The Randy Lerner thread

CI

So we are back to square one. Lerner has been at the club now 7 years and what do we have to show for it? **** all. No trophies and relegation battles for each of the last three seasons.

If we come out of it being one of the few self sufficient clubs in the league, while retaining our premier league place, we'll be incredibly well placed for the future and it'll all have been worthwhile
A massive IF is needed with this delightful dream.

Of course it's his plan, it's the one that makes him the most profit when he sells

So you're hoping he finds a buyer as soon as we reach this magical point?

So we have to suffer and gamble while he gets money back from his loans in the hope that when it's finally clear (god knows how long that will take) that he then sells us to someone better.

Stuff all fans dream of for their football club.

I'm not hoping anything tbh. I'm more concerned with us progressing on the pitch with the resources available, and I think we're showing signs of that

Not the whole "ambition" thing again. Us keeping Benteke for at least another season is far more "ambitious" than spunking loads of money on mediocre players.

So you think we're an ambitious club then?
To an extent yes.

And that's why Randy Lerner is a happy man.

Care to elaborate on that?

Not the whole "ambition" thing again. Us keeping Benteke for at least another season is far more "ambitious" than spunking loads of money on mediocre players.

So you think we're an ambitious club then?
To an extent yes.
And that's why Randy Lerner is a happy man.

Care to elaborate on that?

I think our current owner would be happy that some fans consider us ambitious given that we're currently experiencing a level of consistent crap that we've not had for a very long time.

I think he'd be pleased that after 3 consecutive relegation worried years and probably 3 consecutive bottom half finishes that some still consider us ambitious.

Edited by Big_John_10

I think our current owner would be happy that some fans consider us ambitious given that we're currently experiencing a level of consistent crap that we've not had for a very long time.

I think he'd be pleased that after 3 consecutive relegation worried years and probably 3 consecutive bottom half finishes that some still consider us ambitious.

I consider us ambitious because I can see that there is a plan in place to move us up. Just because it isn't working perfectly at the moment and just because we aren't spending tons of money doesn't mean we aren't ambitious.

I consider us ambitious because I can see that there is a plan in place to move us up. Just because it isn't working perfectly at the moment and just because we aren't spending tons of money doesn't mean we aren't ambitious.

What would take for you to consider there isn't a plan - other than reign in the spending and hope for the best ?

I'd love to say different but we aren't an ambitious club. Our ambition of achieving a level of relative success died under Lerner when it seemed to come as some kind of shock to him that he couldn't get our revenue up to a level to sustain us having the sixth highest wage bill. Whilst finishing sixth as it happens.

Since then aside from a brief spell of panic under the useless Monsieur Houllier, where it took the best part of 30 mill and 100k+ a week commitment in wages on a couple of players to drag us out the deep shit Houllier had got us in to, Lerner has gone about recklessly cutting our wage bill. This alongside a couple of extremely poor managerial choices as not surprisingly seen us in the bottom third of the table for much of the the last 3 seasons battling relegation.

At the very least you should be able to balance the books at a club the size of Aston Villa and still show some decent ambition and be looking to finish top 8. You do that and attendances will average around the 38k-40k mark (they averaged over 40k just a handful of years ago) and if you can get some positive momentum going, a bit of a feel good factor around the place and you may just sneak a top 6 finish, place in Europe and maybe get yourself a cup win. The fact we seem a long way off just doing the bare minimum of what our level of ambitions/expectations should be is nothing short of a disgrace and Lerner should hang his head in shame.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

What would take for you to consider there isn't a plan - other than reign in the spending and hope for the best ?

It would take more than opinions of peopple that have no inside knowledge of what goes on with regards to strategy at the club.

As I said on another thread, this summer will be the final chance for Lerner to prove he has any remnant of ambition left for this football club. If he doesn't allow the manager to at least have the Benteke money to spend then it will be clear he is just looking to recoup as much money as possible before looking to sell.

Did you think we were ambitious when we hired Mcleish?

How about 6 months ago when you wanted lambert sacked?

Like I said Lerner will be happy

Did you think we were ambitious when we hired Mcleish?

