The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Initially I was against the idea but the more I think about it maybe it is what we need.

I've been a Villa fan for 27 years so I haven't seen much success apart from a tin pot trophy in 94 and 96. I'm now thoroughly of the opinion that we are shit so we need a big change in order to compete!

Villa are a pointless club at the moment just making up the numbers and has already been stated nobody cares about us outside of Birmingham.

• Like 2

Overall, I'm still grateful to Lerner.

But ultimately he's risked our premiership survival and is damaging our ability to become competitive again in the long term so he doesn't lose out.

A billionnaire causing problems for our club so he doesn't Lose out financially doesn't sit right with me.

premiership survival we wouldnt have a chance to defend without him buying club in 06

But ultimately he's risked our premiership survival and is damaging our ability to become competitive again in the long term so he doesn't lose out.

A billionnaire causing problems for our club so he doesn't Lose out financially doesn't sit right with me.

I've explained my reasons in my post.

Just out interest - is there anyone out there who is still on board with Lerner ?  - ie do you still beleive that once the finances are sorted we can move forward under his ownership - not a witch hunt - just trying to gauge what Level of support Lerner still has ?

I've always been 100% behind Randy & Lambo & all though I am not privy to what goes on behind the scenes I'm pretty confident that these guys actually do know what they're doing & the current necessary financial economic policy & investment in young, vibrant potential that has been implemented will eventually reap it's reward. The fact that we are now actively looking to bring in some more experience too will only aid the Clubs further development.

Once we are firmly back on an even keel our acceleration will hopefully become more discernible.

That's where I sit as well. Considering the mess we were in after the Mcleish year I think everyone has done a good job in very tough circumstances. Randy has seemingly learnt from his mistakes whereas O'Neill never did judging by Sunderland's state. We are in a pretty decent position to push on now in a sustainable way which is as much as I can ask for really. I don't feel easy having a go at Randy for not donating £30m of his fortune a year.

For Red Bull to make a success of the Villa they are going to have to spend a fortune on buying us, then a further fortune in getting players in to make us competitive. They will be making huge losses in buying us just as a marketing gimmick, would they really make the money back elsewhere to make it worthwhile? How much did Spurs spend in the summer, and they won't make it into the Champions League, how much will we need to spend? They would surely have to change our name, at least abroad, to get the maximum revenue. I just don't see how it could work, unless it's just as a minor shareholder with Randy still in control.

The reason Red Bull spend a fortune on sports teams and marketing is because the alternative is to lose that money in tax.  

I believe their previous precedent of completely rebranding football teams wouldn't necessarily apply in the Premier League.  The MLS and Austria for instance have nowhere near the exposure that the BPL does.  If Red Bull bought a team in our league, the marketing message carries far and wide without having to resort to a complete overhaul.

Also, I'm not sure if Red Bull as a company could buy a PL football club itself - I'm sure I read that it would have to be a consortium of Dietrich Mateschitz and co.

This would allow Red Bull to sponsor the shirts and stands as the club would not downed by Red Bull directly. 

Just because Red Bull may be involved in a takeover doesnt mean the clubs name has to change.  It will be on our shirts, all around the stadium, maybe even the name of the stadium.  End of the day Red Bull make money and are successful.  I'd be willing to take the chance on them if it means getting rid of Lerner.

I have to admit I just dont know where to stand on Lerner. I understand the cutbacks but did they need to be so drastic that we cant compete with the lesser clubs in the transfer market? I'm sure it has already been said numerous times but Lerner really needs to let the fans know what the plans are for OUR club.

I have to admit I just dont know where to stand on Lerner. I understand the cutbacks but did they need to be so drastic that we cant compete with the lesser clubs in the transfer market? I'm sure it has already been said numerous times but Lerner really needs to let the fans know what the plans are for OUR club.

He will not do that because he doesnt care what the fans thing.  The Mcleish debacle proved that.

premiership survival we wouldnt have a chance to defend without him buying club in 06

I've read this a couple of times. While I don't think we'd have done well I don't think it was certain we'd have gone down.

Before the January window when Lerner first spent we got 25 points from our first 20 league games. That's the squad DOL left with just the addition of petrov. The squad wasn't great but I don't think relegation was as certain as it's claimed.

He will not do that because he doesnt care what the fans thing.  The Mcleish debacle proved that.

Randy Lerner has always been reticent. It's in his DNA. He does not court publicity but wishes to remain private. What on earth is wrong with that? Does Randy make mistakes? Ofcourse he does. Show me somebody who doesn't & I will show you a liar. However, Randy, as a business man & Villa fan, can't afford to lose his head whilst certain Villa fans are losing theirs.

Randy is nether a fool or an idiot. The facts are that he owns the Club & the fans will simply have to trust in his judgement because ultimately you/we are powerless to do anything about it. The CEO has outlined the clubs policies on Randy's behalf. Those are the facts.

