The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Whatever happened to the dream team? Lerner the 'model' owner who empowered an outstanding manager in the shape of MON and better still we had a director of the club in the shape of the General actually talking to the fans. It all seems a very long time ago.
Well MON was never an outstanding manager and thus by allowing him to have so much control Randy made a big mistake.

Yes things were so much worse then. :shock:

All that vying for Top 4, beating Man U Arsenal Liverpool away and regularly hammering Blues, not to mention the Cup runs.

Awful times.

Whatever happened to the dream team? Lerner the 'model' owner who empowered an outstanding manager in the shape of MON and better still we had a director of the club in the shape of the General actually talking to the fans. It all seems a very long time ago.

The obvious answer - he got bored.

I still actually think Randy could be a good owner - he stays in the background and lets people get on with it. I do think we need a more enterprising football minded CEO.

However Randy seems conent with Faulkner.

Well MON was never an outstanding manager and thus by allowing him to have so much control Randy made a big mistake.

Yes things were so much worse then. :shock:

All that vying for Top 4, beating Man U Arsenal Liverpool away and regularly hammering Blues, not to mention the Cup runs.

Awful times.

I never said that though. :? All I said that was because MON was never an outstanding manager and had some big flaws, this little project where Randy gives him complete control was always destined to crash and burn.

With the money he was given, MON totally underachieved Hence the reason no top club wants him

Rubbish. The figures speak for themselves, he spent what he did and we were pushing fourth - and not lower than 6th. Since then we are a nowhere Club who will be lucky to stay in the PL. One day - if we are very very lucky - we might get someone else who will 'underacheive' to that extent - but I doubt it.

With the money he was given, MON totally underachieved Hence the reason no top club wants him

Rubbish. The figures speak for themselves, he spent what he did and we were pushing fourth - and not lower than 6th. Since then we are a nowhere Club who will be lucky to stay in the PL. One day - if we are very very lucky - we might get someone else who will 'underacheive' to that extent - but I doubt it.

With the money he spent, 6th is hardly an achievement, especially when you consider Everton would regularly finish above us despite their obvious financial difficulties.

With the money he spent, 6th is hardly an achievement, especially when you consider Everton would regularly finish above us despite their obvious financial difficulties.

Where are we now ? Say what you like and criticise but we hadn't done as well as regularly before and we certainly aren't now.

Where are we now ? Say what you like and criticise but we hadn't done as well as regularly before and we certainly aren't now.

Just because we're not doing so well now doesn't suddenly make him a good manager.

Given their respective starting positions when Randy/Mon came in I don't think we ever spent enough to expect to finish above Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool.

In 07/08 we finished 6th behind the long established top 4 and Everton. It could therefore be argued we slightly underachieved and should have finished 5th. In 08/09 it was exactly the same - 6th behind the established top 4 and Everton and perhaps even more so it could be argued we underachieved and should have finished 5th. In 09/10 we again finished 6th behind Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Man City. Now it could be argued, like Man City, that we should have finished above Spurs. By the same token it could be argued we should however not have finished above Liverpool so 6th was spot on in 09/10 especially given we also had two excellent cup runs.

Man City have shown the sums it takes to break in to the top 4 and stay there. We were never in that ball park. What we could have done had we over achieved was perhaps had a one season affair with the top 4 as Everton and Spurs have done in reason times.

3 top 6 finishes on the spin wasn't bad. It was something we hadn't achieved in over 50 years. As sad as it sounds we may look back on that spell between 2007 and 2010 in years to come and see it as a relatively successful spell because the way we have been heading over the last 16 months suggests it will be along time before we are once again finishing top 6 and competing for top 4 with a couple of games to go.

When MON was getting us 6th place finishes we had the 6th highest wage bill and were spending money to bring in good players. Credit to him for getting us to reflect our spend but he didn't do anything spectacular.

Now we have cut back on wages and net transfer spend and our position has dropped. Unfortunately you get what you pay for in this league.

No one's arguing that it wasn't a fairly good time, but given the money spent, we should have done more.

The money we spent was never enough to say we should have finished above the sky 4 or man city who started spending big the same summer randy first spent money.

Just because we're not doing so well now doesn't suddenly make him a good manager.

How much money did City spend before they managed to qualify for the Champions League? Bare in mind they started off with a much better squad than we had too as well being a more attractive prospect for players to join too. Think half of our fanbase underestimate how difficult it was to crack the top 4 at that time, just as Lerner did.

Wonder if he will be a viewer at Wembley tonight.

That would be a kick in the balls if he was there in person

Has he attended a villa game this season yet ?

And the point is exactly.

I think you'll find Sheik Mansoor has only ever gone to one Man City game - what the hell does it matter !.

Randy Lerner is a businessman - not a fan, a businessman. he owns a business. I was watching Dragons Den last week and it said Peter Jones owns 20 odd companies outright, and is shareholder in over 100 more.

Do you think he visits every one of them every week - or does he just employ people to run them for him ?

Â