How about 6 months ago when you wanted lambert sacked?

Like I said Lerner will be happy

No I don't. I never claimed we have always been ambitious.

What does my past opinions on Lambert have to do with cub ambition? You seem to constantly try and shoehorn that into completely irrelevant discussions.

I don't think we're an ambitious club right now. In MON's days, an ambitious club maybe.

Right now, we're probably a stabilizing club. 

Perfectly put. I totally agree. It's not how we'd like it, ideally, but it is what it is. Unfortunately it's how we have to be too.

The ambition has become to be stable again, before (maybe) having another go. The "stable" model isn't as exciting as the way other clubs go, or we went in the past, but it's a proven one, and doesn't mean there can be no footballing achievement. It's not a sugar rush type of running the club, more pasta and carbohydrates. It's healthier, less glamourous, but actually the sane way.  

FFS

Ambitious, translation spend like there is no tommorrow.

The sugar daddy is pulling the reins in, deal with it. Stop throwing the toys out.

You should probably try reading before getting frustrated. No one is demanding spending like there's no tomorrow.

And as for your second point, should we be happy no matter what the owner does? We didn't accept it under Doug, why should we just because it's Lerner?

At the end of the day, we didn't get relegated. Skin of our teeth and all, but we got out of it and reversed three years of maligned players and bloated salaries (RL's fault, yes) in one year.

We did survive and cut the wage bill. I just disagree that it was a sane approach given how close we came to a relegation that could have set us back years.

I don't think we're an ambitious club right now. In MON's days, an ambitious club maybe.

Perfectly put. I totally agree. It's not how we'd like it, ideally, but it is what it is. Unfortunately it's how we have to be too.

The ambition has become to be stable again, before (maybe) having another go. The "stable" model isn't as exciting as the way other clubs go, or we went in the past, but it's a proven one, and doesn't mean there can be no footballing achievement. It's not a sugar rush type of running the club, more pasta and carbohydrates. It's healthier, less glamourous, but actually the sane way.

Pete do you really believe that? I agree that he is trying to make the club financially viable, but I very much doubts that the plan is to have another go during his ownership.

I believe that Lerner bit off more than he could chew when he overdosed on his first "sugar rush" and that he has no ambition for Aston Villa other than to sell it when the time & finances are right.

FFS

Ambitious, translation spend like there is no tommorrow.

The sugar daddy is pulling the reins in, deal with it. Stop throwing the toys out.

You should probably try reading before getting frustrated. No one is demanding spending like there's no tomorrow.

And as for your second point, should we be happy no matter what the owner does? We didn't accept it under Doug, why should we just because it's Lerner?

At the end of the day, we didn't get relegated. Skin of our teeth and all, but we got out of it and reversed three years of maligned players and bloated salaries (RL's fault, yes) in one year.

We did survive and cut the wage bill. I just disagree that it was a sane approach given how close we came to a relegation that could have set us back years.

A little bit more, lots more, or ridiculously more spending doesn't matter. The owner wan't his money back.

Did the non acceptance under Doug get anywhere, did Doug give a ****. Or did Doug in the end just have enough and sell.

Pete do you really believe that? I agree that he is trying to make the club financially viable, but I very much doubts that the plan is to have another go during his ownership.

I believe that Lerner bit off more than he could chew when he overdosed on his first "sugar rush" and that he has no ambition for Aston Villa other than to sell it when the time & finances are right.

It could go both ways. But neither of us really have a way of knowing nor is there enough evidence either way. I think he'll have one more go unless PL is somehow dumber than all of us and came here to do a stopgap job. Lambert doesn't strike me as the type to do so. Edited by Kwan

It could go both ways. But neither of us really have a way of knowing nor is there enough evidence either way. I think he'll have one more go unless PL is somehow dumber than all of us and came here to do a stopgap job. Lambert doesn't strike me as the type to do so.

Lambert came here as he's probably on more money, a club like villa looks better on his CV and we have the potential to be better than Norwich.

I don't think lambert joining indicates we'll have another go in the future.

Â