The Randy Lerner thread

CI

But with the exception of Chelsea, Man City and QPR they are working within the constraints of a sensible wage structure.

Liverpool are slowly removing the big earners like Joe Cole.

All have reduced the amount they spend on Transfers, and are obviously acutely aware that the wage to turnover ratio must be reduced.

Yes of course but you could also say that is due to the loss of the Champions League revenue.

Ask yourself this If we had the same owners as Liverpool and were in the same situation would our solution be the same as it currently appears

Yes of course but you could also say that is due to the loss of the Champions League revenue.

Ask yourself this If we had the same owners as Liverpool and were in the same situation would our solution be the same as it currently appears

I believe their board and ours are already following the same path.

I think if RL does not spend the money required to get at least 1 CD and 1 DM into the club before the transfer window closes, then we can question his position, as without those two players i think we're as good as relegated.

I'd like to see more money made available, of course i would, but as the football club is a business, the board by now would quite rightly be looking at every scenario and trying to secure the future of AVFC in the case that god forbid we are relegated. The most important thing for me is that AVFC still exists after RL.

That's debatable. The were players who are employed by a Premier League club, but that's as far as it goes for some of them.

true, but when you look at the best players at the club, you would not expect us to be in relegation trouble.

Given/Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Dunne Warnock/Bennett

KEA Delph/Bannan Ireland

Weimann Gabby

Bent/Benteke

Admittedly we lack steel in midfield, but Lambert has to take the blame for not addressing that in the summer.

true, but when you look at the best players at the club, you would not expect us to be in relegation trouble.

Given/Guzan

KEA Delph/Bannan Ireland

Weimann Gabby

Bent/Benteke

Admittedly we lack steel in midfield, but Lambert has to take the blame for not addressing that in the summer.

To be honest I'd say that team is pretty weak. Think that team would struggle to beat any Villa team from the last 30 years.

You can't blame Lambert for the fact that Dunne and Bent have been injured on and off for almost a year, and similarly Vlaar has missed a chunk of games too.

Warnock has been in steady decline for nearly 3 years. Ireland had one good season, playing alongside Robinho, and seems to have gone into semi-retirement when Manchester City awarded him a ridiculous pay rise.

The others he's inherited are, by and large, pony.

To be honest I'd say that team is pretty weak. Think that team would struggle to beat any Villa team from the last 30 years.

Fair enough, it's all about opinions, personally i don't think it's a great team, i just don't think it's a team that should not be in relegation trouble (assuming they were all performing as they can).

Edited by dukes

You can't blame Lambert for the fact that Dunne and Bent have been injured on and off for almost a year, and similarly Vlaar has missed a chunk of games too.

Warnock has been in steady decline for nearly 3 years. Ireland had one good season, playing alongside Robinho, and seems to have gone into semi-retirement when Manchester City awarded him a ridiculous pay rise.

The others he's inherited are, by and large, pony.

No, i wasn't blaming Lambert for that, although he is to blame for not ensuring there was sufficient cover (he could for example have made do with Warnock and Hutton, and spent the fullback money on a centre back and he could have not bought KEA and bought in a killer DM).

I posted this in another thread but as it is primarily about Randy Lerner i think it should be here also.....

In my opinion the rot started back in 2007 and had fully set in by January 2008. Things were very rosy on the playing side but off the field it wasn't so good - there was no business planning or financial controls. The then CEO was a very accomplished guy; Richard Fitzgerald. Prior to Aston Villa, FitzGerald worked for 18 years in various senior roles at IMG. They included chief operating officer and head of New Media of TWI, the world’s largest independent producer and distributor of sports TV programmes. In other words he had experience and a great track record as a senior executive. However in January 2008, after just 13 months at Villa, having been appointed on merit etc, he suddenly "resigned". I was told by someone who was definitely ITK at the time, that Fitzgerald was trying to bring in proper business planning and financial controls. However MON saw it as "interference" - Lerner agreed, Fitzgerald "resigned" with immediate effect receiving £775,000 in compensation.

FitzGerald on leaving Villa for several months worked as a consultant to the owners of Manchester City FC. In August 2008 he was appointed as CEO for Racing UK where he is still now.

Lets be clear, Lerner needed a commercial guy like Fitzgerald for business & financial planning, as he didn't (still doesn't) have this experience himself or the neccessary business skills. He should have had a joined up plan that forecast various outcomes however.....

He decided to wing it and hope that MON could achieve CL qualification. He had no Plan B if the gamble failed.

As late as April 2010 in an interview with The Independent he said:

"The way Martin [O'Neill] has developed the team, though – and the investment we've made in our training ground – should give us an honest shot at competing."

Very shortly after we were out of the FA Cup and had failed to achieve a CL place. In May Lerner appointed the 32 year old (then) Paul Faulkner, the former MBNA Relationship Manager, who described himself as a "football geek" but had no experience as a senior board level executive or track record that merited his appointment other than being someone of whom Lerner said:

""Paul was someone I could talk to about ideas and who could then go about putting those ideas into action," says Lerner. "He enjoyed the abstract: thinking about how to grow and how to develop a culture within a business."

So he made him boss of his plaything Aston Villa FC and then reputedly MON was informed that Faulkner would work with him on future player financial dealings, setting budgets and negotiating fees and salaries. And that players had to be sold but that only a limited amount of the proceeds could be used for player purchases. The rest is history; MON walked claiming constructively dismissal due to breach of contract and was paid a sizeable amount of compensation.

If you believe it was MON irresponsible spending, in reality it was all about the monetary controls or lack of them which was all down to Lerner. With hindsight he realised Fitzgerald was right but it was too late and he had blown hundreds of millions!

We are now suffering because Lerner had loads of money but not enough and BECAUSE he had absolutely NO business acumen.

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 4

Given/Guzan

KEA Delph/Bannan Ireland

Weimann Gabby

Bent/Benteke

When Delph is a first team player, you have to worry about your team.

When Delph is a first team player, you have to worry about your team.

True enough, i forgot about Westwood, who would of course be in ahead of Delph and Bannan

I never said the team should be challenging for Europe, just that it shouldn't be as close to relegation.

Edited by dukes

Great Post Mike again shows that Lerner just isn't too savy or that he puts FAR to much trust in the managers

Any looks like he is going back to the well to help us out

http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

Oh, I like this! :) Somebody has woken up from their slumber it seems!

Edited by LockStockVilla

Great post Mike. You also missed out Michael Cunnah, another guy with superb top level experience in the industry who came and went.

Makes you wonder why...

Yes I forgot him! Given his prior experience it really does make you think; CFO of The FA, CEO of Wembley!!

On paper we had two very accomplished execs yet both lasted around a year, which further illustrates the incompetence of Lerner and maybe the power he entrusted in MON.

However I still do not blame Faulkner. If as a 32 year old I was offered the role of CEO of AVFC I would have jumped at it.

The responsibility lies fair and square with Lerner. Which brings to mind the saying;

"A rich fool and his money are soon parted."

Sadly he f****d our club in the process!

Edited by MikeMcKenna

I think there are quite a few people out there that the club would be very smart to bring onto the board in some capacity, such as Brian Little, John Gregory, Graham Taylor, that could really help in terms of bringing more football nous. For example, Gregory would be excellent to bring in and use as almost the figurehead for the entire board. It is just blatantly obvious the footballing know how isn't there and is what hurts us.

Â