"Nobody move, this a robbery!"

Awol

I read somewhere that the BFC (British Forces Cyprus) will be hit by this because IIRC we were "encouraged" to open Cypriot bank accounts upon landing on the island . It shouldn't be too bad as I imagine a serviceman is only really ever going to have a months wages in that account and apparently the MOD is going to reimburse whatever is taken . I may have just dreamt this however as I did eat a tonne of cheese on toast right before bed last night.

You weren't hallucinating, squaddies and other gov employees in Cyprus will be covered by UK PLC. The other 60,000 ex-pats will just have to suck it up. That said it's seemingly all changing by the minute and I don't think they'll get the vote through Parliament later.

I read somewhere that the BFC (British Forces Cyprus) will be hit by this because IIRC we were "encouraged" to open Cypriot bank accounts upon landing on the island . It shouldn't be too bad as I imagine a serviceman is only really ever going to have a months wages in that account and apparently the MOD is going to reimburse whatever is taken . I may have just dreamt this however as I did eat a tonne of cheese on toast right before bed last night.

You weren't hallucinating, squaddies and other gov employees in Cyprus will be covered by UK PLC. The other 60,000 ex-pats will just have to suck it up. That said it's seemingly all changing by the minute and I don't think they'll get the vote through Parliament later.

Talk before was that even the President was going to vote against it

Is anyone quite sure this is true?

Treasury says one thing, Gideon says another, no plans in place yet. Someone's making it up as he goes along - no shock there then

The proposal has been voted down. Interesting to see where this goes now.

The banks will collapse and people could be in for a far bigger haircut than 6.75% or 9.9%. That's unless someone steps in to prop up the banks - Russians ??

Treasury says one thing, Gideon says another, no plans in place yet. Someone's making it up as he goes along - no shock there then

If it ain't true someone just had it on their toes with €1mn and a RAF plane Edited by tonyh29

If it ain't true someone just had it on their toes with €1mn and a RAF plane

Nope that million Euros is an entirely different packet of money, it is to loan to service personal who can't access their accounts as the ATMs have run out of cash, nothing to do with any compensation for money taxed from accounts. They won't need to send a plane to compensate people, that will be done electronically when the banks open again. I'll also wager its about as close to a million euros as KLF got to burning a million quid. Convenient headline grabbing amount dontcha think? A sum based on headlines not need methinks, yet more evidence of horses foot policy

The banks will collapse and people could be in for a far bigger haircut than 6.75% or 9.9%. That's unless someone steps in to prop up the banks - Russians ??

Yes, I suspect they may well be wishing they had only had to take a 6% haircut before this is finished.

Their accounts are insured by the Feds

You mean like the first 100,000 euros are guaranteed by the ECB?

I think I spotted a flaw in that logic ;-)

To be fair, FDIC generally works (something like 50 bank failures in the US last year).

Â