UKIP Nutters

bickster

As for counter terrorism, we spent more money and, more importantly, spilled too much blood quite unnecessarily ramping up the threat. Then China got the oil -  brilliant! We're reaping what we sowed there.

What makes you think that protecting China's oil wasn't the primary aim of the US?

What makes you think that protecting China's oil wasn't the primary aim of the US?

I ain't in the US.

The US may well want to keep China sweet, because they're in hock to them up to their eyeballs. 

Tread carefully though, China's bubble is also more fragile than meets the eye. The value of some of the assets that they've used as security for their own loans don't marry up in reality.

It's also handy leverage for those wanting to drill in protected areas and frack more widely.

The US may well want to keep China sweet, because they're in hock to them up to their eyeballs. 

Tread carefully though, China's bubble is also more fragile than meets the eye. The value of some of the assets that they've used as security for their own loans don't marry up in reality.

Borrow a million dollars and the bank owns you.

Borrow a billion dollars and you own the bank.

China's bubble imploding will be spectacular (and I've been calling it on VT for a number of years), and ultimately of little bad consequence to the US.

(In any event, the US has very little in meaningful debt, but I'll leave it for peterms to explain that).

Edited by leviramsey

We don't get any aid, says president of Bongobongoland

07-08-13

BONGOBONGOLAND last night insisted it has never received a penny in international aid.

The country’s president spoke out after UKIP MEP Godfrey Bloom claimed all of Britain’s £11bn aid budget was being sent to the small west African nation.

President Brian Inkatwe said: “We get by on our own. I think it’s because no-one actually believes we exist.

“I have written to the UN on several occasions asking them if they could give us advice on starting a rural banking scheme, but every time they write back and tell me that the phrase ‘Bongobongoland’ is horribly racist and that I should stop wasting their time.

“Some aid would be nice as our economy has suffered since Chinese factories started pumping out cut price bongos.”

Bongobongoland sits between Liberia and the Ivory Coast and was a British colony until 1959. When it was granted independence everyone in Britain assumed the news reports referred to the entire African continent.

President Inkatwe added: “Our neighbours in Liberia receive some aid money and as far as I can tell most of it does actually get spent on making people’s lives  just a tiny bit better. Not as good as yours or Godfrey Bloom’s obviously, but just not horrible all the time.

“No doubt some of it gets siphoned off and spent on fancy sunglasses, but people are shits wherever you go.

“Except Britain of course. Everyone in Britain is just **** brilliant.”

Daily Mash, natch

:)

Maybe Mr Bloom is mistaken and we've been giving aid to Bongo FC instead by mistake, That's how they have managed to stave of administration all this time and can continue to pay Nikola Zigic, Could also be why they haven't published proper audited accounts, fearing if the error comes to light the cash handouts will stop.

• Like 1

More hospitals isn't the answer

What we need is better ones

But that's another thread ....

Can't disagree that quality not quantity is the important factor. As long as you are not way short on the quantity side of things. ie, not much point having only one shoe of the most amazing quality. (unless you've had a leg amputated, and even then it could be for the wrong foot)

• 1 month later...

Michael Crick @MichaelLCrick 54m

Only eight of the 13 Ukip MEPs elected in 2009 still have the party whip, though they've gained Roger Helmer so still have nine MEPs

Brothel-visit Euro MP under fire after saying: Most prostitutes not exploited

YORKSHIRE Euro MP Godfrey Bloom has confessed to visiting brothels and declared that, far from being exploited, most prostitutes "do it because they want to".

In an extraordinary admission, the UK Independence Party politician has said that as a Hong Kong-based businessman he used to visit whorehouses as if he were going for a curry following an after-work drink.

But in an article penned for the Brussels-based political magazine The Sprout, he claimed the amount of beer usually drunk by him and colleagues meant that visits were never consummated.

In the article, Mr Bloom – who came to prominence after famously joking that women did not clean behind the fridge enough and stating "no small businessman with a brain would employ a woman of child-bearing age" – also criticised the exclusive portrayal of prostitution as a trade exploiting the majority of women working in it.

"Terrified young women beaten into prostitution often from Eastern Europe... is only a very small aspect of the flesh trade," said Mr Bloom, who sits on the European Parliament's women's rights and gender equality committee.

He added: "In short, most girls do it because they want to."

Last night, he insisted he was making a serious political point about proposals currently going through Brussels to "phase out" prostitution – and said attempts to impose blanket bans meant resources being directed away from women who really did need help.

"If they (prostitutes) wanted a job as a Tesco check-out girl, they'd go do that instead." And referring to the experiences detailed in the article, he said: "I did not say that I had taken advantage of a prostitute."

Last night, Labour Yorkshire Euro MP Linda McAvan hit out at Mr Bloom, calling his article "extraordinary".

"Once again, Mr Bloom is making comments that question his suitability for public office," she said.

