Driving into Europe from England

b23avfc

I've been daydreaming of driving into Europe.. Aka Spain, this time Basque Country and possibly to Segovia/Salamanca... And another trip to tour Ireland.

I figure if I get a deal on a ferry with a car, for example to Dover to Calais return day trip is £23 on special.. Without doing the return leg ;)

Or there's 64 return after Cashback with another deal. I've yet to see any decent prices for getting over Ireland though.

Just looking for advice! My car is a small diesel and does up to 78mpg. So although flying and hiring is often cheaper and quicker, I'm thinking it may be fun...

I've been daydreaming of driving into Europe.. Aka Spain, this time Basque Country and possibly to Segovia/Salamanca... And another trip to tour Ireland.

I figure if I get a deal on a ferry with a car, for example to Dover to Calais return day trip is £23 on special.. Without doing the return leg ;)

Or there's 64 return after Cashback with another deal. I've yet to see any decent prices for getting over Ireland though.

Just looking for advice! My car is a small diesel and does up to 78mpg. So although flying and hiring is often cheaper and quicker, I'm thinking it may be fun...

If you're going to Spain would it not make more sense to take a Ferry into Santander?

The motorways in Spain are all privately owned I think, there are toll booths every 20km that charge you to use them. A rep from Thomas cook told me that last time I was there last September.

Ze French rozzers will be looking out for you if you have an English number plate   , easy money for them  ... they give you a piece of paper translated into English that says if you don't pay the fine on the spot they have the right to confiscate your car   ...

check the European laws as well , i believe for France you needs to have a Hi Vis jacket , first Aid kit , Warning triangle and breath test kit !! .. not sure if cars still need those headlight stickers that change your headlights from RH drive to Left  ??

no idea about Spain but getting through France without wanting to go postal will be your first task

I've driven in espana a lot too but with hire cars collected at the airport.

The issue I see is a 14 hour drive to Spain wipes you out for a few days - wasted holiday time.

Seriously flights are so cheap now as are hire cars I just don't get why you'd drive

I've driven in espana a lot too but with hire cars collected at the airport.

The issue I see is a 14 hour drive to Spain wipes you out for a few days - wasted holiday time.

Seriously flights are so cheap now as are hire cars I just don't get why you'd drive

I've  been to Spain around 14 times, I'm not sure but it just seems a road trip style adventure.

Worth doing if you use the N roads and D roads, and take your time.  Lots of great areas to wander through.  Best is to have no fixed plans, so you have an idea of the rough route but can spend longer anywhere you like or change as you see fit.

Not worth doing if you just plough down the autoroute.  That's just tiring.

Guide to roads here.

I wouldn't bother with Spain, though, if you only have a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

I've been to Ireland literally dozens of times alone and with my family. We nearly always take the ferry and drive rather than fly and hire.

Obviously depends on where you go as to how good of a time you'll have, but you'll have no problem driving around. Travel isn't exactly quick by road (compared to over here) as most roads are small, but that won' matter if you're out to enjoy the trip.

Ze French rozzers will be looking out for you if you have an English number plate   , easy money for them  ... they give you a piece of paper translated into English that says if you don't pay the fine on the spot they have the right to confiscate your car   ...

check the European laws as well , i believe for France you needs to have a Hi Vis jacket , first Aid kit , Warning triangle and breath test kit !! .. not sure if cars still need those headlight stickers that change your headlights from RH drive to Left  ??

no idea about Spain but getting through France without wanting to go postal will be your first task

I've driven right down to the south of France a few times with English number plates (including in a graffiti covered van) and never had any problems. You will need to check the rules on what you have to carry, I think spare light bulbs are also compulsory. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm driving to Paris in the summer.

Train across the channel is £90 return - but turns out it's free if your missus has been secretly collecting Tesco points!

Long shot, but well worth looking at the old tesco vouchers, £30 of vouchers will get you a free car and family return train.

I'm going to take the car into Paris and around roundabouts, just for the lolz as the yoot would say.

French speed cameras are not bright yellow and its illegal to have a camera detector. So this is where cruise control and speed limiters come into their own I guess.

breath alchohol testers that are French legal are only a couple of quid on the counter in halfords.

French speed cameras are not bright yellow and its illegal to have a camera detector. So this is where cruise control and speed limiters come into their own I guess.

They'll be low down, pretty much on the ground and grey. Still spotable if you keep your eyes open and they do have warning signs. (Unlike us, when you see warning signs there normally is a camera somewhere). 

I've driven right down to the south of France a few times with English number plates (including in a graffiti covered van) and never had any problems. You will need to check the rules on what you have to carry, I think spare light bulbs are also compulsory. 

#1 tip for driving in France. Wear a Scotland football or rugby jersey. I've been stopped four times around or south of Bordeaux (a trip I used to do regularly) and only had one ticket. All four times I was bang-to-rights and the only time I actually got done was when I wasn't advertising my nationality.

#1 tip for driving in France. Wear a Scotland football or rugby jersey. I've been stopped four times around or south of Bordeaux (a trip I used to do regularly) and only had one ticket. All four times I was bang-to-rights and the only time I actually got done was when I wasn't advertising my nationality.

They do love the auld alliance! But in truth, and in spite of what some would like to believe, once you get away from Paris most French people actually quite like the English as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

breath alchohol testers that are French legal are only a couple of quid on the counter in halfords.

Breath alcohol testers must be French manufactured though. They sell them at the AA shop at the Channel Tunnel departure area.

Â