Fine for using mobile while driving up to £90 !

smetrov

What a joke - increasing it from £60 - £90 - I see so many people driving whilst on the phone - it really annoys me. People are being killed or maimed for no reason. Your hurling 3 ton of steel around - it needs your full attention.

Fine should be £500 IMO

And why can't phone manufacturers be encouraged to build in a motion sensor - that disables the phone @ say 20mph ?

• Like 1

I thought this was going to be a complaint the other way, saying it's too much!

But yeah agreed, so many people I know do it and it's silly. I mean, I check mine when I'm at traffic lights and stuff, but rarely make phone calls and if I do, I'm on speaker.

^^ Er. This may be better off in the confessions thread but I am a regular offender on this one..... normally I do put the phone in a cradle and use speakerphone and have it on "drving mode" to dictate texts/emails etc. but the times I forget I will just pick it up.

That said, I refuse to beleive that holding it to my ear and talking is any more or less distracting that digging a pack of fags out of my pocket, lighting up and puffing away.... but that is probably another arguement. ....

Glad most people here seem to be okay with it, in fact if anything the fine should be greater (we have a similar law here).

No doubt some people will see it as "<stereotypical Southern accent>infringing on my freeeeedom!</accent>"

StefanAVFC, on 09 May 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

I mean, I check mine when I'm at traffic lights and stuff, but rarely make phone calls and if I do, I'm on speaker.

You may be unaware that technically this is still illegal. To use your phone behind the wheel of your car the engine must be off and the car pulled over and legally parked.

Glad most people here seem to be okay with it, in fact if anything the fine should be greater (we have a similar law here).

No doubt some people will see it as "<stereotypical Southern accent>infringing on my freeeeedom!</accent>"

That accent - southern England or southern USA?

US.

:D

I mean, I check mine when I'm at traffic lights and stuff, but rarely make phone calls and if I do, I'm on speaker.

You may be unaware that technically this is still illegal. To use your phone behind the wheel of your car the engine must be off and the car pulled over and legally parked.

Yeah I know. But it's a bit wishy washy. I'm more of a drink my drink or eat while I'm driving which is probably worse  :lol:

Yeah I know. But it's a bit wishy washy. I'm more of a drink my drink or eat while I'm driving which is probably worse  :lol:

Probably.

I wonder it's so specific as to just target phones, instead of just punishing driving without due care and attention, for whatever reason. Mobiles no, food, drink, yes, tablets, a Kindle, maybe playing the violin?

Edited by Davkaus

US.

:D

you?

Also believe that you need to take the keys out of the ignition

Probably.

I wonder it's so specific as to just target phones, instead of just punishing driving without due care and attention, for whatever reason. Mobiles no, food, drink, yes, tablets, a Kindle, maybe playing the violin?

Originally - if you were caught on phone - you were liable under the due care and attention stuff. Obviously this left plenty of wriggle room for lawyers to get you off.

One of the most frightening things I seen - was a great big full size articulated lorry - it caught my eye, because I thought he took a mini roundabout a bit quick - I glanced up - and was disgusted to see him jabbering away on his mobile.

Â