"If he did any research on the subject I think he would find that prostitution is a very sad affair and the majority of girls don't have any choice in what they're having to do."

peterms, on 20 Sept 2013 - 5:49 PM, said:

Michael Crick @MichaelLCrick 54m

Only eight of the 13 Ukip MEPs elected in 2009 still have the party whip, though they've gained Roger Helmer so still have nine MEPs

Brothel-visit Euro MP under fire after saying: Most prostitutes not exploited

YORKSHIRE Euro MP Godfrey Bloom has confessed to visiting brothels and declared that, far from being exploited, most prostitutes "do it because they want to".

In an extraordinary admission, the UK Independence Party politician has said that as a Hong Kong-based businessman he used to visit whorehouses as if he were going for a curry following an after-work drink.

But in an article penned for the Brussels-based political magazine The Sprout, he claimed the amount of beer usually drunk by him and colleagues meant that visits were never consummated.

In the article, Mr Bloom – who came to prominence after famously joking that women did not clean behind the fridge enough and stating "no small businessman with a brain would employ a woman of child-bearing age" – also criticised the exclusive portrayal of prostitution as a trade exploiting the majority of women working in it.

"Terrified young women beaten into prostitution often from Eastern Europe... is only a very small aspect of the flesh trade," said Mr Bloom, who sits on the European Parliament's women's rights and gender equality committee.

He added: "In short, most girls do it because they want to."

Last night, he insisted he was making a serious political point about proposals currently going through Brussels to "phase out" prostitution – and said attempts to impose blanket bans meant resources being directed away from women who really did need help.

"If they (prostitutes) wanted a job as a Tesco check-out girl, they'd go do that instead." And referring to the experiences detailed in the article, he said: "I did not say that I had taken advantage of a prostitute."

Last night, Labour Yorkshire Euro MP Linda McAvan hit out at Mr Bloom, calling his article "extraordinary".

"Once again, Mr Bloom is making comments that question his suitability for public office," she said.

"If he did any research on the subject I think he would find that prostitution is a very sad affair and the majority of girls don't have any choice in what they're having to do."

thing is to some extent he is correct  , though probably the West doesn't understand it

The forced prostitution is an evil trade and he shouldn't be detracting anything from that  , but with regards to Asia which I believe he was also referring to with his statement  , they may not necessarily " want to do it "   but a good majority  of the women out that way do get into "prostitution"  voluntary ... when I was in BKK my mate picked up some woman in a bar , she was a secretary by trade but on her way to work she saw a pair of shoes she fancied so went to the German bar on Sukhumwit with the hope that she may be able to bed a westerner and get the money to buy the shoes .. she was quite open about it , no shame as far as she was concerned  .. of course my mate duly  obliged !!

He has lived out that way for 12 years ,  so I could regale you with hundreds of similar stories  ( he is a bit of deviant unfortunately so hundreds is not an exaggeration)  .. but talk to anyone of that persuasion who has been out Asia way and I'm sure they will tell you the same , it's kind of an accepted way of life out that way  , it doesn't carry the stigma it does in the UK for example

Of course as a person in a prominent position the statement is ill advised , but this bloke does seem to  make a habit of it

thing is to some extent he is correct  , though probably the West doesn't understand it

The forced prostitution is an evil trade and he shouldn't be detracting anything from that  , but with regards to Asia which I believe he was also referring to with his statement  , they may not necessarily " want to do it "   but a good majority  of the women out that way do get into "prostitution"  voluntary ... when I was in BKK my mate picked up some woman in a bar , she was a secretary by trade but on her way to work she saw a pair of shoes she fancied so went to the German bar on Sukhumwit with the hope that she may be able to bed a westerner and get the money to buy the shoes .. she was quite open about it , no shame as far as she was concerned  .. of course my mate duly  obliged !!

He has lived out that way for 12 years ,  so I could regale you with hundreds of similar stories  ( he is a bit of deviant unfortunately so hundreds is not an exaggeration)  .. but talk to anyone of that persuasion who has been out Asia way and I'm sure they will tell you the same , it's kind of an accepted way of life out that way  , it doesn't carry the stigma it does in the UK for example

Of course as a person in a prominent position the statement is ill advised , but this bloke does seem to  make a habit of it

But the issue is not whether people get into prostitution as a choice and leave when they want to (some do, some don't), but the ability of a senior politician to discuss the subject with even a shred of sensibility.  It's like he has no awareness at all of the sensitivity of the issue, or the fact that for those people who do it against their will it's likely to have involved rape, extreme violence, maybe human trafficking as well; and that what's expected of someone in his position is to be able to demonstrate a bit of thought and concern, not sound off like a drunken oaf down the Dog and Duck.

