The Randy Lerner thread

CI

other fans have come to me and said "Lerner is ruining your club, what is going on" - and as always, outsiders with no links see it very clearly.

Pedants corner.

If they 'see it clearly', why would they ask 'what is going on' ?

other fans have come to me and said "Lerner is ruining your club, what is going on" - and as always, outsiders with no links see it very clearly.

Pedants corner.

If they 'see it clearly', why would they ask 'what is going on' ?

Well yes, but they are asking what is he up to, turning a club like Villa into bottom-dwelling battlers.

(Although, not sure we do battle!)

• Like 1

So, in another time, the signing of Peter Withe showed a lack of respect to the club? How different our history might have been.

So you think the hiring of McLeish was keeping with this respect you think he always shows for us?

Purely an opinion, which is fine, as VT is about opinions. But your opinion is based purely on the fact that something didn't happen that you think should have happened.

Again this just shows your desperation to back Lerner no matter what was happening at the club. For 3 consecutive years this squad has needed a boost in January. Look at the funding made available during the last 3 January windows.

Poor decision making is not gambling

Extreme cost cutting and trying to survive is though. Again I'll refer back to January windows to show the gamble of survival while keeping costs low.

Lerner has made mistake after mistake, and just as people use the "Lambert gets an easy ride as he was after McLeish", Lerner does because he isn't Doug. Funny how other teams are able to progress and run a club to be the best it can be, whereas all we can do is run a club like a championship club and cross our fingers. The lack of financial help to a new manager, who has been told to sell the high earners, but then given less than 40m net to build a SQUAD, is one of the reasons why we are in the position we are.

I'm still waiting for your list of mistakes following the appointment of McLeish.

You make it sound as though running a club is a piece of piss. 

The guy who wrote article about us being up sale in 'The Sun' has tweeted that he doesn't think the rumours about Randy having found a buyer are true because he's asking for too much.

So, in another time, the signing of Peter Withe showed a lack of respect to the club? How different our history might have been.

So you think the hiring of McLeish was keeping with this respect you think he always shows for us?

Purely an opinion, which is fine, as VT is about opinions. But your opinion is based purely on the fact that something didn't happen that you think should have happened.

Again this just shows your desperation to back Lerner no matter what was happening at the club. For 3 consecutive years this squad has needed a boost in January. Look at the funding made available during the last 3 January windows.

Extreme cost cutting and trying to survive is though. Again I'll refer back to January windows to show the gamble of survival while keeping costs low.

BJ10, you send the same question around and around, and once again resort to making inaccurate judgements on the poster that you disagree with, in this case, me.

The idea of debate is to listen to the other side and, whether you agree or not, show some respect for their right to have opinion.

Perhaps better not to continue this one with you. I'll leave you to the side debate with others of VT editorial policy ;)

• Like 3

Typically there is a large private jet due to BHX late this evening from an unusual Middle East origin (not Riyadh)

It is another charter company owned one, so no indication as to who may be on it, if anyone.

It may have passengers on board, or it may just be positioning in empty to operate an outbound charter from BHX. There is a local lady who charters to take her kids to Barbados during school holidays, which I believe may have started, and she uses various aircraft from different companies.

Only posting because it does tie in with the 'they will arrive late Saturday' post of the other day, but it could well be another pinch of salt job.

When it departs, I'll keep an eye out as to where.

Once again, informing what I have observed. I know nothing else.

Has the Charter Plane departed BHX yet? any indications as to where it has gone?

Typically there is a large private jet due to BHX late this evening from an unusual Middle East origin (not Riyadh)

It is another charter company owned one, so no indication as to who may be on it, if anyone.

It may have passengers on board, or it may just be positioning in empty to operate an outbound charter from BHX. There is a local lady who charters to take her kids to Barbados during school holidays, which I believe may have started, and she uses various aircraft from different companies.

Only posting because it does tie in with the 'they will arrive late Saturday' post of the other day, but it could well be another pinch of salt job.

When it departs, I'll keep an eye out as to where.

Once again, informing what I have observed. I know nothing else.

Has the Charter Plane departed BHX yet? any indications as to where it has gone?

No and no

For me the most frustrating thing about Lerner is his complete secrecy. Surely some sort of statement of intent wouldn't be too hard to post online, that would be something. Hiding away just makes him look utterly disinterested.

Yes. The lack of communication has not helped at all, we have no clear idea what the aspirations for this great club are. 

