The Randy Lerner thread

CI

From a footballing point of view things were great for a while there weren't they, there was no need to panic. The club was on track for the top and a champions league spot looked all but inevitable for a time. We even deemed ourselves to be in a title race one Christmas, why wouldn't they back their man?

Your man too as I seem to recall...

I'm not saying he shouldn't have been backed but it should have been done in a much more controlled way with a clear plan. What we did was spend a shit load hoping for champions league. I'm still not convinced qualifying for the champions league would have solved all our issues.

they've actually done an excellent job returning the club to balance.

I can't agree with this at all.

Towards the end of the MoN era was when the returning to balance needed to start.

We spent 2 years wasting more money on similar players, spent £16 million on managerial compensations and started to lose money with low attendances and low league finishes. How is that excellent?

They then hit the brakes hard under lambert and gambled big time with the long term future of the club. Again I find it hard to see this as excellent.

We've had 3 consecutive regation worried seasons. We've just had two consecutive seasons with our lowest two premiership point totals.

Randy Lerner has done a piss poor job up to now.

I'm still not convinced qualifying for the champions league would have solved all our issues.

No one component would have solved all our issues.... but hey john ..our Hoof ball  style would have lasted 5 minutes in the champions league ( said with a typical Simon Cowell style snigger) so thats hypothetical in my view.

We now have a manager that resembles something that knows what he's doing.

just can't wait for him to break out of the 12 month jungle so we can appreciate him properly....first 12 months with managers can be hit or miss.

the one we talk about had 4 years.

No, it is a commonly repeated rumour. That doesn't make it fact, unless this has been confirmed somewhere by McLeish?

Yet McLeish at the time didn't quit, didn't claim constructive dismissal, didn't walk claiming differences of transfer strategy like he did at Forest. Instead he came out with quotes like this

"He's been on the radar for a couple of years now but I think perhaps the price put people off before," said boss McLeish. "We think we've got him for a decent price.

"He's got several attributes - he can take the ball and he's got very good control.

"I've seen him at Santander and with the national team and bits of footage from Valencia and always been impressed with him.

"He's not someone who's come from nowhere, he's got a bit of pedigree and we believe he can make a big impact in England."

And yes Randy has backed his managers, the problem is the that two of the three he actually appointed (he may have had a hand in O'Neill's arrival but didn't appoint him) have been horrible appointments.

No, it is a commonly repeated rumour. That doesn't make it fact, unless this has been confirmed somewhere by McLeish?

And yes Randy has backed his managers, the problem is the that two of the three he actually appointed (he may have had a hand in O'Neill's arrival but didn't appoint him) have been horrible appointments.

Commonly repeated 100% fact, confirmed from inside the club. Of course choosing not to believe is another matter.

Commonly repeated 100% fact, confirmed from inside the club. Of course choosing not to believe is another matter.

Do you have a link to this 100% fact confirmed from inside the club? 

Or any quotes from McLeish?

Plenty of things get repeated on here with supposed ITK backing, doesn't make them true though.

• Like 1

Do you have a link to this 100% fact confirmed from inside the club? 

Or any quotes from McLeish?

Plenty of things get repeated on here with supposed ITK backing, doesn't make them true though.

Nope. Not everything gets published on the internet, but there are some posters on here who only post facts.

It's a bit like Doug Ellis telling people that O'Neill was sacked, only for he club to pay him (O'Neill) compensation several months later.

If Brian Clough was alive today, I'm sure he would agree. as he had a dim view of club chairmen( bless him) except for providing funds. He said they had no idea, seems our owner was at least consistent with Brians view of all of them.

Managers make successful football Clubs.

If you cite the great ones Shankly, Revie, Ferguson, Mourinho, Paisley,Saunders,Kendall

There is not many football pundits that can remember the great contribution from the Chairman and in some cases like Mourinho at porto , would anyone know who they was.

In my view, Randy Lerner get the blame from fans who have never come to terms that Martin O'Neill was not the messiah they always thought he was....and he wasn't the Brian Clough he thought he was.

