The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Dalian Wanda group are looking to invest in the UK. Maybe there is some truth to the Nicola Cortese rumours.

Where did you read that?

I saw it on another forum, and DWG have recently declared they are investing in the UK.

LONDON (Reuters) - Dalian Wanda, the property developer headed by China's richest man, plans to invest up to 3 billion pounds ($5 billion) in regeneration projects in Britain, Britain's prime minister said on Friday.

Prime Minister David Cameron unveiled the investment after meeting Dalian Wanda's chairman Wang Jianlin in Davos this week. It comes after Cameron led the largest-ever British mission to China last December that involved about 100 business people.

"When I met Chairman Wang Jianlin during my recent trade visit to China, I encouraged him to make further investment into Britain. So I'm delighted that Wanda has decided to invest 2-3 billion pounds in regeneration projects so soon after my visit," Cameron said.

"This will help to create jobs in Britain and it's a great example of how we can benefit from foreign investment."

Last year Cameron launched a government-backed body to help foreign investors identify and fund UK regeneration projects after securing international funds for the Battersea Power Station project and Chinese investment for London's Nine Elms and Royal Albert Dock and Manchester City Airport.

He said 100 billion pounds worth of possible projects were on the table but on Friday he did not outline where Dalian Wanda's investment would go.

Wang is China's richest man with a net worth of $14 billion according to Forbes magazine. Dalian Wanda, a privately-held conglomerate that owns over $60 billion in hotels, commercial properties and department stores, has expanded rapidly outside China in recent years.

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKBREA0N15M20140124?irpc=932

Edited by av1

Dalian Wanda group are looking to invest in the UK. Maybe there is some truth to the Nicola Cortese rumours.

Where did you read that?

I saw it on another forum, and DWG have recently declared they are investing in the UK.

Do you have a link to the forum i'd like to read it. Anything to make me think things can get better.

Where did you read that?

Do you have a link to the forum i'd like to read it. Anything to make me think things can get better.

It was on Villa Blog a while back. One poster was told that Lerner is selling from a solicitor, and believes Cortese is fronting a consortium to purchase the club. Interestingly DWG have ruled out buying Southampton FC and we have coincidentally been growing popular in China.  

people basically want an oil merchant to come in and pump hundreds of millions into the club yet again.

I don't think there's many who would be against that but if you think that's all anyone who criticises Lerner wants then you don't read posts very well.

As an aside, by the way, I would absolutely be against this.  It's always nice to have money spent on improving a squad, but I'd honestly hate to be Man City or Chelsea.  Sounds weird, doesn't it?

However, I really like the local things that the club still has.  For example, I enjoy having kevan on here and reading about Jack Grealish's plights in the early days as a footballer.  The fact that we promote players from within our own academy to play for the club.  That we've not just had the soul of our club completely taken away.  It's "bad enough" that we have a foreign owner, but I'd probably lose most of my interest in Villa if we became an oil club.

Chelsea currently play 1 player that has come through their academy, and he was taken from West Ham as a youngster.  No thanks.

I found this to be most interesting. I understand the point you've made and why you've made it but you can still retain your identity and be successful.

It would however be a balancing act between supporters and a new owner but even if that owner wanted to change the name of our club, the colour of our kit or rely mainly on investing in players outside of our academy if we began to achieve the same success as Man City or Chelsea I do not think there would be many supporters who would turn their back on the club on a point of principle.   

Funny enough I said the other day after he left Southampton he would be the best January transfer window signing.

As always this is just rumour at the moment but it could be could news, who knows really takeovers are hit and miss.

Â