he & Ray would be performing cartwheels celebrating in front of a joyous Holte End.

I still say Graydon was our best crosser of a ball even to this day. He was one of the main reasons why Andy Gray scored 29 goals in 1977 & why Brian Little & John Deehan regularly found the net too.

ps - Both you & I would be doing cartwheels in the Holte End too, even in an all seater stadium :)

I love hearing Uncle Ray's stories, his league cup penalty story still remains his best.

Benteke would be beasting on the crosses though, but that Matty Lowton cross was a good'un, always wanted to try Lowton as a winger just whipping balls in for big Ben. 

Edited by KjParton

I love hearing Uncle Ray's stories, his league cup penalty story still remains his best.

Benteke would be beasting on the crosses though, but that Matty Lowton cross was a good'un, always wanted to try Lowton as a winger just whipping balls in for big Ben. 

That was a great save from Kevin Keelan, pushing Ray's Penalty onto the post & I was celebrating like mad as the sole Villa fan amongst all the Norwich fans at the other end of Wembley stadium, as Ray smashed in the rebound.

Ray's crossing was superb but his penalty taking was on a par with the beast's last one against Everton. ;)  :P 

Jean-Pierre Benteke has always exerted the biggest influence on his celebrated son. From confiscating his boots when Christian was nine years old, cutting them up with a knife and saying to him that he could not play football again until he passed all his exams to delivering regular appraisals post-game in which the message can be as brutally succinct as this: "Today, son, you were rubbish."

So when the 23-year-old Villa striker returned recently to his hometown of Liege in provincial, eastern Belgium the words of strict ex-military man Jean-Pierre, who pulled his family out of Africa under President Mobutu's hardline Zairese regime, provided reassuring resonance.

"He told me not to worry," Benteke recalled on the eve of revisiting Anfield where last season he despatched two stunning strikes past Pepe Reina and set up a third for Andi Weimann with an exquisite back-heeled pass in a 3-1 win over Liverpool. "My dad supports me always, not only my dad but my family also. They help me a lot, especially at this moment, and my Dad reminded me that this time last season I was at five or six goals and it was the second half of the season that I scored a lot of goals. So I don't have to worry about anything, he told me. Last season was the same, it was a bit hard between November and December and January and after that I started to score."

His prolific return over the latter half of the 2012-13 season in which he scored 15 goals elevated him to the highest echelons of Europe's deadliest finishers, behind only Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. His recent run without scoring spanned the most prolonged barren period of Benteke's career, which is why his goal against Arsenal on Monday night may represent something of a watershed. For the big centre forward with the heavyweight boxer's frame believes he has only grown stronger and developed greater focus and resolve to contribute for his team.

"It was nice to score again, of course. It is not easy to play and to not score," Benteke reflected. "Your confidence is affected, so it was important to me to score for my confidence. I can bring my confidence now for the team again. I was disappointed overall because we didn't take the three points against Arsenal but we showed some great mentality, some great character to get back in the game and we have to try to start every game in the same way.

"I am stronger now for having come through this difficult run - the only thing I can be is stronger - and I think more about the team because without my teammates I would never score. Other people may put the focus on me but I play for the team and it is always about the team, not about me. Yes, I will try to score but I do this for the team, for the fans, everybody. That's the joy you get from scoring goals and this is the thing I appreciate most.

"I am young still, I'm still developing my game and learning, so I don't worry about what people say because this is football and I know if I continue to work hard I will be better. I can understand why people put a lot of pressure on me because of what I showed last season. I set my level high so they expect I will play in the same way, at the same level. At the beginning of the season I knew that it would be tough because everyone knows me and I knew it would be harder to score like last season. Now I have to do something new, now that everybody knows me I have to create something special or do something different to last season.

"I feel better than I did a few weeks ago because I wasn't 100%. I had an injury that stopped me but since the Sunderland game I feel much better in myself. I made a mistake because I tried to play through the injury and I couldn't give everything. It was my knee. I worked out for about 10 days back in Belgium and this helped me a lot. I now feel much better.

