Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Damn, must be something wrong with my laptop. I could have sworn this was the transfer thread rather than the Stephen Ireland thread.

:P You normally find that it is the person working the laptop that is the problem & not actually the laptop itself :P

Have you tried the on switch? ;)

He might be happy to lap it up for a little while longer but will look back when he is in his 30s with massive regret i'd say.  

I doubt it tbh. If there's one vibe I got from Ireland it's always been that he doesn't seem to like being a professional footballer

He'll rot in the reserves for a year picking up his wages.  Frankly if he turns up in the prem again i'd be surprised.  He simply doesn't have the application.  I think he'll either wind hs contract down or do a deal with the club and head off to the MLS.

If he's on a reported £4m or so a year then compromise him and pay him a reduced sum to go now.  He gets a free transfer and a pay out.  otherwise he sits and rots for another 12 months. 

There's always a deal to be done if he wants one.  The club will save some money overall, get a bad egg out of the club and move on.

The only thing i would say is for the sake of another two weeks why not wait to see for sure if he will be here until January.  If no one comes in for him then try and do a deal direct to release the player.  Makes no sense not waitign until the end of the window.

A bad deal all round from day one!

No-one will be interested in Ireland. A loan with us paying half of his wages (at least) for the last year might be our only shot.

If incoming transfers are based on getting rid of those sorts of players then we shouldn't hold our breath. Any deal for Bent will happen reasonly late also, not giving us much time to use that money and available wages.

yep in the buying clubs interest to wait with bent as everyone knows we don't want to pay the wages, so they coudl be hanging on so they get the best deal possible. Ireland, well, if he's prepared to stay knowing there isn't even a minimal chance of him training with the first team, let alone getting a game, then that's his career **** as far as i'm concerned. he *should* be coming into his prime if he wastes one of the best years of his career training on his own picking up his wage then he doesn't want to be a footballer. no-one will touch him with a barge pole if he does that, no club at any decent level that is. Given's move looks to be stalling? Hutton's too?

Looks like the deadwood won't all be out this summer after all. 

When Mcleish signed Given at any point did any of board think we was massively over pricing him?? £5Mill for a player who was pretty much at the end of his career and also the wages he was offered £55-60k a week i'm led to beleive..

When Mcleish signed Given at any point did any of board think we was massively over pricing him?? £5Mill for a player who was pretty much at the end of his career and also the wages he was offered £55-60k a week i'm led to beleive..

In fairness, just like with Hutton, Warnock, Ireland, Nzogbia and even Heskey, the majority of us thought it was a good idea at the time.

yep in the buying clubs interest to wait with bent as everyone knows we don't want to pay the wages, so they coudl be hanging on so they get the best deal possible. Ireland, well, if he's prepared to stay knowing there isn't even a minimal chance of him training with the first team, let alone getting a game, then that's his career **** as far as i'm concerned. he *should* be coming into his prime if he wastes one of the best years of his career training on his own picking up his wage then he doesn't want to be a footballer. no-one will touch him with a barge pole if he does that, no club at any decent level that is. Given's move looks to be stalling? Hutton's too?

Looks like the deadwood won't all be out this summer after all. 

It wouldn't suprise me if Ireland ends up without a club when his contract expires, he may end up in some far flung place or retired imo. No top team will want to take him on after the last couple of seasons.

In fairness, just like with Hutton, Warnock, Ireland, Nzogbia and even Heskey, the majority of us thought it was a good idea at the time.

There were some of us who questioned the length of his contract.

There were some of us who questioned the length of his contract.

Yeah ofcourse, but in the main, it was seen as a sensible signing. One or two eyebrows were raised at the length of the contract, but few serious protestations.

For the record, I never wanted Heskey.

I feel it's important I say that for some reason.

• Like 2

I think a big majority of us felt the Heskey signing would turn out exactly as it did.

I was keen on signing Ireland and Zog, but nothing compares to the disaster that was the Heskey signing: Just a tiny bit more cash and/or imagination at that exact time and we could have finished in the CL places that year. MON and RL's lowest point, imo.

Personally don't think Heskey was that bad for us, and when he signed, although confused, I didn't think he'd be terrible for us either. He just didn't suit our tactic and let MON change from 433 which had us 3rd to 442 which ruined our season.

Anyway, back on topic, Would like to see one or two more faces, but can't see where they would play. Would like a back up to Lowton, as Herd doesn't cut it for me. I Like him, he tries hard, but he's not got the talent to make it in the prem, he needs a move like Hogg had to kickstart his career.

Maybe a creative/attacking midfielder, but we've got too many central midfielders atm. I really can't see where we need to strengthen in numbers, where in talent could be debated all season long. I think we could well be done for the summer now, especially if "The Bomb Squad" don't leave.

I never wanted any of those signings, strange as it might seem Hutton was the one i was least against.

The Heskey signing made me embarresed to be a Villa fan as I and everyone i know saw him as a joke of a player

With Heskey you at least know you're getting a player that will give everything for the team, and he suited MON's tactics. So I thought it was a signing that would improve the squad rather then first team, and given Carew's injury problems at the time made sense! Ireland was NEVER going to be a replacement for Milner that was clear to me! Milner was the heartbeat of the team, with him we could have challenge for a champions league place, without him we were lost! Given was a quality keeper still is, if it wasn't for Guzans rise he would still be our no one.  Zog as a replacement for both Young and Downing well that was never going to happen!

With Heskey you at least know you're getting a player that will give everything for the team, and he suited MON's tactics. So I thought it was a signing that would improve the squad rather then first team, and given Carew's injury problems at the time made sense! Ireland was NEVER going to be a replacement for Milner that was clear to me! Milner was the heartbeat of the team, with him we could have challenge for a champions league place, without him we were lost! Given was a quality keeper still is, if it wasn't for Guzans rise he would still be our no one.  Zog as a replacement for both Young and Downing well that was never going to happen!

Agree with most of that apart from Given, he probably was just about worth the £5mill we paid..just. but the length of contract and salary was a big mistake on our part, he had one season maybe 2 best at top level and it showed in the Euros and especially the Bradford game that he is way past his best now