The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

39 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'd want to try one in a shop before buying. My daughter has a 6 string Epiphone Hummingbird, which looks nice, but is pretty mediocre for playing and sound. Admittedly that was an earlier model than the 'Inspired by Gibson' range, which do get good reviews. I'm happy with my Seagull Coastliner 12 string that I picked up secondhand for £250 (they go for about £500 new). Only downside is that it's purely acoustic - is the Hummingbird an electro? 

oh I'd 100% try it before I bought it, the only guitar I have took a punt on without playing was my backpacker (which I don't even class as a proper guitar even thought it was around £300) I've read that the "inspired by Gibson" range is a massive upgrade on the older models.

Its the only one that has caught my eye so far but as I say it'll be a few months yet so I'm in no rush.

Where do you find your second hand gear? do you just get them online or do you have a certain shop that you go to? most of the guitar shops I look at have second hand ones for extortionate prices.

59 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

oh I'd 100% try it before I bought it, the only guitar I have took a punt on without playing was my backpacker (which I don't even class as a proper guitar even thought it was around £300) I've read that the "inspired by Gibson" range is a massive upgrade on the older models.

Its the only one that has caught my eye so far but as I say it'll be a few months yet so I'm in no rush.

Where do you find your second hand gear? do you just get them online or do you have a certain shop that you go to? most of the guitar shops I look at have second hand ones for extortionate prices.

I don't very often buy seconhand tbh, but the Seagull 12 I saw in an online ad (think it may have been on eBay) from a shop in Brighton, and thought it was worth a punt at that price. I already had a Seagull 6 string that I loved, so I trusted the build quality. 

My only other s/h guitar is my Telecaster, and I bought that off a mate, having borrowed it to try out for a couple of weeks. 

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

Hudson Broadcast clone?

There's an extra pot and it's the lad's first build. Straight into germanium is pretty deep too.

I'm guessing unlikely :)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Xann said:

Recommend electric guitarists and bassists watch this. Particularly if you're thinking of buying a new instrument?

Yeah, I've seen that, and I agree. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's not yours truly releasing his first single, but one of my offspring and his band. He's the drummer and does backing vocals, can be heard during the last notes of the song.

Some growling metal coming up! Please support them with a like if you have Spotify/Tidal

Yes, I'm a bit proud :D

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Took delivery of this the other day. Ibanez AZ2402 Prestige. 

spacer.png

Phenomenal instrument. First time I've played a high-end Ibanez (I had a more budget friendly ORM1 back in the day). Absolute joy to play and the craftsmanship is top notch. Not had chance to plug it in yet, so looking forward to giving it a proper blast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoshVilla said:

Took delivery of this the other day. Ibanez AZ2402 Prestige. 

spacer.png

Phenomenal instrument. First time I've played a high-end Ibanez (I had a more budget friendly ORM1 back in the day). Absolute joy to play and the craftsmanship is top notch. Not had chance to plug it in yet, so looking forward to giving it a proper blast.

Left hander? Must be annoying to have a more limited choice of guitars than us righties. 

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Left hander? Must be annoying to have a more limited choice of guitars than us righties. 

Yeah its a right pain in the arse. The most annoying thing is not being able to try before you buy, since a lot of companies don't stock a huge range actually in store. I end up having to do lots of research and then buy it online and hope that I'm gonna like how it feels.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a decent-ish resonator guitar (a roundneck for fingerstyle playing) at a reasonable price? Like around £500 or ideally less?

Screenshot_2022-06-09-17-29-32-25_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Thanks 1

I have the electro-acoustic version. As to whether it's any good, well I like it, but I've never played another resonator, so I have nothing to compare it to. 

Screenshot_2022-06-09-17-32-13-27_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JoshVilla said:

Yeah its a right pain in the arse. The most annoying thing is not being able to try before you buy, since a lot of companies don't stock a huge range actually in store. I end up having to do lots of research and then buy it online and hope that I'm gonna like how it feels.

I didn't realise that it was a left hander, I was going to tell you that it looked pretty shit and that as a favour to you I'd swap it for my Epiphone Les Paul...as its a left hander though unfortunately you are stuck with it

• Haha 1

Has anyone got any opinions on the Fender Players vs Players Plus?

I did have my eye on a 12 string but the one that I really wanted to look at is out of stock everywhere and I really can't be arsed waiting months on end like I have had to for my last 3 guitars.

So I'm turning my attention to the Telecaster, the Player is around £550/£600 and the Player Plus is around £800/£850, I've had a look online and I really like the look of the push pull tone control to give it that meatier almost humbucker sound which I think I would use quite a bit and I like the sound of the noiseless pickups, the locking machineheads don't bother me and I couldn't really comment on the fingerboard width although the rolled edges appeal to me.

Ultimately though, is it worth the extra money, I've looked at all of the reviews online and they all say that "yes" its worth the extra, I'm just not sure that for me sitting in my living room playing on my own it'll make much of a difference.

Whereas with an acoustic I can go into a guitar shop and play away to my hearts content I always get a bit of stage fright when it comes to trying out electrics because I'm pretty shit on them.

8 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I'm just not sure that for me sitting in my living room playing on my own it'll make much of a difference.

Buy the more expensive one. You'll soon convince yourself it was the right choice! And it'll probably appreciate in value. 

That said, I tend to buy cheap, because I don't think I 'deserve' top-of-the-range instruments, I think they should go to 'proper' musicians. Most I've ever spent is £500 on a s/h USA Telecaster. I'd love a Les Paul or a 335, but I'd feel like a fraud. 

Does anyone else own a guitar from their birth year?

I have two acoustics from 1971, both Japanese Martin rip-offs (a.k.a. Lawsuit guitars lol), one 6 string and one 12.

It's the best acoustic in terms of sound, and playability, even though it only cost 250 quid (compared to a 1971 Martin, you can see why i went for the cheaper option!).

• Like 1

Â