"I think for everybody, not just for a young person, the family is very important, the most important. It's the basis, it's the first thing. When something is wrong or if something is good too, it's your family you turn to. My mum doesn't really know about football but my dad always follows the news and he knows how I'm doing and how I'm feeling. He feels the same as me so if I don't score he feels bad, he feels the same as me. Sometimes I feel like he is on the pitch with me and I can see his face is not happy or he is smiling because he's happy. We have always been close like this and this is good, it's good for me. So when he said to me not to worry, I just have to play my way, like I can do, this meant a lot. It was reassuring and important to me."

The Belgian international's importance to Villa was encapsulated by Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers. "Benteke is the reference point for [their] team," he insisted earlier this season. Certainly, he resembled closely a peak-form version of himself in the recent away win at Sunderland, his first game back after the revitalising sabbatical.

"When I came back I was fit to play again and, as always, I tried to do my best," Benteke said. A shy, almost reticent personality away from the game, he accepts with a philosophical shrug the criticism that is an essential part of the territory for any Barclays Premier League player, particularly one whose first season in English football was so immediately impactful. But he emphasises the progress being made by the team overall and their objectives over the remaining 17 games when placing the harshest observations in perspective.

"Criticism is part of football, just as it's part of life," he acknowledged. "Sometimes people forget I am only 23, but criticism is part of football and I accept this. It doesn't matter if people criticise, I just need to do my thing and do what I can do and some days will be good and others will be bad. This is football, this is life. I have to deal with that.

"Of course I feel frustrated if I don't play well. I tell myself, 'I can do more.' This is the worst feeling I can have after the game where I didn't shoot well, where I didn't score, where I didn't pass the ball or find the right pass. But this is football. If you play well everyone is going to say it's good and if you play bad they will say you didn't play very good, so this is football.

"My first season here, everything was good. It seemed like in every game I played I scored a goal, especially the second half of the season. This season has been a bit harder for me. But it's not important if I score, the most important thing is the team. Everybody speaks about it if I don't score but now we are 11th in the league and we are better than last season. This is the most important thing. It's only from a personal perspective that I have been frustrated. Maybe I score less but we are better in the league, so sometimes you have to take the positives.

Benteke

"I think we can improve from the mistakes we make along the way and try to work on it. For me, my teammates have helped, the manager also. He just told me to play my game and the goals will come and not to worry about it. Play for the team, he said, and you will see the goals are going to come. That I can bring some more good moments for the team, this is what drives me on. Definitely, we will get better as a team because we are mostly young and we all want to get better. Together this is our goal."

Anfield and the memories of last season's performance there stir current passions and, for Benteke, the irresistible talent and diamond-hard resolve of Luis Suarez shine a beacon on how the game can be played. "Suarez is definitely one of the best," he said admiringly. "The thing I like about him most is that he just keeps going. Sometimes a striker can try to dribble, do some skills, lose the ball and he will lose his hope and confidence. But Suarez? Never. He will shoot the wrong side of the net but he will try again, try again and try again until he scores a goal and that's why he is a great player.

"The way he deals with problems, too, is a lesson for every player. You see what happened with him last season and yet he came back stronger. That is a good motivation for every player, me also, knowing you must face adversity and knowing you can come back from this. As a team, the motivation for us is simple. We have shown that we can do something good when we play, especially in away games. What we did against Liverpool last season was great from the lads, so we have to try to do the same again. Liverpool are on fire, we know this, but what we showed on Monday night in the second half against Arsenal we have to bring that to Anfield and, if we do, we can do well again. We know this from last season and we know we can win big games - we did this already this season at Arsenal and also against Manchester City. With the right mentality, a strong mentality, you can always achieve."

Just ask the patriarchal Jean-Pierre.

• Like 1

Â