Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Meanwhile, Villa remain in the hunt for Crewe’s Luke Murphy and Max Clayton.

:bang:

Whats wrong with that? I'd love both of them. I think Murphy would be good for the first team and Clayton a pretty good backup to bring through who could be very good.

Luke Murphy would be a great addition. More highly rated by Westwood within Crewe. And Clayton is a good young player. Neither will be expensive and both will offer something.

Also They're just that. Links. I bet you've never seen either of them play. But anyway, you're not worth the time. You spent all season slagging off Westwood so I wouldn't expect you to see the positives in the potential.

You must be a troll. Nobody can be this sincerely negative about everything.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

Whats wrong with that? I'd love both of them. I think Murphy would be good for the first team and Clayton a pretty good backup to bring through who could be very good.

I just dont see how we can keep signing these players and kick on. Im all for dipping into the lower leagues and finding a gem, but very rarely are they found and you just cant base a whole team around it. I fear that if we continue it will be a season like last time. 

There in the lower leagues for a good reason at the end of the day. i know Crewe have a good academy but there hasnt been many if any superstars. Just players who have had ok careers at a decent level.

Edited by Woodytom

I just dont see how we can keep signing these players and kick on. Im all dipping into the lower leagues and finding a gem, but very rarely are they found and you just cant base a whole team around it. I fear that if we continue it will be a season like last time. 

There in the lower leagues for a good reason at the end of the day. i know Crewe have a good academy but there hasnt been many if any superstars. Just players who have had ok careers at a decent level.

>being linked with 2 players from lower leagues

>building our team with lower league players

Woodytom, ladies and gentlemen

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

Luke Murphy would be a great addition. More highly rated by Westwood within Crewe. And Clayton is a good young player. Neither will be expensive and both will offer something.

Also They're just that. Links. I bet you've never seen either of them play. But anyway, you're not worth the time. You spent all season slagging off Westwood so I wouldn't expect you to see the positives in the potential.

Why bother replying if I am not worth the time?

There is loads of stuff I dont have a negative opinion on. Christ i have just been jumped on for rating Benteke too highly.

Are you sleeping with Ashley Westwood or something? You seem unable to go 2 minutes without mentioning him.

Edited by Woodytom

I just dont see how we can keep signing these players and kick on. Im all dipping into the lower leagues and finding a gem, but very rarely are they found and you just cant base a whole team around it. I fear that if we continue it will be a season like last time. 

Are they the only 2 players we have been linked with?

Are any of the players we are linked with from top European leagues, bar the guy from Montpellier?

Did we not sign a load of lower league players last Summer?

Why bother replying if I am not worth the time?

There is loads of stuff I dont have a negative opinion. Christ i have just been jumped on for rating Benteke to highly.

Are you sleeping with Ashley Westwood or something? You seem unable to go 2 minutes without mentioning him.

No. Your opinion on Benteke was based on slagging the club off. You see ANYTHING as an excuse to have a dig. I could go through your posts and pick a ridiculous amount of examples. This is a LINK to 2 lower league players and you're posting negative drivel. If you've not nothing positive to contribute, why do you contribute at all? I'm asking honestly, what do you get out of it? It's completely baffling.

We have a great record from buying from Crewe with Platt and Westwood. I've seen Murphy play loads of times and he's great. But he's from 'lower league' so he must be shit and warranting a ' :bang: ' right? Clayton is better than Bowery at the moment and will be much better than him in the future. Bowery wasn't even bought to be the first team but he impressed Lambert in training.

And ironic, considering you brought him into a thread nothing to do with him not long ago.  :crylaugh:

Are they the only 2 players we have been linked with?

Are any of the players we are linked with from top European leagues, bar the guy from Montpellier?

Did we not sign a load of lower league players last Summer?

Lets sign known players on big wages! That sounds like a great plan. Working well for Newcastle right now and worked well for us in the past didn't it?

Stefan - A few points.

Did I bring him into a thread that wasnt about him or was he mentioned by another poster who said that his value had quadrupled?

Did I say that I think we should sign just known players on big wages? - How about known players on manageable wages - seems to be working well for Tottenham. FWIW, I think a balance between what we are doing and more known players would be good.

Our great record from buying from Crewe includes 2 players from nearly 3 decades. I will give you Platt - Westwood is hardly ready to be called a great yet.

You have seen Murphy play and hes great - so he must be great. Ok.

Now I will ask you again, as this will only end up in the same way as usual. Do you want to debate properly or are you going to continue dragging up some nonsense past as a way of point scoring and calling me a troll? By all means put your point across. If we disagree then fine, we can debate, that is what the forum is for. 

Otherwise, id prefer if you stuck to your word and proved I was not worth the time. I mean, i genuinely thought you had blocked me?

Either way, lets put a stop to the immature bickering that all our debates seem to come to, for the sake of the whole website.

• Like 1

Younes Belhanda is the very definition of a pipe dream. When Paul Lambert talks of scouting gems in Europe, they aren't players who would command a transfer fee higher than the average Premiership player, not to mention an inflated wage. That defeats the entire purpose. And, let's be honest, if there's CL clubs (genuine CL clubs, not Celtic) sniffing around why on Earth would he sign with a club which, to the uninformed outsider, appears destined for another relegation scrap?

Don't get me wrong, I would be ecstatic if we signed someone of Belhanda's stature... it's simply not going to happen. At least with Will Hughes we have something to offer him that these other CL sides can't, i.e. an immediate spot in the starting XI. Belhanda would not at all look out of place playing for an Atleti or a Milan. He's selling himself short if he comes here over the aforementioned clubs. It's unfortunate, honestly, but it's the truth.

