Fine for using mobile while driving up to £90 !

smetrov

Glad most people here seem to be okay with it, in fact if anything the fine should be greater (we have a similar law here).

No doubt some people will see it as "<stereotypical Southern accent>infringing on my freeeeedom!</accent>"

That accent - southern England or southern USA?

US.

:D

you?

Huh?

And why can't phone manufacturers be encouraged to build in a motion sensor - that disables the phone @ say 20mph ?

Not sure if srs

Edited by ED

StefanAVFC, on 09 May 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

I mean, I check mine when I'm at traffic lights and stuff, but rarely make phone calls and if I do, I'm on speaker.

You may be unaware that technically this is still illegal. To use your phone behind the wheel of your car the engine must be off and the car pulled over and legally parked.

Yeah I know. But it's a bit wishy washy. I'm more of a drink my drink or eat while I'm driving which is probably worse  :lol:

It's illegal even if it's handsfree?

StefanAVFC, on 09 May 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

I mean, I check mine when I'm at traffic lights and stuff, but rarely make phone calls and if I do, I'm on speaker.

You may be unaware that technically this is still illegal. To use your phone behind the wheel of your car the engine must be off and the car pulled over and legally parked.

Yeah I know. But it's a bit wishy washy. I'm more of a drink my drink or eat while I'm driving which is probably worse  :lol:

It's illegal even if it's handsfree?

No. Put it in a cradle on your dashboard/windscreen and press it to your hearts content. The **** can't touch you. (Apart from maybe due care and attention)  

IIRC the law is "using a hand held mobile phone whilst driving" - otherwise the in-built car systems would be illegal too.

:thumb:

Oh good, because I do that a lot. Not to use it as a phone (apart from pressing the green button to answer a call) but to use it as a sat nav or to change tracks on the mp3 player.

But I've never been sure if it's technically legal or not.

Really hate it when I see drivers in expensive motors using mobiles when these days they all have bloody Bluetooth and even if their car hasn't, how much does a handsfree cost compared to the price of the vehicle?

In fact, how much is a kit for any car, if they simply must talk to someone in their car? I bet it's less that 90 quid.

As someone alluded to earlier in the thread though, it's a largely unenforceable law, unless the coppers are lucky enough to catch someone in the act. Proving that someone was talking or texting when they've had an accident is simple these days, but by then it's too late I suppose.

The biggest bugbear for me is watching drivers get into their car, dial someone up and drive off whilst holding a conversation. The height of w4nkerism.

if people are allowed to smoke whilst driving then you should be allowed to use a mobile whilst driving as well

texting whilst driving is a no no though

if people are allowed to smoke whilst driving then you should be allowed to use a mobile whilst driving as well

I disagree.

Smoking requires you to locate the packet , take a cig out , find your lighter , light the thing , open the window to flick the ash out and smoke it before flicking the butt out the window and littering the streets  ..

mobile phone is no different to having a conversation with somebody else in the car with you ... most phones are voice activated these days  i.e Siri

My wife saw a girl texting while riding a vespa/moped the other day. She was in her school uniform so she rang the school and informed them to expect a visit from the police, whom she had just rung and given a full description of the girl to.

I disagree.

Smoking requires you to locate the packet , take a cig out , find your lighter , light the thing , open the window to flick the ash out and smoke it before flicking the butt out the window and littering the streets  ..

mobile phone is no different to having a conversation with somebody else in the car with you ... most phones are voice activated these days  i.e Siri

All I meant was it should be the other way round.

It shouldn't be legal to talk on a phone because it's legal to smoke.

It should be ILLEGAL to smoke because it's illegal to talk on the phone.

(I do think that smoking is less distracting than talking on the phone, but that's not the point)

I disagree.

Nah, most people do all the hard stuff at traffic lights

Â