The Randy Lerner thread

CI

We have been fire-fighting now since Oneill left.

I am hoping that Lerner, in agreement with Lambert, has a long term plan.

The club has now largely been made financially stable, and I would like to think that beginning in this summer's transfer window money will be released to add better quality players, and gradually more added in each succeeding window.

If, however, the financial constraints continue, I will have to conclude that Lerner intends only to keep the club ticking over, mid-table, safe, but ultimately boring.

• Like 2

Downing and Carroll basically leveled out the ridiculous Torres fee, though.  Spurs signings arguably covered by the Bale signing (and Levy having an infamously tight wage control over the club).  These clubs both have more commercial streams than Villa as well - especially Liverpool.

Chelsea/Man City/Man Utd can make poor signing after poor signing and simply gloss over it by pumping more money into another signing.  There's just no recompense for their mistakes.  Didn't work out?  We'll throw another £30m at the problem!  It's not reality - not at all.  The Matic signing underpins this.  "Sold" for £5m - bought back for £21m.  Money isn't an issue.

We simply can't operate on this footing, and neither can most clubs in the league.

your point is correct, they can absorb bad signings better than us.....but paradoxically they don't/havn't made as many poor signings as us.

they may squander bigger sums in their bad signings, but they don't make as many in terms of sheer numbers.

BJ10 - Did you actually celebrate that night?

Did you actually celebrate the night Dennis Mortimer lifted the European Cup?

Or did you just drown your self in eternal misery?

Bit young for Mortimer and absolutely loved that night against Blackburn and the trip to Wembley (apart from the result)

Did you cheer and celebrate when we won the league cup under Doug?

Downing and Carroll basically leveled out the ridiculous Torres fee, though.  Spurs signings arguably covered by the Bale signing (and Levy having an infamously tight wage control over the club).  These clubs both have more commercial streams than Villa as well - especially Liverpool.

Chelsea/Man City/Man Utd can make poor signing after poor signing and simply gloss over it by pumping more money into another signing.  There's just no recompense for their mistakes.  Didn't work out?  We'll throw another £30m at the problem!  It's not reality - not at all.  The Matic signing underpins this.  "Sold" for £5m - bought back for £21m.  Money isn't an issue.

We simply can't operate on this footing, and neither can most clubs in the league.

your point is correct, they can absorb bad signings better than us.....but paradoxically they don't/havn't made as many poor signings as us.

they may squander bigger sums in their bad signings, but they don't make as many in terms of sheer numbers.

Not sure I agree with that. Thing is, in the market they are shopping in they should know the players are at the very least decent/solid PL players. The risk in the bargain basement is that some just aren't up to it at all.

Not sure I agree with that. Thing is, in the market they are shopping in they should know the players are at the very least decent/solid PL players. The risk in the bargain basement is that some just aren't up to it at all.

but the bargain basement is just recently, those signings have not sent the club in to a financial downward spiral, that has resulted in to an austerity campaign.

....And yes we have been in the market you suggest, thats where the problems have stemmed from.

take a little trip back to yesteryear, withe the likes of Curtis Davies and Carlos Quellar, Marlon Harewood, Darren Bent and Habib Beye, not to mention Hutton and warnock, just to mention a few.....hardly bargain basement. do you think all that loss has been written off with a magic wand.

I do get the distinct impression some folk seem to think that bad buys can be dismissed in a flash.....these albatrosses are with you for seasons, it takes yonks to get them out of your hair.

a manager can sign a load of crap and take someone else seasons to get out of it.

When Randy took us over we were in a pretty bad state and we had a few years of joy after that. Id say we are now in a worse state than when he took over but at least still in the premier league for now.

Out of interest, where were Swansea and Southampton at the same time Randy took over us? Some owners take clubs forward. Others slowly destroy them.

Bit young for Mortimer and absolutely loved that night against Blackburn and the trip to Wembley (apart from the result)

Yes I did & I'm still celebrating now.

We are a great Club.

Agreed?

When Randy took us over we were in a pretty bad state and we had a few years of joy after that. Id say we are now in a worse state than when he took over but at least still in the premier league for now.

Out of interest, where were Swansea and Southampton at the same time Randy took over us? Some owners take clubs forward. Others slowly destroy them.

all those players that i mentioned in my previous posts.....did Randy choose any of them?

Yes I did & I'm still celebrating now.

We are a great Club.

Agreed?

Well there you go. You hated Doug but celebrated moments with him in charge so why would you think I wouldn't do the same.

I think we're a great club run by an idiotic billionnaire making sure he comes out of his investment OK.

• Like 1

There is a pretty good article about Southampton & Cortese in one of the Swedish papers today:

http://bloggar.aftonbladet.se/premierleague/2014/01/17/cortese-angeln-med-jarnhand/

Obviously it's in swedish so you'll have to google translate and that's never good, but none the less.

Someone like Cortese (or Cortese himself) is imo vital if we are ever going to success with this constand rebuilding/transistion.

I don't think it's possible for a manager to do everything himself, and as we learned with MON it's not wise to give the manager too much controle.

Presonaly i don't think Lambert is skilled enough to reshape the club even if given time, but if he is that good he will be snapped up by a bigger and richer club in a few seasons.

Hence why we must have someone else at the club who handles the football issues and the strategy, otherwise it will be a new strategy with every new manager. Just like it's been with MON - Houllier - McLiesh - Lambert.

No foundation

Edited by sne

all those players that i mentioned in my previous posts.....did Randy choose any of them?

I should hope not. My point was more the bigger picture rather than zooming in on individual managers. Some owners make deceive decisions that work, others don't.

Recent example of when Southampton sacked their manager that was doing ok for Pochettino. Very controversial decision that worked. If Lerner were to attempt something similar the chances are it would be destined to fail.

I'd love for Randy to give it another go, I miss the way things were and think it is such a shame things turned sour. All we need is to bring in players similar to Bertrand! We can then move forward and grow. It is a shame he has given up and I think he will be gone by June.

We just need one thing right now... HOPE!

I should hope not. My point was more the bigger picture rather than zooming in on individual managers. Some owners make deceive decisions that work, others don't.

Recent example of when Southampton sacked their manager that was doing ok for Pochettino. Very controversial decision that worked. If Lerner were to attempt something similar the chances are it would be destined to fail.

Its was never the owners decision at Southampton though! So maybe it was Faulkner's decision of finding a manager. Lerner would have just authorised it, this is why he still gets my vote, but Faulkner........????

Its was never the owners decision at Southampton though! So maybe it was Faulkner's decision of finding a manager. Lerner would have just authorised it, this is why he still gets my vote, but Faulkner........????

I don't think this is true but say it was. Why would you have faith in an owner who 100% trusted a man with no football background picking a manager?

I don't think this is true but say it was. Why would you have faith in an owner who 100% trusted a man with no football background picking a manager?

Hmmm, Pochettino, Pellegrini, Rodgers, Mourinho.........

All picked by men with 'no football background'

Whatever 'football background' is...

Â