Edited by TRO

Ah so it's just an Internet rumour with no actual substance, sorry when you said 100% confirmed fact it was actually more than a frequently repeated Internet rumour.

I thought i said that not everything gets published on the internet.

As i say, some posters contribute fact on here, something that I know can be difficult to get over.

Ah so it's just an Internet rumour with no actual substance, sorry when you said 100% confirmed fact it was actually more than a frequently repeated Internet rumour.

I thought i said that not everything gets published on the internet.

As i say, some posters contribute fact on here, something that I know can be difficult to get over.

Yes you did but it doesn't carry any more weight for saying it again.

....so on the back of losing a longstanding Manager due to implimenting an austerity programme. that he was criticised for not implimenting before, he now makes a mistake appointing 2 managers that each had 12 months to operate in.

one's contract was terminated through ill health and one presumably through lack of ability to make an improving impact, not to mention the unpopularity factor....must admit find it hard to defend Randy on that one, must have been on the juice the night before.

Martin Edwards running arguably one of the biggest clubs in world football appoints Docherty,Frank O'Farrell and Wilf McGuinnes, didn't exactly cover himself in glory with Atkinson either in comparison to what the next manager did.In relative terms that club won nothing for 25 years.... did he get the criticism Randy gets....NO

It happens

Randy signed 2 ify managers .....Martin O'Neill signed about 35 pigs in pokes. Some of the players he signed. I thought he hadn't received his pay slip and was just spiteing the club, they were horrendous.

you can cut a bit of slack to a few mistakes an avalanche is less likely to gain much sympathy.

Edited by TRO

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Lerner gambled on McLeish as a smokescreen... He knew he was looking to cut costs and thought 'put someone in charge that will take the flak off of me for a bit'? What better person to throw under the bus than someone nobody likes with a face his family would struggle to love who managed our bitterest rivals and relegated them twice?

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Lerner gambled on McLeish as a smokescreen... He knew he was looking to cut costs and thought 'put someone in charge that will take the flak off of me for a bit'? What better person to throw under the bus than someone nobody likes with a face his family would struggle to love who managed our bitterest rivals and relegated them twice?

It could be this way, but I'm not convinced. After missing out on Martinez, McLeish was one of the few that met the criteria (PL experience) that was willing to come here.

I put McLeish down as a mistake rather than a smokescreen. A costly mistake that Randy, really, should NOT have made.

I think ultimately Lerner's well intentioned as an owner and cares, so if that's true, eventually things will go right. For instance, I think he understood that he doesn't know soccer/football, so he decided he'd give his manager control, a reasonable decision and one that he'd get ripped for not making. It's not his fault that MON was awful in the signing of players. The only thing that really jumps out as bad to me is Mcleish, as I have no clue what he was thinking.

• Like 1

I think ultimately Lerner's well intentioned as an owner and cares, so if that's true, eventually things will go right. For instance, I think he understood that he doesn't know soccer/football, so he decided he'd give his manager control, a reasonable decision and one that he'd get ripped for not making. It's not his fault that MON was awful in the signing of players. The only thing that really jumps out as bad to me is Mcleish, as I have no clue what he was thinking.

You're a Blackburn supporter right?

Finally a non-Villa fan who gets it. Much appreciated.

Lerner appointed a man with a poor managerial track record who's record signing was Nicola Zigic and then allowed him to spend a fair amount of money when we didn't have a great deal.

It is well known and understood in the Birmingham area that McLeish was surprised when the Birmingham board signed Zigic. He had absolutely no knowledge that it was happening.

Randy Lerner has backed all of his managers with substantial funding. The only one who appears to have spent wisely is the current manager.

Any idiot with money can spend it.

Unfortunately for us and the browns it takes more than the ability to spend your money to run a successful team.

Oh well, he's not Doug and he tried seems to be the defence of him.

You're a Blackburn supporter right?

Finally a non-Villa fan who gets it. Much appreciated.

Gets what?

That we've gone backwards as a club. Had three consecutive regation battles and two consecutive lowest prem point totals.

What an owner eh?

Â