Wigan v Swansea

villarule123

Yes if Newcastle and Norwich  get a point on Sunday then I think Wigan are relegated. Very difficult to see how they will get anything at Arsenal. I know they won there last year but the schedule is against them and if they defend like they did tonight and at West Brom they will get hammered.

Edited by PaulC

Martinez just isn't very good is he? Having watched the full 90 of their last few games it's easy to see why they are down their. 3 of the 5 they conceded we're easily avoidable and just awful defending from players clearly being told to do they aren't comfortable doing. Scharner and Caldwell give away the ball in bad positions because they can't actually play football and yet that's what Martinez expects of them. Teams are more than happy to mark up and force those 2 to try and make a pass and they can't. Jewell and Bruce at least had seasons where they weren't facing relegation.

The look on the faces of WIgan players was imo very telling, I think they're resigned for relegation now - this was their big chance of avoiding the drop and if they defend anything like tonight against Arsenal and us I can't see anything but losses for them.

Martinez just isn't very good is he? Having watched the full 90 of their last few games it's easy to see why they are down their. 3 of the 5 they conceded we're easily avoidable and just awful defending from players clearly being told to do they aren't comfortable doing. Scharner and Caldwell give away the ball in bad positions because they can't actually play football and yet that's what Martinez expects of them. Teams are more than happy to mark up and force those 2 to try and make a pass and they can't. Jewell and Bruce at least had seasons where they weren't facing relegation.

In fairness to martinez his first choice defence was injured tonight, ramis, alcatraz and figueroa, Bruce and jewell also spent a lot more than martinez. They've been fighting for 5 seasons now, only so many times you can patch together a team of cast offs and cheap foreigners and win 6 out of the last 10 to stay up

I think it's unfair and more than a bit ridiculous to claim that Martinez is somehow not very good considering what he has done at Wigan. That club are miniscule compared to everyone else in the Prem. It is a fact that if they go down they'll be one of the 2 or 3 smallest clubs in the Championship.

It is amazing that they have managed to be in the Premier League for, what, 6 or 7 years?

Put it this way. In an age where we're lamenting moneybags clubs like Chelski & Citeh ruining the game, I find it strange that we can't see that here's someone doing it the right way, upsetting the odds and yet we're giving out about them too for being somehow unworthy of their status. Perhaps we, as fans, just like f**king moaning no matter what we're moaning about? :)

• Like 2

I think it's unfair and more than a bit ridiculous to claim that Martinez is somehow not very good considering what he has done at Wigan. That club are miniscule compared to everyone else in the Prem. It is a fact that if they go down they'll be one of the 2 or 3 smallest clubs in the Championship.

It is amazing that they have managed to be in the Premier League for, what, 6 or 7 years?

Put it this way. In an age where we're lamenting moneybags clubs like Chelski & Citeh ruining the game, I find it strange that we can't see that here's someone doing it the right way, upsetting the odds and yet we're giving out about them too for being somehow unworthy of their status. Perhaps we, as fans, just like f**king moaning no matter what we're moaning about? :)

I don't think people would've minded that much if we weren't in the situation we've been in the last 3 years. Fighting against relegation and competing with wigan, and especially this season when most of us have feared their success in surviving year after year and this year feared it would be on our cost.

That should only enhance peoples' opinion of the job Martinez does though. The fact that they're even a rival of the mighty Aston Villa beggars belief.

I think the dislike of Wigan is down to one man, which is Dave Whelan. We can go on and on about what a great job Martinez has done, but for past two years Mr Whelan has took it upon himself to have a few pops at us in regards to there manager.

• Like 2

I think it's unfair and more than a bit ridiculous to claim that Martinez is somehow not very good considering what he has done at Wigan.

Well he's done a worse job than the previous managers. This is their 8th season in the Premier League and they've finished 10th, 11th and 14th in 3 of them - none with Martinez. Martinez best finish is 15th. They may be a tiny club, but others have shown it's not impossible not to be shit.

I think the dislike of Wigan is down to one man, which is Dave Whelan. We can go on and on about what a great job Martinez has done, but for past two years Mr Whelan has took it upon himself to have a few pops at us in regards to there manager.

Absolutely

I think it's unfair and more than a bit ridiculous to claim that Martinez is somehow not very good considering what he has done at Wigan.

Well he's done a worse job than the previous managers. This is their 8th season in the Premier League and they've finished 10th, 11th and 14th in 3 of them - none with Martinez. Martinez best finish is 15th. They may be a tiny club, but others have shown it's not impossible not to be shit.

Yes but the discussion isn't how he compares to someone who was there before him. The discussion is whether keeping that club in the Premier League is a success in itself and whether it makes him better than 'not very good'.

Yes but the discussion isn't how he compares to someone who was there before him. The discussion is whether keeping that club in the Premier League is a success in itself and whether it makes him better than 'not very good'.

I don't know about this season, but last season they didn't have a bottom 3 wage bill which I can only assume is what the "small club" comments are meant to get at. I just don't think he's very good and doesn't have a plan B. As I said in my earlier post, a lot of the goals they concede are down to his insistence of playing a certain way from back to front. His tactics at the end of the day are seemingly to outscore the opposition and with the players he has, he should know that's not going to happen all too often.

Martinez is one of those managers who gets away with it a bit because he plays "good football"

When he turned us down I was dead set against him getting the Villa job because I thought he was overrated. He'd been seconds away from relegation the season before and no-one would have been touting him for our job if those final seconds of the season had been slightly different.

The dislike of Wigan (well, mine certainly) is pretty much based on Dave Whelan.

Martinez should be credited with laying the foundations at Swansea that now sees them enjoying their current success he deserves a shot at a club with a bigger budget but agree with Stevo that he and others are given more slack than others whose style of play is less "pretty".

If I could, I'd keep Wigan up and relegate Whelan. I completely agree with those who say their hatred of them is down to him. Sadly, so is Wigan's success.

Â