As a supporter you will either have to like it or lump it. That is your choice. Am I happy to see our club struggling? Ofcourse not. Do I understand why our new strategy & policy was introduced & think it prudent for the long term health of the Club? Absolutely. Will I remain 100% patient in my support of the Club until we turn it all around again? Yes.Yes.Yes, 100% absolutely. Surely, given those circumstances, critics should be applauding Paul Lambert & backing him to the hilt for the job he is doing & for his longer term aims & ambitions for the club. I certainly am.

I'll tell you another two people who are giving Lambert this fantastic show of faith & loyalty too, Randy Lerner & Paul Faulkner. That IMO is to their eternal credit.

I know the critics on here only want & crave success for the Club & are desperate to see it.

Don't you also believe that,  as the owner too, Randy Lerner also wants just exactly that? Surely we all do?

If you don't believe that, which is your prerogative, then it strongly suggests that you think otherwise & that Randy just wants to be a complete & utter failure, the knock on effect meaning his whole investment in the club goes down the pan.

Does anybody seriously believe Randy is daft enough to allow that to happen?

• Like 1

I've read this a couple of times. While I don't think we'd have done well I don't think it was certain we'd have gone down.

Before the January window when Lerner first spent we got 25 points from our first 20 league games. That's the squad DOL left with just the addition of petrov. The squad wasn't great but I don't think relegation was as certain as it's claimed.

Plus a considerably better manager, who wouldn't have been in charge if Lerner hadn't taken over (again, not a defence of Lerner)

Plus a considerably better manager, who wouldn't have been in charge if Lerner hadn't taken over (again, not a defence of Lerner)

True but I think doug would have sacked DOL. Like I said I don't think we'd have been great just don't think relegation was as certain as others.

Everyone would have left during that summer too.  There was the infamous players letter and Barry was on the verge of a cut price move to Pompey.  The change in owner and manager gave the club a massive psychological lift that would have translated to the field as well as allowing us to keep the few good players we had.

• Like 3

Villa revolution a lot of what you said is true but I also know there were once over 3000 fans that turned up at Villa park as well as many thousands of others practically begging the guy not to employ Alex McLeish. For him to still proceed to employ such a poor manager was this biggest sign of disrespect I have ever seen an owner of a club to their fans. I am not saying he doesn’t want the club to be successful I am saying he does not care how the fans feel.

I believe he'd like us to be successful but I think he'd currently rather survive on the cheap. And while we average 37,000 and continue to get the TV money I'm sure he will be thrilled

I'm sure he wanted the Browns to be successful to and look how much he balls that up. Some people in his position just can’t cut it.   He needs to just cut his loss's and leave Sports teams well alone. Try a different hobby.

Villa revolution a lot of what you said is true but I also know there were once over 3000 fans that turned up at Villa park as well as many thousands of others practically begging the guy not to employ Alex McLeish. For him to still proceed to employ such a poor manager was this biggest sign of disrespect I have ever seen an owner of a club to their fans. I am not saying he doesn’t want the club to be successful I am saying he does not care how the fans feel.

As I stated in my post Amo, Randy does make mistakes & this proved to be one of them. However, did he learn from this & provide remedial action? We all know that ultimately he did. I think Chairman like Tan & the guy at Hull are guilty of bigger sins.

Randy Lerner has always been reticent. It's in his DNA. He does not court publicity but wishes to remain private. What on earth is wrong with that? Does Randy make mistakes? Ofcourse he does. Show me somebody who doesn't & I will show you a liar. However, Randy, as a business man & Villa fan, can't afford to lose his head whilst certain Villa fans are losing theirs.

Randy is nether a fool or an idiot. The facts are that he owns the Club & the fans will simply have to trust in his judgement because ultimately you/we are powerless to do anything about it. The CEO has outlined the clubs policies on Randy's behalf. Those are the facts.

As a supporter you will either have to like it or lump it. That is your choice. Am I happy to see our club struggling? Ofcourse not. Do I understand why our new strategy & policy was introduced & think it prudent for the long term health of the Club? Absolutely. Will I remain 100% patient in my support of the Club until we turn it all around again? Yes.Yes.Yes, 100% absolutely. Surely, given those circumstances, critics should be applauding Paul Lambert & backing him to the hilt for the job he is doing & for his longer term aims & ambitions for the club. I certainly am.

I'll tell you another two people who are giving Lambert this fantastic show of faith & loyalty too, Randy Lerner & Paul Faulkner. That IMO is to their eternal credit.

I know the critics on here only want & crave success for the Club & are desperate to see it.

Don't you also believe that,  as the owner too, Randy Lerner also wants just exactly that? Surely we all do?

If you don't believe that, which is your prerogative, then it strongly suggests that you think otherwise & that Randy just wants to be a complete & utter failure, the knock on effect meaning his whole investment in the club goes down the pan.

Does anybody seriously believe Randy is daft enough to allow that to happen?

I don't think he's interested.

Who else would invest £100m - £200m in football in a football club - then not attend a home game in over a year ?  - that would seem 'Daft' - but thats whats happened.

I doubt Aston Villa crosses Randy's mind from one day to the next - thats what people are failing to grasp.....

Â