fear of flying?

Jimzk5

Anyone else got this? Despite being on a plane over a dozen times I absolutely hate the experience, starting from the minute I step foot in the car on the way to the airport, I usually combat this by having half a dozen pints and a couple of shorts before the flight but even then I'm not great, the problem is my next flight leaves early morning and I don't fancy having lager for breakfast, I've been told to see my go about anxiety tablets but I'm thinking about getting a self help book first, so any tips or recomendations?

I'm an uneasy flyer.

I wouldn't say I'm scared of flying. It's not enough to ever stop me from flying anywhere.

But I do get a bit nervous. Once we're in the air I'm fine, it's just take off that I don't like, and landing to an extent.

I couldn't tell you why. I've never had a bad experience or anything, it just makes me nervous.

As I said, it's not bad, it would never be enough fear to make me even think twice about flying. But it's definitely there.

• Like 1

I'm an uneasy flyer.

I wouldn't say I'm scared of flying. It's not enough to ever stop me from flying anywhere.

But I do get a bit nervous. Once we're in the air I'm fine, it's just take off that I don't like, and landing to an extent.

I couldn't tell you why. I've never had a bad experience or anything, it just makes me nervous.

As I said, it's not bad, it would never be enough fear to make me even think twice about flying. But it's definitely there.

Im pretty Much the same, its the take off that's does me the most, once I'm up there I'm fine, but as you say its never stopped me going anywhere

I'm an uneasy flyer.

Im pretty Much the same, its the take off that's does me the most, once I'm up there I'm fine, but as you say its never stopped me going anywhere

Again same, but mine is from a bad experience. Flying back from the Maldives years ago and caught some pretty bad turbulence over the Alps. The seatbelt lights came straight on, stewardesses running for their seat being flung around, people being sick, it wasn't pleasant.

Now every time I feel a bit of turbulence I fear it's starting again.

I'm an uneasy flyer.

No, that's entirely rational. Of the three "parts" of a flight those two are the ones most likely to go belly up, so to speak. Cruising can have some very hairy moments but unless there is structural damage recovering from a good buffeting at 35k feet is much easier and more likely to be successful than trying to get out of the shit 500 feet up on the approach!

Never been worried by flying until we flew Dallo Airlines from Djibouti to Dubai ... Flight was delayed by around 8 hours as it had gone techy  ... the plane was older than me and thus not airworthy over about 24,000 ft ...had bits hanging off it and we basically got shaken about by turbulence the whole journey ..

Come take off we went past the blue markers on the runway  ( they basically signify you are about to run out of runway ) so not sure how close we were to not getting off the ground at all

all round horirble flight  and it's slightly scarred Mrs H29 even to this day

I got my mojo back fairly quickly but for a few days even I was saying "never again" .. until I started planning my next trip and some third world airline came up  :-)

I figure when your time is up your time is up , be it crossing the road  ,  kneed deep in clunge or screaming in a nose diving aeroplane ....  so I just leave it to fate to pick which one

Always been pretty terrified but I drag myself on the plane.  It has eased a bit because I've been on a shit load of flights in the last year.

Had a pretty terrible landing in Milan once but I've always had a fear anyway.  My tip during uneasy times is to looks at the cabin crew.  If they look worried, then time to panic.

• Like 1

I think partly with me its down to the fact i didn't step on a plane until my early 20s, but I've got 10 weeks until my next flight and I'm already thinking about it.

Ive never had a bad flight except for some rough turbulence coming back from marmaris, but other than that nothing, but this thead has shown we are pretty much the same, alrite in the air, shitting it when its taking off

I'm pretty bad. Last time I flew I was convinced I was going to snuff it so I got bought some whiskey and got stuck into it while watching 'Arry Potter. A short while later some stewardess threw a shit-fit claiming I shouldn't be drinking on the plane and having a bottle is bad news etc. I asked her if it was so bad then why did they bloody sell it and then I said it didn't go well with orange juice.

So my advice is don't get hammered. Take a few sleeping pills and hope you wake up.

I don't mind taking off and landing, which is irrational TBH.

I remember when a pilot announced that because the weather was so perfect in Brum that we were gonna switch the automated landing system on and let the plane land itself. Such a massive relief that the outlook was so good they were able to do so.

Concorde was the least worried I've ever been. It was a female pilot and I never felt the wheels touch the ground. An A320 was weird though, the descent felt very electronic and controlled, like there was no pilot finesse, just a height and speed to be at so it kept speeding up and slowing down during the descent much more than than a pilot would.

Oh and for anyone worried about turbulence. You're moving forward through the air at 500mph. For the plane to deviate off it's course by a few feet, or even inches most of the time is completely insignificant compared to how far forward you've travelled in the same amount of time.

I keep telling myself.

I don't mind taking off and landing, which is irrational TBH.

that we were gonna switch the automated landing system on and let the plane land itself.

Concorde was the least worried I've ever been. It was a female pilot and I never felt the wheels touch the ground. An A320 was weird though, the descent felt very electronic and controlled, like there was no pilot finesse, just a height and speed to be at so it kept speeding up and slowing down during the descent much more than than a pilot would.

pretty much all the planes land on auto , it's more fuel efficient to hit the ground with a bit of a bump ... if you get a smooth landing then chances are that was a manual landing

the female Concorde Pilot was probably Sandra , she taught my dad to fly :-)  ..  I had Mike Bannister when i flew Concorde , possibly the most famous pilot on those planes  ?

I'm a terrible flyer,dunno why as I've never had a bad experience,got so worked up about going to Sydney a couple of years ago it was unreal. Took sleeping pills etc nothing worked,not even the onboard cans of larger helped.was awake the whole way there and on the return journey.

I'm a terrible flyer,dunno why as I've never had a bad experience,got so worked up about going to Sydney a couple of years ago it was unreal. Took sleeping pills etc nothing worked,not even the onboard cans of larger helped.was awake the whole way there and on the return journey.

The pills don't necessarily work then? As I said, I get suitably refreshed before bording the plane, but in the 45 minutes from leaving the airport bar to the engines firing up I seem to sober up

The pills don't necessarily work then? As I said, I get suitably refreshed before bording the plane, but in the 45 minutes from leaving the airport bar to the engines firing up I seem to sober up

well the pills didn't work for me but I'm probably the worst flyer around,someone who doesn't get so nervous they might be useful.

Â