Edited by Caddy

Stefan - A few points.

Did I bring him into a thread that wasnt about him or was he mentioned by another poster who said that his value had quadrupled?

Did I say that I think we should sign just known players on big wages? - How about known players on manageable wages - seems to be working well for Tottenham. FWIW, I think a balance between what we are doing and more known players would be good.

Our great record from buying from Crewe includes 2 players from nearly 3 decades. I will give you Platt - Westwood is hardly ready to be called a great yet.

Now I will ask you again, as this will only end up in the same way as usual. Do you want to debate properly or are you going to continue dragging up some nonsense past as a way of point scoring and calling me a troll? By all means put your point across. If we disagree then fine, we can debate, that is what the forum is for. 

Otherwise, id prefer if you stuck to your word and proved I was not worth the time. I mean, i genuinely thought you had blocked me?

Either way, lets put a stop to the immature bickering that all our debates seem to come to, for the sake of the whole website.

Who called him 'a great'? He's been 'great' for us this year.

Regardless of the time period, 2/2 from Crewe have been great signings.

Another poster mentioned him yet you jumped at the opportunity to have a pop. Like usual.

Well at least I've seen him and am expressing an opinion about his ability, rather than just posting a little 'banging head on wall' emoticon because we have the sheer audacity to be linked with him

Spurs? Manageable wages? Not anymore. And when they were paying 'manageable wages', they were 'manageable' compared to our ridiculously unmanageable wages. They still pay far more than us and far more than we will be anywhere near.

It's not a debate when one side just posts negativity at a constant. This isn't a criticism just levelled by me either.

Did we not strike a balance between experienced internationals and 'lower league players' last season? Striking out Bowery, because as stated, he wasn't expected to even be a first team player

Experienced internationals:

Holman (not PL's signing, but still came in)

KEA

Vlaar

Guzan

(Benteke) - in brackets because international but not experienced

Lower League players:

Lowton

Westwood

Bennett

(Sylla) - January 

To even imply we didn't have a balanced approach last summer is just wrong. And if anything, the 'lower league players' showed the experienced up.

Edited by StefanAVFC

So Villa's 6 reported signings could be Tonev, Popov, Murphy, Belhanda (very unlikely indeed) and two defenders; an experienced centre back partner for Vlaar and back-up for Lowton hopefully, looks like Bennett will be given longer to prove himself  :unsure:

Personally I don't know anything about the above four signings expect for Murphy, Belhanda would be a huge signing from what some people have been tweeting about him, Adel Taarabt like but without the ego and attitude problems and Petrov certainly would know both Tonev and Popov. Rumours we are have linked to Jan Vossen, Will Hughes and James Chester.

Edited by Avflife

I'm cool with that. I'm randomly quite well connected with Crewe Alex and they are both good players. Clayton in particular is highly rated there.

Besides I'd rather go down this route and dream that we turn out like Borussia Dortmund than watch overpaid shitty prima donas prancing around in Villa shirts who don't care about the club and are just wondering which diamond encrusted shisha bar to go to next with their 'glamorous' wives/prostitutes*

*Hyperbole, but you get my point

• Like 1

Stefan - A few points.

Who called him 'a great'? He's been 'great' for us this year.

Regardless of the time period, 2/2 from Crewe have been great signings.

Another poster mentioned him yet you jumped at the opportunity to have a pop. Like usual.

Well at least I've seen him and am expressing an opinion about his ability, rather than just posting a little 'banging head on wall' emoticon because we have the sheer audacity to be linked with him

Spurs? Manageable wages? Not anymore. And when they were paying 'manageable wages', they were 'manageable' compared to our ridiculously unmanageable wages. They still pay far more than us and far more than we will be anywhere near.

It's not a debate when one side just posts negativity at a constant. This isn't a criticism just levelled by me either.

Did we not strike a balance between experienced internationals and 'lower league players' last season? Striking out Bowery, because as stated, he wasn't expected to even be a first team player

Experienced internationals:

Holman (not PL's signing, but still came in)

KEA

Vlaar

Guzan

(Benteke) - in brackets because international but not experienced

Lower League players:

Lowton

Westwood

Bennett

(Sylla) - January 

To even imply we didn't have a balanced approach last summer is just wrong. And if anything, the 'lower league players' showed the experienced up.

This is a complete an utter waste of time. 3 lines in and your criticising my opinion. As big John says - you think it is negative because it is different to yours. Go and read the Randy lerner thread, The Andreas Weimann thread, The Paul Lambert Thread, The Richard Dunne thread, The Jordan Bowery thread. Why dont you actually take a good look at all my posts and come and tell me its all negative. Its just different to you.

Oh and too the question 'Who said Ashley Westwood was great'? You did, twice in your last post.

• Like 2

Who would you have us sign Tom?

Im not sure it matters who I would sign (not really thought of it FWIW). My point is simple. We can not keep signing unknown quantities. Those that work seem to take an age to work and then the rest that don't, don't. The squad is not strong enough atm and I have not seen anyone yet that we have been linked with that would make us immediately stronger.

I had not heard of 1 of last years signings and I have not heard of any of the current links. That does not mean they can not be good, It just means there all a bit risky. And hey, Im all for that, but not every flippin signing.

This whole site spent half the season going mad because Lambert had not signed experience. While there were some positives towards the end of last season, I personally have not seen enough to be confident of going into next season with yet another load of unknown players.