The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Maybe I should have worded that first sentence differently so you wouldn't need to take it out of the paragraph and highlight it out of context with the rest of what I wrote. I didn't mentioned badge of honour or a financial return as such however when you pump a good percentage of your own fortune into something with no return even in a gratitude sense from some quarters then it's a thankless task. Why the hell would anyone else put themselves into that situation? Lerner's problem was leaving the likes of Faulkner etc to run the club however as I stated in a previous post he has been stung for that. Well and truly.As you also mentioned the profit for an owner should come through the sale of the club and as a fan why the hell would I feel differently?

Let's get this straight, I am no fan of Lerner as I wasn't of Ellis and I don't give a toss how much he loses financially when he lets the club go as he will definitely lose out. Both have been poor for different reasons however the continual moaning about the net spend especially this season is what I will back him over. The club has always needed to to be self sustainable and he needed to right the wrongs with his appointments. He's doing that as far as I can see and therefore I have no need to slag him as some do. 

• Like 3

Owners are generally in a no win situation.....Huw Jenkins are few and far between that win.

For all his errors and I am not trying to play them down and as painful as some have been to us fans....I believe those poor decisions was made out of naivety as opposed to malicious intent.

• Like 2

So both Randy and Levy are playing financial shenanigans

Randy: Bleeding the club dry to pay off his debts... something worse than a relatively empty space in a region containing an overdensity of trees!

You wot? 

The current TV deal means guaranteed profits given our wage bill & net spend of ~0. 

Remember he also owns an asset that has at a minimum appreciated solely due to the improved TV deal. How much $$ is being extracted in the form of wages and other expenses etc 

by Randy and his crew?? He sold the Browns in 2012 to generate cash... wonder how much he lost/hw levered up he was in the 2007-2011 period.

That has been true in recent times, but I am a more optimistic that Sherwood, Fox, Wilkins and co are slowly starting to change things for the better. Always difficult if the top clubs (+ media) target our best players, but that’s true for 75% of the PL.  If that happens we cash in, make a healthy profit and (hopefully) use the money wisely to strengthen.  Or, we try and do what Everton did with John Stones.  IF we can start to climb the table playing better football again our image and status will start to improve among players .  If we are seen as an improving and ambitious club the  ‘pool’ of alternative clubs should slowly start to reduce.  Lots of ‘Ifs’ and ‘buts’ – and Mr Lerner n the background – but we live in hope!

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

We need to get to 2/3 steps forward 1 step back......as opposed to years of,1 step forward 2/3 steps back.

with good decision making & sensible funding, it will eventually turn.

• Like 1

If we are seen as an improving and ambitious club the  ‘pool’ of alternative clubs should slowly start to reduce.  

very true, that line.

Edited by TRO

Agreed, if we hold on to our best players.....

The days of clubs like Aston Villa being able to hold on to their best players are long gone.

Really? How true is that .  To be honest given the size of the TV deals I think clubs are more likely to hold onto players.  Evernot retained Stones when in the past he'd have gone for 25M.  WBA similar with Berhaino and he has done himself no favours in his response to that.  To be honest I think clubs can now fight harder to retain their best talent because of the higher income

So both Randy and Levy are playing financial shenanigans

Randy: Bleeding the club dry to pay off his debts... something worse than a relatively empty space in a region containing an overdensity of trees!

One of the most oft repeated and ignorant lies when it comes to Lerner. He has never to my knowledge removed any money from the club and put it in his pocket. 

He's far from being the best owner in the league - but he has never taken money out of the club. 

• Like 2

The days of clubs like Aston Villa being able to hold on to their best players are long gone.

Really? How true is that .  To be honest given the size of the TV deals I think clubs are more likely to hold onto players.  Evernot retained Stones when in the past he'd have gone for 25M.  WBA similar with Berhaino and he has done himself no favours in his response to that.  To be honest I think clubs can now fight harder to retain their best talent because of the higher income

Berahino and Stones will not be at their current clubs for long though, the leaving process has only been delayed by 6 to 12 months

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's always the same thing though isn't it

"next season we will be top 10"

A club of our stature should simply not be fighting relegation ever

Corrected ;) 

Â