On the subject of his political sense, he seems to have managed to call a room full of women "sluts", affecting ignorance of how the word is actually used and making out it means "slightly slovenly".  He has taken the spotlight away from his own leader's big speech at conference.  He has now had the whip withdrawn.

He really does seem like a caricature of the most over-the-top cartoon bigot.  Colonel Blimp meets Major Misunderstanding.

Well, it wasn't quite Neil Kinnock taking on Militant at his party conference in 1985, but when Nigel Farage stood up a few minutes ago to denounce Godfrey Bloom, there was a spark of drama that is rare in party conferences now. Because it was not clear whether the party members would support the decision (not Farage's personal decision - he claimed he had nothing to do with party discipline) to take the whip away from Godfrey Bloom. Earlier members cheered Bloom enthusiastically. But when Farage spoke he carried the audience with him. 

Here's the key quote

Increasingly over the last few months [bloom's] pronouncments and statements have left us in a position where, frankly, what we stand for and what we campaign for are irrelevant. [All that is left today] is Godfrey's latest comment.

I've had very sharp words from him about it. There were one or two incidents today - you can tell Steve [Crowther, the party chairman who announced that Bloom was losing the whip just before Farage spoke] was in PR because he said it "conditioned" our media coverage. There is no media coverage of this conference. It's gone, it's dead. It's all about Godfrey hitting a journalist and using an unpleasant four-letter word. It's gone. We can't put up with it. We can't have one individual, however fun, or flamboyant, or amusing they are, we can't have any one individual destroying Ukip''s national conference.I'm sad about that but we can't tolerate this.

And here are the key points.

• Godfrey Bloom, a Ukip MEP, has had the whip withdrawn after making a comment about women being "sluts". He said it was a joke.

• Ukip members have welcomed the move. Nigel Farage was strongly applauded after he gave a short speech denouncing Bloom at the end of the confernece. He said that positive media coverage of the conference was "dead" because of Bloom's outburst.

I was under the impression the "sluts" comment was laughed off by the women present in the room who  .. and was only an issue to some journalist  ?

Again , not a choice of phrase I'd use , but on closer inspection it doesn't seem to be the issue it's being made out to be

I agree like his other phrase it's not becoming of office , but he wouldn't be the first politician to use an unfortunate phrase , as Gordon will tell you  ..

The reaction of the women in the room is irrelevant.  He demonstrates an attitude to women which may accurately reflect not only his thinking but that of many others in his party, but which also runs completely counter to his party's professed values, undermines his leader, torpedoes their hoped-for press coverage on the biggest day of their year, and alienates significant parts of a very large and very important constituency.  It reinforces the image of them as a party for drunken, elderly white male racists - a gift to their opponents.

If you had asked a Ukip press person yesterday to outline the worst PR nightmare that could happen to them today, then this series of interventions would have been a little too far-fetched.  (I forgot the one about hitting the journalist).

And before we hear about how he has the courage of his convictions, won't kowtow to PC liberals and all that bollocks, let's note that in his comments on prostitution, he was careful to work in a weaselly comment about being too drunk ever to consummate his visits.  It's a sly, slightly shamefaced backing away from his superficially bluff, no-nonsense comments.  The Clinton defence - he didn't inhale.

He's a clueless idiot, with no common sense or political sense.  I hope he's reinstated as soon as possible.

peterms, on 20 Sept 2013 - 7:14 PM, said:

The reaction of the women in the room is irrelevant.  He demonstrates an attitude to women which may accurately reflect not only his thinking but that of many others in his party, but which also runs completely counter to his party's professed values, undermines his leader, torpedoes their hoped-for press coverage on the biggest day of their year, and alienates significant parts of a very large and very important constituency.  It reinforces the image of them as a party for drunken, elderly white male racists - a gift to their opponents.

If you had asked a Ukip press person yesterday to outline the worst PR nightmare that could happen to them today, then this series of interventions would have been a little too far-fetched.  (I forgot the one about hitting the journalist).

And before we hear about how he has the courage of his convictions, won't kowtow to PC liberals and all that bollocks, let's note that in his comments on prostitution, he was careful to work in a weaselly comment about being too drunk ever to consummate his visits.  It's a sly, slightly shamefaced backing away from his superficially bluff, no-nonsense comments.  The Clinton defence - he didn't inhale.

He's a clueless idiot, with no common sense or political sense.  I hope he's reinstated as soon as possible.

I have to disagree here

He didn't say "all women are slags " or any other outrageous statement  .. the 2 women made a quip about a previous statement he had made and he made a light hearted jest back at them  ..one which they laughed at

now I could sterotype here and make a judgement about the type of woman likely to be present at a UKIP meeting , but lets assume they were just 2 ordinary women who liked the banter

where is the issue in that ?? 

I kinda agree with you about his character , he's clearly leaving on planet bonkers   , but we have to let the 2 women be offended  or make the complaint on this particular issue  surely ?

Â