fear of flying?

Jimzk5

My mate is also the kind of guy that would DEFINITELY put the plane into some sort of spiralling death dive and pretend that he'd lost control and we were going to die.

I'd put my house on it.

I have never really been scared of flying, I've even done an Air Acrobatics day in a little 2 seater, but flying from BHX to Dubai a couple of weeks ago left me a little shaken;

The turbulence got pretty intense as we flew over Turkey, with a fair few screams and shreaks. It was undoubtedly just par-for-the-course, but having never exeperienced bad turbulence before, it left me a little fearful of flying. It was a little like being on a rollercoaster, and had I not been strapped in, then I'm sure I'd have involuntarily left my seat a few times. You could literally feel the aircraft dropping what felt like hundreds of feet maybe 5 or 6 times every minute, and you were left wondering if the next 'fall' was going to leave the aircraft stalling towards the ground.

Edit: Those looking to overcome their fear should avoid the spoiler (though it's not that bad at all).

Pretty much what happened to me, I think I recounted it in this thread but didn't worry as much about scaring people :)

After it happened I wanted to find out just how bad it actually was on the scale of how much turbulence a plane can stand. Apparently the airframe itself is strong enough to withstand almost anything that the weather can throw at it and the only turbulence related deaths are due to people being thrown against the ceiling so hard that they die from the injuries, which would have needed a lot more violent turbulence than I experienced. I remember screams, people coming out of their seats, people being sick, stewardesses looking worried then running to their seats to get strapped in etc. But I've never experienced anything close to that before or after and I've been on quite a few flights. Just a shame that experience spoiled what I used to love, when apparently pilots know about the bad weather in front of them but choose to fly through due to fuel costs.

I have never really been scared of flying, I've even done an Air Acrobatics day in a little 2 seater, but flying from BHX to Dubai a couple of weeks ago left me a little shaken;

The turbulence got pretty intense as we flew over Turkey, with a fair few screams and shreaks. It was undoubtedly just par-for-the-course, but having never exeperienced bad turbulence before, it left me a little fearful of flying. It was a little like being on a rollercoaster, and had I not been strapped in, then I'm sure I'd have involuntarily left my seat a few times. You could literally feel the aircraft dropping what felt like hundreds of feet maybe 5 or 6 times every minute, and you were left wondering if the next 'fall' was going to leave the aircraft stalling towards the ground.

Edit: Those looking to overcome their fear should avoid the spoiler (though it's not that bad at all).

Pretty much what happened to me, I think I recounted it in this thread but didn't worry as much about scaring people :)

After it happened I wanted to find out just how bad it actually was on the scale of how much turbulence a plane can stand. Apparently the airframe itself is strong enough to withstand almost anything that the weather can throw at it and the only turbulence related deaths are due to people being thrown against the ceiling so hard that they die from the injuries, which would have needed a lot more violent turbulence than I experienced. I remember screams, people coming out of their seats, people being sick, stewardesses looking worried then running to their seats to get strapped in etc. But I've never experienced anything close to that before or after and I've been on quite a few flights. Just a shame that experience spoiled what I used to love, when apparently pilots know about the bad weather in front of them but choose to fly through due to fuel costs.

Yeah that's pretty much what we experienced.

Having sat through about half an hour of moderate turbulence an announcement came from the captain asking that the steward(esses) went and strapped themselves in... and then it began.

As you say, the pilots know full well that it's coming and do little to avoid it. Bastards.

• 2 weeks later...
Â