The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Had a very interesting chat with a guy at the emirates on saturday, regarding, lerner/takeover/MON. So thought I'd share.

He works at the villa and has done for a few yrs. His take on things.

The Lerner / MON breakdown

All started with Heskey. Lerner was furious with this signing and that's when the fall out began.

Lerner had said to MON here's the money, buy who you want but I'd prefer them to be of an age that will keep them at the club and build with them.

The Takeover

The prince that came to villa park is a good friend of lerners, but has been coming to the club for about two yrs. He is interestd in buying the club, but wants to wait for the right time. It's a matter of when not if he buys the club.

The thing I found interesting was the trip to the clevelands lerner organised. Apparently it was a way for him to get rid of everyone for a few days, so the prince and his team could look around the club and training ground without anyone from the first team being there.

Just sharing, so dont pull me to pieces over it.

So the ITK brigade is on here to ?? Why on earth would he wait 2 years ? And right now I dont think Villa is an attractive proposition for anyone no matter how rich they are...

Shouldn't you be off reading about one of your other teams??

What brigade are you part of?? care about the villa when they are back in the top half of the table brigade?

Why wouldnt an ever present top flight club in the heart of the country, with stadium and training facilities in place not be an attractive opposition?

Had a very interesting chat with a guy at the emirates on saturday, regarding, lerner/takeover/MON. So thought I'd share.

He works at the villa and has done for a few yrs. His take on things.

All started with Heskey. Lerner was furious with this signing and that's when the fall out began.

Lerner had said to MON here's the money, buy who you want but I'd prefer them to be of an age that will keep them at the club and build with them.

The Takeover

The prince that came to villa park is a good friend of lerners, but has been coming to the club for about two yrs. He is interestd in buying the club, but wants to wait for the right time. It's a matter of when not if he buys the club.

The thing I found interesting was the trip to the clevelands lerner organised. Apparently it was a way for him to get rid of everyone for a few days, so the prince and his team could look around the club and training ground without anyone from the first team being there.

Just sharing, so dont pull me to pieces over it.

There's nothing there that matches up with either Lerner's modus operandi, or events surrounding the visit of 'a prince'

People who are genuinely 'in the know' don't tend to blab so freely, particularly to strangers.

The person concerned probably does work at the Villa in some capacity, and probably gets all of his 'inside info' from VT or H&V, putting him firmly in fantasyland :winkold:

@villan_007 Because we are a club on the way down.You buy a club that is on the way up.

Do you? where is that stated?

We were not on the up when lerner took over

But Lerner has already proved how silly he is ?!

really dont blame him being furious

He's only got himself to blame, continuing to back a man who bought Marlon **** Harewood.

Long LONG time no see.

:shock:

Turns out spending money isn't going to make everything better - you might just spend vast sums on Harewood, Heskey and that thug Hutton.

I've been away, I'm going away again. But ... but ... whilst there is a ripple of vindication running through my fingers ... dear CHRIST we're tedious this season.

THIS !!

We made our ambitions clear by signing the oaf !!! No wonder Lerner was **** off.

Arsenal made their ambitions clear by signing Arshavin (He was good at the time and it got them the champs football)

I,d have MON back here in an instant....

He's only got himself to blame, continuing to back a man who bought Marlon **** Harewood.

Yep that's right just focus on a manager's bad signings. Let's ignore the three sixth-placed finishes, victories against Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, the FA Cup run and Carling Cup final. With hindsight and looking at the records of his two predecessors I'd say he was pretty rubbish wasn't he?!

As for the fallout with Lerner, I believe he wanted to sign Scott Parker to replace Milner but Randy wouldn't agree. Then just days after MON had left we signed Ireland but no-one seems to know who rubber stamped that deal!

Yep that's right just focus on a manager's bad signings. Let's ignore the three sixth-placed finishes, victories against Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, the FA Cup run and Carling Cup final. With hindsight and looking at the records of his two predecessors I'd say he was pretty rubbish wasn't he?!

As for the fallout with Lerner, I believe he wanted to sign Scott Parker to replace Milner but Randy wouldn't agree. Then just days after MON had left we signed Ireland but no-one seems to know who rubber stamped that deal!

Those finishes were only achieved by completely overspending on player acquisitions and the associated wages. Spend £20m on two defenders in Davies and Cuellar? Find out that they're not very good? No problem, here's another £12m to replace them with Dunne and Collins.

If O'Neill hadn't had silly amounts of money to spend, he'd have got nowhere near the top 6.

Yep that's right just focus on a manager's bad signings. Let's ignore the three sixth-placed finishes, victories against Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, the FA Cup run and Carling Cup final.

Big deal, with the amount of cash he spunked up the wall we should have achieved more.

The inbreds achieved more than us, they actually won some silverware..

Yep that's right just focus on a manager's bad signings. Let's ignore the three sixth-placed finishes, victories against Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, the FA Cup run and Carling Cup final.

Big deal, with the amount of cash he spunked up the wall we should have achieved more.

The inbreds achieved more than us, they actually won some silverware..

The point is he closed the gap. He had to spend lots of money quickly to do that. He made mistakes in the transfer market but so does every manager. As time goes on in a job managers tend to learn from their mistakes too. O'Neill knew how to regularly to get results and was a great motivator. I'm fed up of hearing fans arguing that he wasn't good enough for a Villa side that could have realistically got relegated twice in the three years before his reign. The stats prove he was. A regular sixth-placed finish is a fantastic achievement for any club outside of the 'Big Four'.

Do you believe if he had spent any less we would have got that close to the top four? Do you believe any other manager would have achieved a lot more in under five years? Does Harry Redknapp get Spurs in the top four every year? Have we ever had the spending power of Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool or Arsenal? My answer to all those questions would be no. Some Villa fans wished for O'Neill to leave and I hope they now realise that old saying is one to always remember - 'be careful what you wish for'.

Those finishes were only achieved by completely overspending on player acquisitions and the associated wages. Spend £20m on two defenders in Davies and Cuellar? Find out that they're not very good? No problem, here's another £12m to replace them with Dunne and Collins.

If O'Neill hadn't had silly amounts of money to spend, he'd have got nowhere near the top 6.

On the example quoted, Davies was out injured long term and Cuellar was playing week in week out at right back at the time that Collins and Dunne were bought. So I would be interested to know what you think MON should have done about the centre back positions at that stage.

On the example quoted, Davies was out injured long term and Cuellar was playing week in week out at right back at the time that Collins and Dunne were bought. So I would be interested to know what you think MON should have done about the centre back positions at that stage.

Maybe keep Cahill...

Â