The guy who wrote article about us being up sale in 'The Sun' has tweeted that he doesn't think the rumours about Randy having found a buyer are true because he's asking for too much.

Well he is right, there has been no 'sale' yet. But there are a number of interested parties who are waiting for Lerner to back down.

• Like 1

I listed some.

And why is that the cut off point? Do the previous years not count?

Not really, no - that was 2 years ago and things have changed a lot since then. 

Edited by lexicon

BJ10, you send the same question around and around, and once again resort to making inaccurate judgements on the poster that you disagree with, in this case, me.

The idea of debate is to listen to the other side and, whether you agree or not, show some respect for their right to have opinion.

Perhaps better not to continue this one with you. I'll leave you to the side debate with others of VT editorial policy ;)

I've asked the same question as you've done a great job of dodging having to answer them. Which again speaks volumes about your opinion of Mr Lerner while your club is a mess.

I listed some.

And why is that the cut off point? Do the previous years not count?

Not really, no - that was 3 years ago and things have changed a lot since then.

Yes they have changed. Because of those mistakes in the past. But yeah they don't count.

How much is 'too much'?

The club is capitalised at £223m, so is the owner expected to sell at say one third of that amount?

If someone knocks the door, I would expect the asking price to be £250m. If that somebody turns out to be a bona fide bidder, as opposed to a tyre kicker,  then I would expect the club to be sold for £150m-£200m.

• Like 1

For me the most frustrating thing about Lerner is his complete secrecy. Surely some sort of statement of intent wouldn't be too hard to post online, that would be something. Hiding away just makes him look utterly disinterested.

Yes. The lack of communication has not helped at all, we have no clear idea what the aspirations for this great club are. 

That's true.

Sheik Mansour (if that's his name) can get away with similar (saying now't and almost never going) at Man City because things are going well there. But when things start to go wonky, it's imperitive that the leader communicates with the people who need to hear.

Now it's also possible for someone to be a financial owner, but be totally hands off, delegating the leadership role to an active, er, leader.

It appears to be the case that we have neither.

What we've heard is all the stuff about the club being self sufficient, which is fine as a thing, but it's not the only thing that a football club is supposed to be for or about.

The accounts clearly show that finanance was a major problem, and needed sorting out, and of course that unfortunately has a bad impact on the level of play we see. It's impossible for it not to.

But we've pretty much only heard about the money side of things. There's been nothing about the football side of things. And the core purpose of Villa is football. It's what we pay to see, or what we follow on the radio or telly or internet or press, or all of those.

The same problem affected the previous chairman. He was of course only to pleased to get him mug on the telly or wherever and tells us all about himself, but there was very little about anything other than money

and himself. Ultimately the same information vacuum was there (if a vaccum can be anywhere, seeing as it's an absence of anything).

So anyway, we don't know what the plan is for the team and the club. We know there's "don't spend more than you earn", but going to watch "not spending more than you earn" doesn't seem awfully enticing as a concept.

My concern and the evidence I can see, is that there isn't anything beyond that, though. As has been said, we don't know what we're for or where we're trying to go.

• Like 4

Well he is right, there has been no 'sale' yet. But there are a number of interested parties who are waiting for Lerner to back down.

Well let's hope he does back down and everyone gets a fair deal.

Some thought the extreme cost cutting was part of a plan to enable us to go again and be competitive. If it was actually a plan to enable Lerner to sell the club and minimise his losses I wonder how some will then view him?

That doesn't fit this idea that Lerner respects us.

Some thought the extreme cost cutting was part of a plan to enable us to go again and be competitive. If it was actually a plan to enable Lerner to sell the club and minimise his losses I wonder how some will then view him?

We actually don't know which one it is yet. Could be neither. Could be just wanting to keep surviving on the cheap while collecting the tv money. Thing is, as the accounts clearly show - they're not doing a good job at cost cutting at all. One thing's certain though, if anyone expected them to slash the wage bill in half only to spend again, even if more sensibly, then that's pure fantasy land.

How much is 'too much'?

The club is capitalised at £223m, so is the owner expected to sell at say one third of that amount?

If someone knocks the door, I would expect the asking price to be £250m. If that somebody turns out to be a bona fide bidder, as opposed to a tyre kicker,  then I would expect the club to be sold for £150m-£200m.

Well I'm sure a few chancers might try their luck I remember some of the people being linked with us when Ellis was selling.

200m is a big chunk of anyone's wealth so lets hope these prospective owners have deep pockets.

• Like 1

Â